Diagnosed with Secondary Inner Ear Hydrops

Discussion in 'Support' started by mjf009, Aug 27, 2016.

1. mjf009

mjf009 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus / ear infection
      Hi there I've been suffering with a low rumbling noise in my ear for over a month now.

Couldn't wait for NHS so paid for a private ENT in London.

I got this tinnitus from a blocked ear during a cold.

He has dignosed me with secondary hydrops similar to Ménière’s disease symptoms.

Anyway my tinnitus does go sometimes even within a 24 period which gives me some relief. It must be caused due to fluid in the inner ear as it changes as i move my head.

I'm on a low salt diet, loads of water and serc 16. Has anyone suffered the same any ideas on vitamins to take or therapies to try? I know this could be permanent as well so please only positive comments.

Also will I eventually get used to this low rumble its really depressing me badly.:cry:

Many thanks

Matt

• Like Like x 1
    2. volsung37

volsung37 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      I've had this sound for over a month now. I've kinda got used to it.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      mjf009

mjf009 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus / ear infection
      How did you get yours?

4. heartohelp

heartohelp Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise exposure
      Welcome to the forum mjf!

Can you describe your tinnitus? I'm happy that you mention it comes and goes, which i think is great. With your secondary disease, do you also suffer from vertigo and hearing loss? From what you posted so far, I'm really glad to hear you are on a low salt diet as well as anti-vertigo medications. My suggestion for you is to maximize the positive things that can affect your life altogether, mainly by:

1. Exercising daily (running/yoga to get that blood pumping and flowing)
      2. Search the forum here to possibly add supplements or herbals (you can experiment with them as I and others have [currently I'm taking german grade ginkgo-biloba])
      3. Practice daily meditation, anxiety reducing techniques or deep-breathing exercises
      4. Doing your best to maintain POSITIVE and strong. In terms of my T which I got through noise exposure, in my honest opinion remaining positive (it will be hard, but you build upon it 1 day at a time) is one of the key steps to promoting and strengthening yourself when you feel anxious or stressed out

In terms of habituation or normalizing yourself to T, it will come as the months go by. I'll be rooting for you. In the meantime, try your best to relax and make sure you get enough sleep.

Regards!

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      mjf009

mjf009 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus / ear infection
      Thanks for this. I didnt get any hearing loss although I had a hearing test done. It showed slight hearing loss on some of the frequencys but I think that I have always had this. Im just hoping this will improve or get better. However at the moment im trying to get used to this hum but am really struggling.
      I get slight vertigo when the noise stops and also fullness in the ear. Last week things started to improve where the noise would stop for most of the night. But the last couple of days have been awful as its full on loud. I know not everyone recovers from this but does it take along time fof the inner ear to repair itself? The ent i saw said that because it stops it should beable to reverse itself.

6. volsung37

volsung37 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      I'm not sure how I got the hum. I noticed it off and on last year but it went away. It did seem to recur after I started using antihistamines to sleep. Perhaps it was a side effect of that.