Diet's Effect on Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Treatments' started by Shay O'Connor, Aug 29, 2012.

1. Codaz

Codaz Member

Is that Sonosan really working? Why is it only available in Austria?

2. Matias

Matias Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      Great argument, but celiac is also sometimes asymptomatic. You should get a grip. I just argue what I know, the problem is that some people get kinda angry on that. Never mind, I wish you the best. Cheers.

3. Christian78
      Alone

Christian78 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      (Sep 2013)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      progressive tinnitus, time of expiring in next 3-6 months
      Well it helps me, I dont know why it is awailable only in Austri, 102€ for 3 months dosage...

when i started using retigabine antiepileptic i got 4 month with less than 5% of tinnitus, i went out of depression i lost 24kg... but i became imune....

Sonosan is some vitamin enzimes mix i dont know, it helps me, i stoped it i felt bed, started was better so it is not just placebo

4. Emmi
      Not amused

Emmi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure
      @Christian78

does Sonosan lower your T? Or is it just easier for you to sleep with it?

5. Quiet please
      Balanced

Quiet please Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      May 2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Only a guess, but probably hearing loss.
      Personally, diet makes the world of difference to me. High salicylate containing food, drink, caffeine, medicines or skin products make the T spike in varying degrees. Mostly high sodium, msg (natural occuring or as an additive) sugar, aspirin or aspirin containg produts. If I reconinize it quickly and drink plenty of water to flush it out, the spiking goes back down to its "normal everyday" annoying spounds. Of course, not everyone has this sensitivity, I'm just speaking for myself and my journey.

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. Path Maker

Path Maker Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic
      Tell ya what - I have to agree on the diet thing. Before tinnitus, I could eat anything - allergic to nothing, strong constitution (and grateful for that). I ate good healthy food, no real junk, and am meat-free, but I could eat anything at all.

I'm STILL not "allergic" to anything, BUT, since I now experience this tinnitus, well, by definition, some areas of my brain are in a hyperexcited state. Soooo ... yes, diet DOES affect the excitability of neurons.

So I modified (and keep testing) my diet to see what the effects can be.

This week, I had four days that were pretty damned excellent (still heard it, but quite low - so relaxing!). So two nights ago, after the fourth great day, I decided to do a little test. I'd read that almonds were very high in salicylates, so despite having a gorgeous jar of very expensive, organic almond butter in the 'fridge, I'd avoided dipping into it (of course I spent all that money on the almond butter BEFORE I began to research the salicylate thing).

Soooo ... at 11 p.m., I scooped out two huge tablespoons of the almond butter and downed it!

Ugh. Woke up to loud ringing a few hours later, and the entire next two days had amped up ringing AND a huge headache (I don't get those much).

It's all just beginning to taper away now.

So, the rest of my body feels fine, and I don't believe I am allergic to almonds. But since acquiring tinnitus, my brain now has these party animal neurons who like to go all disco-dance crazy whenever they quaff some almond booze, and so.

Yes. For me, diet has a connection toward amping up the symptoms. I'm on a mission to really learn the triggers and reduce them.

• Like Like x 2
    7. Richard zurowski

Richard zurowski Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      27/12/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection.
      @volsung37 . actually alcohol makes my tinnitus drop in volume a glass or two of wine and it's hardly noticeable. Having this before bedtime helps me to get to sleep.

• Like Like x 2
      • Genius Genius x 1
    8. undecided
      Breezy

undecided Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown.
      @Path Maker you should try to replicate the almond butter experiment. It's part of the scientific method.
      If it happens multiple times, then you'll have a verified trigger. If it has happened only once, it's coincidence.
      T is unpredictable, if anything.

Also, getting huge headaches along with louder tinnitus is something to consider.

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. Path Maker

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic
      @undecided Thanks for your thoughts! I agree - I will definitely replicate the almond butter thing (though I'm going to wait for a few weeks, because I like the days of lowered tinnitus :) ). I will watch the headache thing, too. It's not a regular occurrence - I'll check to see if it goes along with the almond reaction.

Thanks. :)

10. Quiet please
      Balanced

Quiet please Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      May 2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Only a guess, but probably hearing loss.
      I used to enjoy almonds, almond butter & almond milk before T. Now they spike the T, so bye bye. Have experimented many times; always the same.

• Agree Agree x 1
    11. MikeP505
      Curious

MikeP505 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Punishment for being so darn good looking!
      I never cared for almonds. However if you have any Cashews laying around, feel free to share...........

• Like Like x 2
    12. gitupagin
      Approved

gitupagin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      infection/airplane flight
      I think its time for some cashews!!

• Like Like x 3
    13. Path Maker

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic

Yes, almonds! :( A FORMER favorite of mine, too.

But there are lots of good things still to eat! :)

Here's a chart describing salicylate content of various nuts. Almonds are in the highest category.

http://salicylatesensitivity.com/about/food-guide/nuts-seeds/

• Like Like x 3
    14. Path Maker

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic
      As per the chart above, cashews are relatively low in salicylates. I'll pass 'em to ya if you promise to pass 'em back!

• Like Like x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
      • Creative Creative x 1
    15. MikeP505
      Curious

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loooooooooooove Cashews!!

16. MikeP505
      Curious

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Pistachio's too!! If these nuts make my t worse, then so be it. Not going to give up everything I love!

17. Path Maker

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic
      Nor should you!! But ... this creates a new expression: instead of "eat and run" it might now be "eat and ring." Yikes!

• Funny Funny x 1
    18. MikeP505
      Curious

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Everything I do now is "________ and ring"

19. MikeP505
      Curious

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I think if they ever find a cure for tinnitus, I will need benzo's to help get accustomed to a new life, yet again!! So used to this noise now it might be hard to concentrate without it??? lol

20. MikeP505
      Curious

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Alright, I'm still waiting for my Cashews!!! Hello???

21. Path Maker

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic
      Unknown-8.jpeg

22. MikeP505
      Curious

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      • Like Like x 1
    23. Path Maker

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic
      I had to. It's a support forum. And you were in need of support. And I am a little nuts. And woefully punny. :)

24. click
      Blah

click Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/04/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      Almonds have the same effect for me. The thing I miss most though is fruit. Raspberries are probably my favourite food and they're high in sals and make my t shriek. I have very few now, not very often.

I try to not lower the sals completely because, apart from leeks and swede being so boring, they say that you can have toxic shock if you get them really low and then eat something high sal.

@Path Maker - same here... The spike can last for 3 full days - it's amazing how strong the effect can be, even from a small amount. Mustard is really bad for me - had some salad cream, which contains it, the other week - not much! - and it just went on and on and on screeching.

25. Path Maker

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic
      @click I wonder if there are foods that can bring down or neutralize high salicylate levels in our bodies? When I get some time in a few days, I'm going to look into that. Google, here I come :)

26. click
      Blah

click Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/04/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      @Path Maker

I know that eating a little sal high food with a lot of non sal food lessens the effect (ie. same amount of sal food would have greater effect on its own).

Also - some people have an Epsom salts bath to negate sal effects.

To reduce sals they say we should eat foods that are very ripe but... stored foods are higher in sals - which makes life difficult because some supermarkets store fruit and veg for years (cold storage) and then chemically ripen.

Also to reduce... they say to thickly peel fruit and veg.

Sensitivity varies from person to person and from area to area. All the studies are pretty old and I haven't found any that were carried out on UK soil. This matters too because fruit and veg grown on different soils need varying amount of sals to defend themselves.

It's a complex issue with very little solid information.

When I first started thinking that sals were having an effect it drove me crazy. I upped dairy in my diet because milk etc. is so low and the dairy affected the eustachian tubes so much that I couldn't hear out of one ear. That ear still isn't back to normal even now. I think my e tubes have lost the ability to 'clear' properly so dairy has a profound effect.

I'm now wondering if I should up my sals before my impending op where they're going to shove high sal drugs into my system... If I do this then I'll probably avoid toxic shock from high sals going into a body not used to them... but - the T will start to scream. Silence is so enjoyable that I really don't want to!

God it's a nightmare isn't it

• Like Like x 1
    27. Path Maker

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic
      @click That's a real predicament with the salicylate drugs and the surgery. Yes, it is pretty nightmarish! Sigh. But maybe, just maybe, you won't have a problem? Not trying to give you baseless hopeful thinking, but sometimes, stuff that "should" cause trouble, doesn't! I find this with certain foods, etc. The inconsistencies can drive you mad, but if in this case, you wind up having no troubles, that would be so good for you!!

I like lots of your posts and have learned a lot from reading your dietary approaches. Still refining and discovering here. Will research more when I have a little free time from work, and maybe even get really scientific and do that thing where you test via elimination and re-introduction.

Anyway, I wish you the BEST possible outcome for your procedure!! Sending support!

• Like Like x 1
    28. volsung37

volsung37 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Almonds defo spike my tinnitus as do almond biscotti.
      Its a fine line between taking everything enjoyable out of your life food and drinkwise and trying to calm ones T. Middle way probably the best - everything in moderation.

29. gotyoubynuts

gotyoubynuts Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/1990
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
      I believe keto diet is the only diet that can improve tinnitus.

Why don't more people try keto??

30. Nonna
      Moonlighting

Nonna Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/17/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      guess
      Try a liver pate`recipe for crackers.
      Bake livers. sometimes w cayenne. They turn out just the right amount of chewy with crispy edges. It's much less nauseating than frying them in flour.