Diet's Effect on Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Treatments' started by Shay O'Connor, Aug 29, 2012.

1. Dr. Nagler

Dr. Nagler Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      I love junk food. I probably eat it a couple of times a week. I don't worry what's in it. I don't worry about what it does to my tinnitus, to my blood pressure, or to anything else. MSG or no MSG - I just don't care.

I guess it all comes down to how you choose to live your life.

Stephen Nagler

2. Yes. Sodium greatly affects my t. As does alcohol.

3. Dr. Nagler

Dr. Nagler Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      So you've cut out salt and alcohol?

smn

4. DebInAustralia
      Fine

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      30/12/13
      I do care what I put in my body. Not because of t, but because I value my health!

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. Dr. Nagler

Dr. Nagler Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      I value my health, too. I just don't let the search for good health dictate everything I do every minute of every day.

Now if you'll excuse me, there's a Big Mac with my name on it. :)

smn

6. Not yet! ;)... but it sure puts a damper on those glasses of wine.

.....speaking of big macs, I had one of those yesterday. ..and a&w onion rings!!..Needless to say it was a rough night. ...

• Funny Funny x 1
    7. Dr. Nagler

Dr. Nagler Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      Why was it a rough night? Did the onion rings give you gas?

smn
      (finishing his 2nd glass of wine)

8. gary
      Transparent

gary Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Who Knows
      I like your attitude regarding eating. Unfortunately I am diabetic I might have a Bacon Cheese Burger once in a blue moon, then feel bad when I test and 200 pops up on my meter...

9. Dr. Nagler

Dr. Nagler Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      My attitude regarding eating is: "I guess it all comes down to how you choose to live your life."

If I were a diabetic, I'd choose to live my life differently than I currently live it.

smn

10. Kathi
      Balanced

Kathi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/30/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      HFHL and stress
      For the first six months I completely gave up caffeine, sugar, alcohol, sodium and artificial sweeteners. Then one morning when I couldn't get moving, I decided to have my decaf coffee with a spoonful of sugar--I won't use artificial sweeteners--and nothing happened. The next week I added one tablespoon of real ground French Vanilla coffee to my decaf coffee--and nothing happened. I found out through more experimenting that I can have a beer or two or a couple of glasses of wine with nothing happening. I still maintain a low sodium diet and I don't take any meds OTC. I haven't had an ibuprofen in 7 months because they did cause a spike--although it could've been coincidence as my T was new at the time. :) I've been happier since I've stopped being so restrictive because for me, restrictive=fear of T. I was letting my tinnitus rule. Now I do what I want in moderation.

I even went to MacDonald's last week with my friend and had a quarter pounder w/cheese and a small order of fries--of which I ate half. Nothing happened with my T and I had a fun lunch. :)

11. Haha. No Dr Nagler, my ears were screaming. I've noticed the correlation too many times to put it down to coincidence. I realize you are habituated but I am not. Tinnitus that sounds like a train screeching on its brakes or a kettle whistling is starting to ruin my meals ( or drinks) perhaps I will reach a point of not caring..though in the meantime a little less sodium or alcohol in my diet isn't a bad thing..;)

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Useful Useful x 1
    12. Sound Wave
      Curious

Sound Wave Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably headphones
      This is an interesting article about Your Brain on Ketones. It says, "Ketogenic diets seem to favor glutamate becoming GABA rather than aspartate." As we know, GABA is an inhibitory neurotransmitter and asparate an excitatory and low GABA levels can increase tinnitus.

Has anybody tried fasting and/or ketogenic diet and what experiences do you have with them regarding to your T?

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/evolutionary-psychiatry/201104/your-brain-ketones

• Like Like x 1
    13. Frederick86

Frederick86 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2009
      @Sound Wave I recently started a thread about ketogenic diet, is in Alternative Treatments (I'm on a tablet and the forum gets slow, but you still can see it on first page). I'm very interested in trying, as I've also read anecdotal evidence of people getting their T better on paleo diet, which can be similar in terms of ketosis.

I also made a thread in Alternative about glutamate, if someone can't find it I could paste it here, but is also recent. I don't have doubts that diet and drinking has an effect, I've reduced stimulants and alcohol for the better. I had eliminated GSM and aspartame years ago with good results too (even then, my worsening seem to be auditory+somatic related.)

For those of you that want to avoid GSM and still find your T worsening with foods, take care of hidden GSM. In many countries the industries are allowed to label it under other names, such as "hydrolized protein", "flavouring" and others. Do a search, there are sites that list all the other names for it.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    14. Frederick86

Frederick86 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2009
      Continuing with the interest of the thread, diet, I found interesting info on the ways ketogenic diet affects the brain. It seems that not only it favours inhibitory neurotransmission, it also grows the number of mitochondria (then more ATP is produced, which sweep the excess of glutamate out), reduce the amount of ROS (reactive oxygen species) and the increase in DHA fats helps to reduce brain inflammation. All of this things, besides GABA production, can help tinnitus too.

http://blogs.scientificamerican.com...e-fat-fueled-brain-unnatural-or-advantageous/

A thing to consider if someone wants to try, in many places I see coconut oil proposed as one of the better fats for keto and paleo diets, and it surely is, but is also high in salycilates, which can be a problem for us as T sufferers.

These days I'm on my way to eliminate gluten and wheat, and want to try a paleo/keto (or cycling keto) approach, but I want to plan better about the fats issue (I need to see where I can find grass pastured organ meat, fats, and other quality stuff, as grain-fed animals are a problem in terms of quality of fatty acids.)

15. Dr. Nagler

Dr. Nagler Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      Continuing with the interest of the board, tinnitus, is there any data at all pointing to an actual demonstrable clinical benefit to a ketogenic diet in terms of tinnitus?

smn

16. alifalijohn

alifalijohn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/14
      Miss you! God Bless!

17. Frederick86

Frederick86 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2009
      @click It seems you have read data on this, I'm at the begining of more in-depth research (besides knowing about the neurotoxicity of GSM and aspartame since years ago.)

Have you read about experiences of people with T caused by noise exposure being helped by diets? Mine seems affected by stuff that messes with GABA, so I think keto is interesting, but I wonder if there is something even better... Have you read about kind of diets that help (besides restricting GSM)?

18. click
      Blah

click Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/04/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      Hi Frederick,

I only really know about my own experience. I struggled badly in the first few months of screaming T. I was very, very scared - scared that I wouldn't be able to run my company anymore, that I wouldn't be able to write new software, scared that my life had changed forever, that I'd never be happy again but mostly scared of the dam*** noise in my head. For months I was completely 'out of it'. I had just moved to Cornwall - to a sleepy village where there was absolute silence every night. I worried that it was being caused by some chemical, the overhead telephone wires, EMFs, Radon gas (there's a lot in Cornwall), the altitude - anything & everything. No sleep and anxiety meant that I didn't want to carry on. My best friend drove for 14 hours and literally dragged me to her home in France. And there I stayed for months - with her sleeping on the floor next to my bed. I was a complete & utter wreck.

I'd never had depression or any of the other things that I was reading about that seemed to be connected with T. No obvious noise had caused it & the useless private consultant I had seen could find no obvious cause either.

I'm a control freak and I was out of control so I was basically going slowly insane.

I hit on the idea that food was affecting it accidentally. Some days the T would disappear & I figured that there had to be a reason. I understand computer software but I don't understand the workings of the brain - and the more I read about the research and 'passing the brain barrier' etc - the more confused I became. I don't like being confused so I stopped reading about the research etc. and concentrated on the simplistic task of figuring out whether I was doing something different on the days when I had screaming T.

It took a long, long time and it was incredibly boring - writing down everything I consumed and did. For ages there didn't seem to be a pattern but eventually tenuous correlations became apparent.

The very nature of my T has changed a few times since the start and with each change some of the foods that previously affected it stopped - which made it more difficult to track. The main things I avoid are lemons, tea & anything with citric acid as an ingredient. And I keep salt to under 2g a day. There are a few other things but that's the core of what works for me.

I still come in here from time to time to try to help because Marrku, Erik and others helped me so much in the early days but mostly now I try to avoid reading about tinnitus as life is back to 'almost normal' . My days of obsessively reading everything I could find are over - thank goodness. :)

Apologies if this hasn't helped much & good luck with your research.

Click (aka Jane)

Think I better add that I have always avoided sweeteners & most additives etc. Way before T I was a vegan (until I became allergic to soy) & I've never been a fan of processed food. My diet has always been mainly organic & includes nuts, seeds, veg, organic eggs & very little meat. I hate all drugs - even aspirin & paracetamol - & I try to avoid antibiotics unless absolutely necessary because they have always made me feel ill.

• Like Like x 2
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    19. Frederick86

Frederick86 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2009
      @click Well I guess that won't do anything for me, besides my cause being different, I think I have passed many days without tea or citric acid and those things don't make a difference for me. But I'm also a control freak and I keep experimenting and seeing what I've done in the days is better. For now it seems is helped by more than 8 hours of sleep, quiet environments with a little of low volume ambient sound, and things that enhance GABA, so I'll keep looking for safe ways to increase GABA and auditory therapies the style of Notched Sound or Dichonics.

I'm very glad you're having a lot of silent time, and want to thank you for being still here to help :)

20. balobalob

balobalob Member

Tinnitus Since:
      june 2007
      All this seems so difficult to adjust to, so much self control when eating, difficult to realise within myself how badly 't' actually does harm me, how strict I'm prepared to be with my life, in the hope that there will be some improvement, all these year of perpetual sounds almost a way of life now, controlling my diet over a considerable period may just make life even more intolerable

21. MarkD
      Fine

MarkD Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Great post and thread. Wish i found it earlier. Its definitely a minefield out there and the easy solution to reading and interpteting all the labels is to prepare your own food.

Which makes me question your motives Dr. Nagler. Are you working for the big food producers or big pharma? ;)

22. caffclifton
      Supportive

caffclifton Member Benefactor Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      02/06/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Labyrinthitis (Inner ear infection)
      @Dr. Nagler @Kathi that's great that you can eat what you want. Gives me confidence to not restict my diet as i LOVE my food and LOVE tea!

23. Sound Wave
      Curious

Sound Wave Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably headphones
    24. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      I find no difference in my T, no matter what I do...booze, salt, sugar...just does not matter. I care less about my diet now than I did before I had T. I somehow think I deserve whatever feels/tastes good for putting up with this shit every day. There are only so many things I enjoy these days...foods and wine seem to be a couple. I could not imagine refraining, trying to gain maybe a 10 percent edge over my T just does not seem like it's worth it. I would rather not let my T completely rule me.

Eat, drink and be happy!

• Agree Agree x 5
      • Like Like x 1
    25. Ray Seddon
      Amused

Ray Seddon Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unprotected hearing damage
      I agree Telis - I am a coffee addict (BTW I had T long before I fell in love with coffee) and although I have a moderately restrictive diet (I'm insulin diabetic) I refuse to go without my coffee or my fish'n'chips every Friday night - I have the occasional meat pie or burger; a beer now and then and a scotch more than now and then. None of the above seems to have any effect - T screams on regardless. So, this damned thing is not going to rule my life... as you say, a few little pleasures for putting up with this shit 24/7.

26. MarkD
      Fine

MarkD Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Caffeine May Reduce Tinnitus Risk
      http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/08/13/caffeine-may-reduce-tinnitus-risk/

“We can’t conclude that caffeine is a cure for tinnitus,” said the lead author, Dr. Jordan T. Glicksman, a resident physician at the University of Western Ontario. “But our results should provide some assurance to people who do drink caffeine that it’s reasonable to continue doing so.”

27. MarkD
      Fine

MarkD Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
    28. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      I estimated I drank on average about 500mg of caffeine a day for years. Still got the T.....

• Agree Agree x 1
    29. Afeef
      Cowboy

Afeef Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      Hi!!
      My name is afeef and i have had tinnitus from a long time. I am 22 this time and i probably had it when i was 14 because a person suddenly shouted into my ear but it was very low but from past week or so it got higher a bit. The supplement i am taking is WHEY PROTEIN gold standard BY OPTIMUM NUTRITION as i am a soccer player i need it. I also go to gym some times.
      I wanted to know can whey protein have bad affect on my tinnitus ??????
      Please help!!:(

30. Rube
      Fine

Rube Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud shit
      I just ordered Biochem whey protein but have not tried it yet. Does anyone have any evidence that whey protein can cause a spike?