Diet's Effect on Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Treatments' started by Shay O'Connor, Aug 29, 2012.

1. just1morething
      Benevolent

just1morething Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      It started
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad luck
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=f3UszgtxDiI#t=3

2. AJL

AJL Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Any thoughts on things to avoid as it pertains to dietary intake that you have found that impacted your level of tinnitus. As I am new to this I hope this makes sense and I am asking this question in the correct forum. Finely, thanks to those that responded to my last post (introduce yourself) it helped me a lot.

3. Relic Hunter
      Cynical

Relic Hunter Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/1990
      There has been a lot of discussion here and on other forums in regard to diet and its effect both good and bad. It seems to be a matter of the individual rather than a whole.

Most people seem to think avoiding any stimulates such as caffeine, alcohol, chocolate, sugar can cause worsening of their tinnitus. I have never heard of anything that produces a reduction in T except alcohol. I wonder if that is the alcohol itself or just a presumption of less tinnitus due to its effect on the brain. I wish there was a food or drink that would actually reduce my tinnitus. I would buy it by the boatload.

I my own personal case I have never found anything that causes an immediate increase in my tinnitus. However out of habit I limit myself on caffeine, sugar, and especially salt.

Alcohol at first had a very calming effect on my tinnitus and I drank to much of it just for that effect. Now it seems that just a drink or two increases my tinnitus. Perhaps that is good as I would probably be an alcoholic now with tinnitus.

4. Riikka

Riikka Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2007
      I have only felt that alcohol has an effect on my tinnitus, it seems to increase it. I haven't noticed any difference in tinnitus volume on the days when I had eaten chocolate/sugar and on the days when I hadn't. I haven't tried giving up caffeine consumption. But I guess I like coffee and chocolate too much to give it up because of the tinnitus.

5. seal

seal Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2007
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      It might be that certain foods or drinks have influence on Tinnitus for some people (mainly alcohol and caffeine). but it's very important to try it out for yourself and not become a slave of the Tinnitus changing your diet completely just because it might worsen the Tinnitus. That will be a constant reminder of the disease and make you feel even more miserable than a glass of coke might make you feel if caffeine/sugar had an effect on you.

6. Lulubug69
      Artistic

Lulubug69 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/2013
      I've started to adjust my diet since T came into my life. No caffeine, no artificial sweeteners, less sugar and salt, no alcohol. It seems for me that they don't have a profound effect on the T if I indulge now. I had a caffeinated tea the other morning in hopes of ridding myself of a headache, (headache gone, T the same) no change. I had a small glass if wine, no change. I use salt sparingly now, no change. I'm not a sweets person but a cookie or two resulted in no change either. I did feel however, taking Ginkgo raised the level of T. I'm going to challenge that again in the future as I want to be sure that was the culprit. I believe we all may have personal triggers, but I believe stress would be #1 for a lot of us.

7. christine kauhane
      Sunshine

christine kauhane Member

Tinnitus Since:
      june 9th 2013
      wow good for you lulubug ! at least you know that you can enjoy some things like wine i use to love wine lol, i too added sweets back to my diet just a little. and a little salt ,,, enjoy the holidays we all deserve it (pumkin pie ) yummy lol ..

• Hug Hug x 1
    8. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Hi, Lulubug and Christine,

Now that I've had this increased tinnitus for over 3 years, I can truly say that most foods don't seem to affect my T. I don't drink caffeine, except an occasional glass of iced tea, but I have been known to eat chocolate, and I've added moderate salt back into my diet.

For me, gingko biloba and vinpocetine both made my tinnitus get worse. Lulubug, you are right to try getting off the gingko biloba to see if that is what caused your spike.

I hope everyone enjoys the holidays, without worrying too much about an increase in tinnitus!

• Like Like x 2
    9. christine kauhane
      Sunshine

christine kauhane Member

Tinnitus Since:
      june 9th 2013
      Aloha karen ,hope your spike goes away soon ill pray , wishing you a wonderful thanksgiving..

10. makoda

makoda Member

Tinnitus Since:
      I have found diet to have an affect on my tinnitus and hyperacusis. Salt I try to cut out of my diet as much as I can. Sugar does have some affect in the short term but its not enough that I try cutting it out. I do limit white sugar as much as I can but don't worry about natural sugars. also no caffeine or alcohol. And although I believe some foods are healthy like blueberries eating too much at once can give me a bad effect. Also try to stay away from anything with preservatives and dyes. That is what I have figured out anyway. So yes I think diet can help but its not the cure for the real problem.

11. Glen Morse
      Cold turkey

Glen Morse Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/08/2010
      I have improved my diet by eating more raw organic fruit and vegitables.
      I drink 5 glasses of steem distiled water first thing in the morning before eating or drinking anything else.
      I go running now listening to my ipod for 1 mile then walk 1 mile. not hard rock(mellow!) (I slowly worked up to the running though) I find that the exercise works best at a lake that I go to. The lake is 38 miles long and there is a park at the north end where I run. I really believe that some kind of energy comes off the lake. (Senica lake N.Y). I feel endorphen type of energy serging through me at times of my running to the point of complete joy.
      I do yoga.
      These are things I do to cope with this, these things do help me.
      I avoid fast food and alcohol. I gave up smoking everything including cigarettes.
      I listen to my wife, body and gut feelings to pinpoint what may be causing it.
      I started with a organic raw food diet at first, but I am so adicted to cooked meat that I do eat cooked food about a third of the time, but stick to nothing but fruit and of corse coffee up untill afternoon.

12. just1morething
      Benevolent

just1morething Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      It started
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad luck
      I ate fast food today and now have ringing and also a sore neck. It's either the fast food causing the spike or related to my neck. I hope it's my neck but worried it's diet. I will probably have to follow @Glen Morse advice. Perhaps I need more prune juice in my diet.:D

13. Glen Morse
      Cold turkey

Glen Morse Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/08/2010
      Thank you, just1morething,
      I like your advice too, Perhaps I need more prune juice in my diet.:D

14. My T Sucks

My T Sucks Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Unbearable spikes since July 2012
      I think it is mostly exacerbated by stress although there must have been a root, physiological reason for its onset. (For me it was benzodiazepine cessation) Take this past Friday for instance. I was having a wonderfully quiet day (I posted about it Friday in the AM). When I got home that evening, I had a love letter from the Tax Man indicating I owed him almost $1,500. It was at that particular moment my T level started to climb rapidly. Saturday came and I had screaming T all day. Today it's quieter albeit not as quiet as Friday but way better than yesterday. I've started keeping a log of my T levels with notes on each day about what I've eaten and how stressful my day was. It will take several months to complete but I'm hoping I can find some sort of correlation between diet, stress and T levels (at least for me anyway).

• Like Like x 2
    15. Stina
      Psychedelic

Stina Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/13
      How about in addition to making remarks about your stressful day you can do a bit of analyzing to why it made you nervous? In the example about the debt it it quite logical but sometimes people get nervous about more subjective things. I for example get nervous if my day doesnt go as planned (in my head I always have plan as to what I will do; for example school, yoga, work, studying). Maybe analysis will help you change the way you think a little and that way bring the levels down. That is if the ringing is connected to stress.

16. My T Sucks

My T Sucks Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Unbearable spikes since July 2012
      I agree that should be added to my log. The only issue I have with doing this type of analysis is that it will force me to think about my T on a daily basis. This and of itself may not prove to be productive in terms of my inevitable need to habituate to it. I'm going to do it anyway because I believe the data I gain from it may, at the very least, help me to better understand the how and why. I do know that on the quieter days my thought patterns line up in a neat and orderly fashion and my good moments seem 10x better.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    17. Vkis

Vkis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/16/2012
      manganese
      I made my own investigation of myself/ i see that many of you pointout tea as one of things should be out of diet/ the main chemical part of tea is manganese/ And I see manganese overlevel in my body/

18. Tara721
      Depressed

Tara721 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/01/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Has anyone noticed any foods that make their T better or worse? I'm thinking of trying some sort of "cleanse" to see if that helps at all. Nothing crazy, maybe just cutting out processed foods, sugars, etc. Basically anything that doesn't come from the ground!

19. Mark McDill
      Curious

Mark McDill Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Likely stress, anxiety, an antibiotic and nsaids

Tara
      In short, no.
      However, it's always a good idea (for permanent); that's what I've been doing just because it's healthy. Making a correlation between certain foods and T seems impossible. For example, comfort foods may have a lot of grease/msg/fat in them (said to be bad for T) but they make you feel good (so your anxiety goes down as does your T). I thought coffee was taboo for T sufferers, but I love my coffee (3/day) and it does nothing to my T.
      That being said, I've heard good things about fruit and its affect on T; once again, it's always good to get rid of free-radicals in your system.

Mark

20. Tara721
      Depressed

Tara721 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/01/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      I've been reading a bit online, to sum of what I've read, I should be giving up coffee, red wine, and chocolate. All of my favorite things! Not to make myself sound like a huge drinker, but I have been giving up drinking wine unless it is the weekend. I'm not so sure that I'd be able to give up my coffee though, that's a tough one!

21. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      No you don't have to give up any of those. There is no real scientific evidence that diet has anything to do with T. Yes, some people are sensitive to certain foods and their T may react but there's no absolute.

• Agree Agree x 2
    22. Asian

Asian Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4 weeks
      Does diet really affect tinnitus regardless of how you got it or which type it is ? ( head or neck injury, noise exposure, medications etc) . Does caffeine or fast foods or salts or any type of unhealthy foods affect any tinnitus type commonly for most individuals if not for all ? I feel some foods affect me the next day and not within a couple of hours. Not sure though :unsure:

23. Stina
      Psychedelic

Stina Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/13
      @Asian that depends on the person.For example for me no food or drink spikes it. However if your tinnitus does spike it is only temporary. I advise you not to monitor it too much. Focus your energy elsewhere. Just eat healthy food, as it is good for your body in the long perspective.

24. Kittyl
      Disapproved

Kittyl Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/01/2014
      Has anyone changed their diet and successfully reduced their tinnitus?
      Are there certain foods I should avoid?

25. Mr. Cartman
      Artistic

Mr. Cartman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      I have found salt (especially chips) to aggravate my T pretty bad.

• Like Like x 1
    26. Sound Wave
      Curious

Sound Wave Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably headphones
      I haven't yet found any linkages with diet and my T. Then again, I haven't really been looking. ;) I think that rigorous diet experiments take a lot of time and effort and that will remind you of your T a lot, which probably doesn't help with the habituation process...

27. Willie
      Shitfaced

Willie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/20/2010
      I can eat whatever I want and it really doesn't affect my t in the slightest. Mine is just there, constant, 24/7. Wish there was something I could do to at least make it variate in volume sometimes. :arghh:

28. Mr. Cartman
      Artistic

Mr. Cartman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      I think it relates to where your T originates from.

I had a small T that was related to hearing loss, and diet didnt effect it at all.

However, this T I have now will spike like crazy if I eat salt.. (and this T is not related to hearing loss according to my ENT and tests).
      But still, I got it from the noise of a bomb blast.

• Agree Agree x 1
    29. Sound Wave
      Curious

Sound Wave Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably headphones
    30. FERNANDO GIL

FERNANDO GIL Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Yes, some foods agarrava mu T as well. Orange juice for exanple.
      I think is leaver.