Diet's Effect on Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Treatments' started by Shay O'Connor, Aug 29, 2012.

1. Sherri786
      Dreaming

Sherri786 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Hi click, yes for sure diet has made a huge difference, darn thing is very calm and only spikes when I eat the wrong food. I forgot to mention I've decreased my salt intake by 80 % at least. I take only natural sweetners like Stevia , and that in very limited amount. Basically just eating a lot of steamed veges and quinoa. Once I got really mad at my T and ate a bowl full of ice cream, ugh it spiked like mad the next day. Also taking Passion flower and camomile which keeps the nervous system relaxed.

• Like Like x 1
    2. Sherri786
      Dreaming

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Do pls send me your blog URL too !

3. jazz
      No Mood

jazz Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      eardrum rupture from virus; barotrauma from ETD

@click I also think diet is a factor for many people--myself included. My reason for posting is that caffeine surprisingly does not bother me--but so many other foods do spike my tinnitus. I think it's important that people experiment to see what their triggers are and keep a food diary. It's too easy to eliminate everything--which will only cause more stress IMHO.

That said, keeping a diary has to be done daily, and you need to record all your foods. For people whose tinnitus cycles--like mine--I need to try a food several times before I can be sure it is irritating me. I wish I had a one-to-one relationship with food (i.e., eat food A, get a tinnitus spike an hour later). But I don't. Food is important, but so are other factors that I've yet to identify.

• Like Like x 1
    4. jazz
      No Mood

jazz Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @click I'd like your blog url too! Thanks in advance!!

5. Jade
      Lucky

Jade Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/07/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Genetics, Beats by Dre, Work
      @click,

Hey you :LOL:

Yes please I would love if you could message me the URL, and thank you..... I hope your having a great day!

6. Miss lavender

Miss lavender Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/01/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus
      Hey Click. Would love it also. Very popular tonight Click. You are doing a great job on this forum.

7. Ty shattuck

Ty shattuck Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2013
      I've read on and off of scenarios where certain T sufferers conditions' worsened due to a high sodium intake. It's either paranoia or that claim is accurate.. I tested this by eating a few slices of pizza yesterday and now my T is almost unbearably loud like how it was initially. Masking noises are barely working at the moment.. Now I'm beginning to see a pattern.. I've lived with this ailment (loudly) for the longest 7 days of my life and I can say with confidence that it's an uphill battle. Please share any information relating to how and or what sodium does to cause this terrible effect.

• Like Like x 1
    8. Sherri786
      Dreaming

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Yes salt does cause my T to spike too, not sure why.

9. Ty shattuck

Ty shattuck Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2013
      All want is to eat pizza in peace :(

• Like Like x 2
    10. Sherri786
      Dreaming

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      You bet ! Tired of all the bland things I eat these days, no caffeine, sugar, salt, gluten etc sigh.

11. Leah

Leah Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      "Tinnitus is the term for ringing in the ears. While a ringing sound is the most often reported, other sounds can also be heard which range from a low roaring sound to a high pitched squeaking noise. The noise can be constant, or it can occur only occasionally. Nutrition and food icon1.png choices play a huge role in tinnitus in both the frequency and severity of the noise. In many cases, poor nutrition is the sole reason for the presence of tinnitus and the condition disappears when a proper diet is consumed. In most cases, Tinnitus is caused by poor circulation and oxygen supply to the inner ear, poor glucose delivery to the cells of the inner ear, or the presence of a substance that increases neurotransmission drastically. Each of these major causes of Tinnitus is directly related to a problem with food and nutrition."

• Informative Informative x 1
    12. daedalus

daedalus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2007
      Sorry nut the claim that tinnitus can be treated by diet has been made and debunked a zillion times. That is disinformation either by people who want to feel important or by people who are going to sell you that innefective diet.

• Like Like x 2
    13. Leah

Leah Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Yep, and people who pray for a cure, spend money.

14. jazz
      No Mood

jazz Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Sherri786 I do believe for some people diet is important. It's just so hard to determine what in your diet is affecting your tinnitus. It's unlikely that everything affects it. I'd keep a diary and take away one food at a time for a week or more. Then reintroduce one at a time. That's what I did/am doing. My tinnitus fluctuates--but in part this is just my brain and has nothing to do with my diet.

Since you write about sugar being one of your triggers, I do have an interesting 2004 study on hyperglycemia and tinnitus. Hyperglycemia results from insulin resistance. It's very common in women.

Here's the abstract and conclusion:

Tinnitus affects millions of people worldwide, and it signals the presence of several underlying diseases, including hyperinsulinemia. The aim of this study was to evaluate the response to dietary treatment in 80 patients with associated tinnitus and hyperinsulinemia. On the basis of data obtained by a questionnaire, two groups were established: One included patients who followed the prescribed diet; the other group included patients who did not comply with the treatment. The likelihood of improving tinnitus symptoms was fivefold higher in hyperinsulinemic patients who followed the diet than in those who did not (relative risk [RR], 5.34; 95% confidence interval [CI], 1.85-15.37; p < .05). In addition, resolution of tinnitus was reported by 15% of the patients who followed the diet as compared to 0% of those who did not. These findings underscore the importance of including hyperinsulinemia in the routine diagnostic investigation of patients with tinnitus regardless of whether associated with neurosensory dysacusis or vertigo (or both).

The results of our study show the great potential of dietary management to improve tinnitus in patients with carbohydrate metabolism disorder, independently of tinnitus intensity. Dietary management alone was associated with a fivefold increase in the probability of significant reduction in tinnitus. The fact that 76% of the patients who followed a specific diet achieved at least partial decrease of tinnitus symptoms reinforces the need for considering this metabolic disorder as a possible etiological diagnosis in the presence of tinnitus. As far as we know, the significant lessening of tinnitus symptoms observed in this study (with resolution in 15% of cases) has not been observed with any other types of treatment (drug therapy, for example).

The difficulty of treating tinnitus patients (who frequently present with associated depressive or anxiety disorders) is well-known. Therefore, a thorough investigation of associated metabolic alterations using the 5-hour glycemic and insulinemic curves, as performed in this study, should be part of the routine evaluation of patients with tinnitus and may result in significant easing in symptoms and quality of life. Only with the optimization of the diagnosis of metabolic alterations will we be able to correct or at least attenuate those disorders, which may have an extremely relevant impact on tinnitus.

Source: http://www.tinnitusjournal.com/detalhe_artigo.asp?id=458
      You might have your primary care doctor test you for insulin resistence. If you're fine, you can go back to eating sugar! :) I know how frustrating and inscrutable this disease can be! (n)

• Like Like x 1
    15. Sherri786
      Dreaming

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      That's very interesting Jazz, thank you so much , greatly appreciate it. Will ask my doctor about it, and if he can send me for a test. Yes recently it seems diet is having a huge impact on whether I'll have a calm T day or not !testing and retesting all food one by one to make sure, and supplements too ! Seems like a lot of supplements were making the T spike, I've finally discovered that taking a Multi vitamin in the morning keeps the T low it's " nature's way" ( brand ) and it called" Alive ". I'll test it another week to be sure. Btw would live to eat ice cream right now :(

Thank you so much. Take care.

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    16. Sherri786
      Dreaming

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Jazz, so far I can say for sure that sugar, salt, and red chilli pepper , caffeine and soda makes the T go crazy. Am testing gluten now and will be sure about it in a week or so.

17. jazz
      No Mood

jazz Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Sherri786

All the items you list--sugar, soda, caffeine, and chili peppers--all make sense. I've never heard of gluten influencing tinnitus, but if bread makes you spike, then it's definitely possible. Your comment on supplements also makes sense: they can likewise influence your tinnitus. I've never heard of vitamins C, E, GABA spiking tinnitus. But I know zinc worked very well for me for several months, then it became too stimulative. Perhaps, it built up in my system. Minerals and vitamins that are fat soluble may become toxic. In fact, I used to like vitamin E because it's so good for the ear, but it's fat soluble. Taking it every day worried me then I read about vitamin E being implicated in some cancers. That's when I quite the vitamin, but I will still take a small doses if part of a multivitamin.

Nature's Way makes quality vitamins. So does Nature's Made, and it's readily available. I also like Jarrow's formulations, which is available iHerb.com. Are you taking magnesium? That's one mineral that I do like, and it agrees with me. I take magnesium glycinate; but there are others. Please read the magnesium thread--if you haven't already! :) BTW, the magnesium has just about cured my migraines. I used to get several a month and more when the seasons changed. (I'm so lucky to have tinnitus and the most terrible sinuses. I know they are related.) In the year since I've started magnesium, I've had less than five migraines. And none were severe or lasted more than a few hours.

I would definitely have that insulin resistance test. You have nothing to loose, and if you do have a problem metabolizing carbohydrates--especially sugar--diet might be able to cure you! There are many low carbohydrate/low glycemic diets to choose from if you're insulin resistant. But I would avoid Atkins. It's all meat, cheese, and eggs. I diet many guys like, I know! But it's unhealthy, and I don't believe anyone really lives on it.

And I also like ice cream, especially the light brands! :D

Good luck and keep us posted! Remember, you will get better--but it may take a little while.

Take care and be strong! :cat:

18. Sherri786
      Dreaming

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Hello Jazz, thank you so much for your post, appreciate it. Well I'm not too sure about gluten , but just avoiding gluten and wheat to see if it'll make any difference. Ok now it makes sense why some supplements makes the T spike, it builds up in the system ! Now it makes sense , I had taken so much Gingko Biloba in the beginning and now I can't because it spikes T, I was so confused lol. Thank you so much for mentioning the fat soluble, I had no clue about it ! I'll check out the I herb.com site.
      Yes, just recently I started taking Magnesium , which Karen suggested, it's made a huge difference to the T volume plus I sleep so much better ! I'm taking magnesium chelate before bedtime. Oh didnt know it would help with the migraines too !glad to hear that it has helped your migraines , I'll let my daughter know as she gets migraines now and then too. For sure I'll ask my doctor for the insulin resistance test,
      I live in a v small town north of Canada , here doctors are really nightmarish lol , I hope they know about the insulin test !

What a torture it is to have this T, on spike days I get v v depressed, thank god for this forum and angels like you and Karen . Take care, best wishes and keep in touch.
      Thank you once again.

• Like Like x 1
    19. Sherri786
      Dreaming

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Oh forgot to mention that even an apple causes a spike for me, then I read online that apple has the most sugar among fruits.

20. Deep
      Balanced

Deep Member

Hey didn't ready the whooole post due to lack of time. But may I ask has annnnyone been on an MSG free diet or has been in the past? All this talk but no talk of anyone noting improvements?

Sorry if I missed something.

21. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      Yes, several people here have tried MSG free diets, though now days it is a very tough challenge to do. I tried it for a few months. Can't say it made a difference in my T.

I believe I felt better but it is difficult to know if it was a result of the MSG free diet, a placebo effect or something else like the overall improvement in my wellbeing. Needless to say, I don't really restrict my diet any longer because of T or anything else. I eat healthy but also do eat what I want (in moderation). I try not to deprive myself of enjoying the little things in life and I feel just as good. You have to find that right balance which makes you lead as normal life as you can and co-exist with your T.

22. just1morething
      Benevolent

just1morething Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      barotrauma, noise exposure, TMJ, neck?
      Yeah, I agree......I get tired of drinking prune juice every day to keep my noise down! I guess its the iron in it that helps.lol

23. Leah

Leah Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Curious, how did you figure that out?

24. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      Aww that sounds gross, especially daily. I think I would have to just put up with the T.

• Like Like x 1
    25. just1morething
      Benevolent

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I hate to say I was just being somewhat sarcastic, but there is a lot of iron in it, that part is true.:D

• Like Like x 1
    26. Leah

Leah Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Guess I am too literal :)

• Like Like x 1
    27. just1morething
      Benevolent

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sorry about that Leah. My tinnitus is out of control right now and it is a serious matter. I probably ate & drank the wrong things today. Meds that use to work, don't work today, and it becomes a vicious cycle that becomes hard to stop. The joke may be on me.:( I am also out of prune juice!

28. just1morething
      Benevolent

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I am coming to the conclusion that it is more about sleep and less about diet, for me anyway. I used CPAP for sleep apnea on Sunday night and had a great Monday, very little noise. I seemed to be able to eat and drink what I wanted, with minimal change in my T.

I think diet is somewhat important, but gets magnified with poor sleep, which can become a vicious cycle night after night. If you have sleep apnea or another sleep disorder, you may break that cycle with CPAP or possibly by another means. A sleep study is probably warranted for people with bad tinnitus IMHO.

I could also be wrong, but it sounds better than prune juice anyway. lol

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    29. jazz
      No Mood

jazz Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @just1morething You are right to include sleep with diet for influencing tinnitus levels. And I'm glad your CPAP has helped reduce your tinnitus. :) All else being equal, I know sleep deprivation increases my noise. That said, I also know that a little pepperoni is a dangerous thing and so I've learned to live without it!

The only way to know how diet affects tinnitus is to hold other factors constant--such as sleep--then measure each food individually. If you think that caffeine irritates your tinnitus, for example, then it would be unwise to drink a pot of coffee and eat a ham sandwich, the latter containing MSG. In this scenario, if you did spike--and had little sleep the evening before--it would be wrong to blame the caffeine for your spike.

In the real world, isolating one factor at a time is difficult to achieve and so people remain confused whether dietary factors influence their tinnitus. To further complicate matters, stress is known to irritate tinnitus and so this also has to be considered when evaluating diet.

Of course, there are also days when you do everything wrong and still have little or no noise. For many people who cycle, like myself, there are also brain-based issues at work which remain unknown. That's where more research is needed.

• Like Like x 1
    30. just1morething
      Benevolent

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Just a update on my current opinion on Diet's Effect on Tinnitus. I had several "feeling normal days" when my tinnitus was very low. I think my better sleep was a big factor in that. I decided to try eating a couple pieces of very salty pizza Sunday and my tinnitus got bad and is thru the roof today--high pitched piercing ringing that is punishing me severely.

When I am wrong, I am wrong, as I now think diet is big factor in my current tinnitus levels, as click and others have thought. It could be that my noise is in a bad cycle also, liked jazz referred to. My neck is also bothering me today, but I am not sure if that is related to my head noise. I think the RF Neuro Ablation of my neck nerves was a bad decision in hindsight.

• Like Like x 2