Developing a Safe and Efficient Way to Transport Stem Cells Into the Inner Ear

Discussion in 'Research News' started by beeeep, Sep 5, 2016.

1. Aaron123

Aaron123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      00/0000
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Irrelevant
      Auditory neuropathy does not itself involve hair cells.

Yes.
      People seem to use "hair cell like cells" to mean different things so it is important to look at the papers to see what characteristics they do and do not possess. However, it is not the case that they then have the potential to become hair cells. They are the end result of the attempt to regenerate hair cells.

• Like Like x 1
    2. Reinier
      Not amused

Reinier Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Explosion starting engine
      @Aaron123 Thanks to take time to answer my questions. Much appreciated.

• Like Like x 1
    3. Nick Pyzik
      Depressed

Nick Pyzik Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/23/15
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Listening to in-ear headphones & playing in a band
      Aaron,

I appreciate the informational response!

Would you say you have a pretty reasonable understanding of how the spiral ganglion neurons work within the inner ear? I have a question or two on the spiral ganglion that I was wondering if I could ask you?

• Like Like x 1
    4. Jim51042

Jim51042 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/28/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Headphone use
      This means that they could travel beyond the site of damage in the inner ear, and more worryingly, divide uncontrollably and form tumours

This was from the article. How often do stem cell treatment lead to tumours?

5. Twitch

Twitch Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Given that most IV stem cells get stuck in your lungs (Google pulmonary first pass), I would imagine it's rare for tumours to form from them

6. Jim51042

Jim51042 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/28/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Headphone use
      @Twitch I think this approach actually is injecting the cell into the ear. A gel delivery mechanism is being tested. I was just wondering how likely stem cells without being in a medium would turn to cancer.

7. Jim51042

Jim51042 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/28/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Headphone use
      I been thinking about this and presuming one still has enough intact haircells a recovery of say only 10% of your original SGNs should have large impact on hearing thresholds and presumably tinnitus. If Rivolta's the stem cell gel injections adds maybe 2% of you SGNs following a 10 month growth period and you go for 5-10 injections (likely there would be diminishing SGNs returns with each injection) why wouldn't this be a cure today. I get the worry about the long term viability of those neurons but long period of nerve growth for the gerbils implies that those nerves will not revert. It almost seem like the only thing holding this back right now is the risk of cancer and the economic model. That is why I'm curious how likely with the type of cell Rivolta is using that cancer grow can occur.

The other big brake would be the economics and logistics behind the stem cell treatments. With a method available there would be overwhelming demand. Fortunately Rivolta is using the UK Stem Cell Bank to distribute to other research facility were treatments could be applied. Seem like instead of wondering if there is going to be a cure we rather we should be asking is there going to be a cancer free cure because it seem like Rivolta is on the cusp of an effective treatment for T.