Did Anyone Else Have a Second Noise Trauma That Resulted in a Hiss Changing to a High-Pitch Tone?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Bill Bauer, Jun 5, 2017.

1. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Four months after the onset of my tinnitus, I had a second noise incident that resulted in a spike. My tinnitus used to change all of the time - sometimes it would be a high-pitch tone, and sometimes it would be a hiss. A hiss was easier to ignore. Following the second noise incident, it is a high-pitch tone 99% of the time.

Did anyone else experience something similar?!

2. racerfish
      No Mood

racerfish Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise / T worsened with antiobiotics
      It's happened to me on several occasions and in all instances the pure tone went back to a hissing sound.

• Like Like x 1
    3. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I have experienced all what you have when I first got my tinnitus and a whole lot more. In time your tinnitus will calm down and so will the hyperacuis if it is present. You have had tinnitus for a short time so the prospects of recovery are good. I advise you to seek the help of a Hearing Therapist or Audiologist who's trained in the management of tinnitus and treatment for it. This is important and seek medical help if you are finding it difficult to cope with emotionally. More information is in my article: Tinnitus, A Personal View.

Michael

• Like Like x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Thank you very much for sharing this! This means a lot, and gives me hope.

Thank you, Michael!

5. racerfish
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Just to add, in all instances I took methylprednisolone and supplements almost immediately after exposure.

• Like Like x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I got a 7-day supply of prednisone (50mg per day). Is prednisone similar to/same as methylprednisolone? To get a doctor to prescribe methylprednisolone, should I just say that I had an acoustic trauma? Would you remember how much methylprednisolone you took (#days/dose)?

What supplements did you take?

Thank you for the clarification!

7. racerfish
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      In terms of the purpose there's little difference between the two other than different drug interactions and where the kind of inflammation you're trying to treat. Also, (according to my doctor) methylprednisolone is usually better tolerated and that's just what I've always been prescribed.

In all cases, I took a 6 day taper course of 4 mg pills starting with 24 mgs.

Also to add, the last 2 times I took it my T spiked further temporarily and then settled back down to baseline.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Thank you! I was planning to visit another doctor to get more prednisone. Now I will ask for methylprednisolone.

How long did it take before you heard a hiss again, would you remember?

I started prendisone 60 hours after the acoustic trauma. I am kicking myself for not going to the emergency to get prednisone sooner. But my acoustic trauma consisted of me holding a phone (that had its volume set to max) next to my bad ear, and having the person on the other end talk loudly. I moved my hand away within a second. Would you say that your secondary acoustic traumas were more intense?

9. racerfish
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      The last couple of times it was about 10 days before the pure tones went away.

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      This is very encouraging. I just finished day four...

Thank you!

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      The supplements that I have been taking are:
      Ginkgo biloba (Ginkgold brand)
      Magnesium
      NAC
      vinpocetine
      zinc
      Vitamin B complex
      R-Lipoic Acid
      N-Acetyl-L-Carnitine
      Nicotinamide Riboside
      Pterostilbene

Did you take any supplements that are not on this list?

12. racerfish
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      O
      The ones I took were magnesium, NAC, and zinc. That's it.

13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Thank you. I will make sure to take zinc.

14. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      You are welcome @Bill Bauer Contiune taking the Gingko biloba as it will improve your hearing and could help your tinnitus. I take the brand Avogel, it is in tincture form (liquid) and considered one of the best. I get mine from Amazon. It is also a good idea to continue with taking magnisium as it can help repair nerves. The auditory system is made up of nerves. When I had my noise trauma I took it for many months and believed it helped.
      Best of luck
      Michael

• Like Like x 1
    15. Applejuice

Applejuice Member

Tinnitus Since:
      20-3-2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      What dose is recommended for both Magnesium and Ginko?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    16. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      It is best to follow the instructions on the bottle whatever Ginkgo or magnesium brand you take. Ginkgo made by Avogel is one of the best. Dosage: 15drops in a little water 3 times a day.
      Michael

• Like Like x 2
    17. TuneOut

TuneOut Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Worsened 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
      Nice formula. You might consider adding melatonin, which is a strong antioxidant that has been shown reduce damage from overexposure. Also, one study showed benefit from the combination of A,C,E with magnesium.

Here's a quote from a paper I was just looking over:

"Acute acoustic trauma (AAT) results in oxidative stress to the cochlea through overproduction of cellular reactive oxygen, nitrogen, and other free radical species appearing from 1 h to 10 days after noise exposure. "

• Useful Useful x 1
    18. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      I read in two medical studies that B12 is best for somatosensory tinnitus.

19. Applejuice

Applejuice Member

Tinnitus Since:
      20-3-2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Is that something you have to take immediately or can you consume this later on?

20. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      It is my understanding that one is to take these vitamins for months, so that eventually one might see some improvement.

21. TuneOut

TuneOut Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Worsened 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
      Vitamin B12 deficiency in patients with chronic-tinnitus and noise-induced hearing loss

Abstract

This study examines the incidence of vitamin B12 deficiency in three groups of noise-exposed subjects: patients with chronic tinnitus and noise-induced hearing loss (NIHL), patients with NIHL only, and subjects demonstrating normal hearing.

A group of 113 army personnel exposed to military noise was studied. The mean age was 39 years. Chronic tinnitus and NIHL existed in 57 subjects. NIHL alone was observed in 29 subjects, and 27 subjects had normal audiograms. All subjects were queried about noice exposure and dietary habits. Vitamin B12 serum levels were measured.

Patients with tinnitus and NIHL exhibited vitamin B12 deficiency in 47% of cases (blood levels ⩽ 250 pg/mL). This was significantly more (P < .023) compared with NIHL and normal subjects who exhibited vitamin B12 deficiency in 27% and 19%, respectively.

These observations suggest a relationship between vitamin B12 deficiency and dysfunction of the auditory pathway. Some improvement in tinnitus and associated complaints were observed in 12 patients following vitamin B12 replacement therapy. The authors recommend that routine vitamin B12 serum levels be determined when evaluating patients for chronic tinnitus.

• Informative Informative x 1
    22. PaulBe

PaulBe Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably sound, though never proven
      After nearly four years, my understanding is that none of this stuff makes the slightest difference. The oft-recommended magnesium was a great cathartic though, if nothing else.

• Agree Agree x 1
    23. teacher34

teacher34 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Prescription megadose ibuprofin combined with noise exposure
      How did the prednisone work for your T?

24. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I didn't observe any significant changes after I took prednisone. I didn't finish the entire course. A doctor at the emergency gave me a 7-day supply, and referred me to an ENT. A course of prednisone is normally two weeks + taper off period. The ENT was supposed to prescribe the rest of the prednisone for me. When ENT asked me "how are you?" I burst into tears. He took it as a sign that I haven't been responding well to steroids. He refused to prescribe prednisone. I should have insisted, but I didn't.

In any case, it is possible that I would have been worse off now, had I not taken those 7 prednisone pills... Who knows...

The second time I took prednisone was after my secondary aucoustic trauma. Again I didn't take the whole 14-day course, and again I didn't really see any difference right away...

• Helpful Helpful x 2
    25. New Guy
      Doh

New Guy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      3/18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced Hearing Loss
      @ Bill Bauer

This is one of the few places where men can still be men and admit we cry.

• Agree Agree x 3