Diet's Effect on Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Treatments' started by Shay O'Connor, Aug 29, 2012.

1. volsung37

volsung37 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Onions and oranges seem to spike T

• Agree Agree x 2
    2. RaZaH
      Cheeky

RaZaH Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2012/04
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo + loud noise
      I was not aware of this almond thing, I eat them all the time, in fact my main snack, I spice and roast them.
      Can't say I have noticed any difference in the sea of randomness that is tinnitus?

3. william adams
      Wishful

william adams Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      one week after leg surgery plus hearing loss in higher freq.
      Everyone is different so what works for you may not make a difference to someone else. Personally I am a gym rat and eat a pretty clean diet. When I do a piece of cheesecake, have a couple alcoholic beverages,or over due the salt or sugar it doesnt seem to make much difference. I try to live my life the same as befor the onset of T but due where ear protection as much as possible in noisy environments.....

• Agree Agree x 3
    4. Luca
      Amused

Luca Member

I rarely find something that seems to have an effect on T. But Nescafe Frappe (some ice coffee) does seem to spike it for some hours.

5. Riderz43

Riderz43 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Gabapentin?
      I wasn't aware of the almond thing either. I don't know how I stumbled on this almond thread, but it explains a lot (potentially).

My tinnitus started a few weeks after I was bingeing on almonds and beef jerky in an attempt to lose weight. Worked great. I lost 20 pounds in six weeks, although it did involve giving up alcohol. Then I got tinnitus. At a minimum I'm throwing out the last of the almonds and going for some cashews. Coming up on a year with tinnitus.

Also could have been caused by a dental procedure, gabapentin or hearing loss (barely into the moderate range on the one ear that has tinnitus).

I guess it's really irrelevant at this point what the cause was, but if it was or wasn't almonds it probably wouldn't hurt to cut them out.

6. Fungus
      Dreaming

Fungus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus?
      Rapid weight loss can cause the Eustachian tube opening in the throat to become loose and floppy. This can, in turn, cause tinnitus.....just a thought.

Fungus

7. Halsy

Halsy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Sept. 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Abscess tooth
      I would look to knowing your own body and genetics to understand what works best for you rather than what other people are saying. They only 2 things that are universal to all people as it applies to diet is to eat less sugar and salt. Going from there you can just break it down to 'try and stay away from processed/fast/junk food'. But that's just common sense whether you have T or not. The better a shape you're in - diet and exercise - the better off everything is anyway. Michael Pollard said it really well, 'Don't eat anything your grandparents wouldn't recognize as food. Eat real food. Not too much. Mostly vegetables.' My personal take is try to make most of your diet veg and fruit. I could care less about "diets". Extreme diets are garbage - unless there's a genetic reason for it - IMO. We spent 2 million years evolving as omnivores for good reason, and most of that time was spent eating veg and fruit, grains, then meat, in that order.

8. Single

Single Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      many causes
      Hi Markku, I do not know why my tinnitus gets louder when I eat a lot of red meat and vegetables. Could you help me to find out why? Thank you.

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. TheDanishGirl
      Sad

TheDanishGirl Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017 (H since 06/2017)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      long term noise exposure (headphones), maybe some stress.
      I have not noticed anything that spikes my T, other then coffee that is, but that is because I am quite intolerant to caffeine....Just a very small amount of caffeine and I get the shakes, raised heartbeat and my anxiety raises considerately and because of that naturally my T is effected negatively.

Luckily I don't like the taste of coffee.

• Agree Agree x 1
    10. Gl0w0ut
      Inactive

Gl0w0ut Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      The hypothalmus is located in the forebrain, not near the brainstem (the hindbrain).

11. Gl0w0ut
      Inactive

Gl0w0ut Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      MSG is not poison and is, from my understanding, often used to substitute adding salt. Would you prefer higher sodium levels? Unlike MSG that has been shown to be harmful. God these anti-science people.

12. Mr Worried
      Dreaming

Mr Worried Member

Tinnitus Since:
      august 2017-july 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ripped the tag off a mattress
      WOW.

This thread has been absolutely amazing. I was completely unaware of Salicylate before, and I had to lookup what kinds of foods contained lots of it. Surely enough my diet is OVERLOADED with foods that are extremely high in salicylates (many I only stared eating this year which explains the recent arrival of T).

I stopped eating those foods 2 days ago and my tinnitus has gone down by about 60% in severity. My eustachian tubes have also stopped blocking really badly as well.

I may actually be able to escape this nightmare after all

• Like Like x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1
    13. Codaz

Codaz Member

Can you give us a very short list of food to avoid please? It's just to try.

14. Mr Worried
      Dreaming

Mr Worried Member

Tinnitus Since:
      august 2017-july 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      • Informative Informative x 1
    15. Codaz

Codaz Member

16. Mr Worried
      Dreaming

Mr Worried Member

Tinnitus Since:
      august 2017-july 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Salicylate was definitely the culprit all along. My tinnitus was about 90% gone this morning, and after I ate about 3/4 cup almonds to test it out, my tinnitus started roaring again like it had for the past few months.

I'm definitely going to miss a lot of these foods, but it's certainly not worth the price of living with tinnitus.

:beeranimation:

• Like Like x 1
    17. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Fresh tomatoes are on the "low" list.

18. Mathew Gould

Mathew Gould Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck/Jaw misalignment
      Anyone think that a lot of water lowers T???

19. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      In my experience, certain foods make T louder. I could never find anything that made it quieter/lower.

• Agree Agree x 1
    20. threefirefour
      Rebellious

threefirefour Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      I know general diet has an effect. Eat foods heavy in Zinc, and cut out all sodium for a while.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    21. hans01
      Artistic

hans01 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress, hearing loss, sinus infections, ... ?
      I almost give up here ... I just found a good new food balance with high magnesium intake each day, then found out about this salicylate issue here ... I drink almond milk since a few days and it doesn't seem to worsen my T, but almonds do, but that is because almonds are high in Vit B6 which I have been recently tested (and have toxicity), so I always thought it was the B6, and still do ... Now I ALWAYS use olive oil, but I avoid tomatoes, what's the real things behind this salicylate in food and the relation to Tinnitus ? For example, Bananas which are not too high in Salicylates do give me more issues (allergie, spikes) then almond milk, but everyone reacts in a different way ... At the end, I have the impression best is NOT to eat at all, that way we'll not get too much toxins :)

• Like Like x 1
    22. hans01
      Artistic

hans01 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Does there exist a salicylate antagonist (natural if possible) or enzyme to digest salicylates better ? I read something about Vitamine K but not sure.

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    23. Codaz

Codaz Member

I tend to believe you for salicylates but I don't know if it has spikes if you brush your teeth or something.

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    24. Quiet please
      Balanced

Quiet please Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      May 2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Only a guess, but probably hearing loss.
      I personally don't think we have to totally avoid salicylates FOREVER. From what I read, for some of us, our liver goes into an overload situation when we eat too many and has to naturally detox. Give salicyclates foods and drinks a 4 week rest and then can slowly reintroduce back into diet. I can feel when I've had too much & I just lay off them for a bit. Also, before I knew about any of this, I was using a body scrub for a while and my T went insane! Now I know it was the salicylate acid in it, so please read those labels!

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    25. hans01
      Artistic

hans01 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I'm testing a meat only diet for a few days to see, it seems to help on my eczema in the ears but I hope it will also improve my T, I know I'm allergic to a lot of plants, so just want to know what activates all these allergic reactions in the hope my T's are related to these as well as my overal well being.

26. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Interesting. My diet is the opposite. In any case, if you notice that this diet works, please let us all know.

• Like Like x 1
    27. hans01
      Artistic

hans01 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      So far, it did wonders on sleep apnea, but for some reason I felt quite tense, and high pitch T increased, this may be because I don't eliminate B6 very well and there's a lot of it in meat. I may try the opposite again, but had quite bad results with a vegan only diet on my overal well being, but that was a while ago ...

28. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I supplement a vegan diet with fish and egg whites.

29. hans01
      Artistic

hans01 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I've been tested allergic to a lot of food, including egg whites, so hard to know what to do, anyway, and fish is often high in B6, which I don't eliminate very well, I'm trying to find a solution, seems the meat only diet is the best so far, I just need to find how to reduce B6 while doing so. I'm also going to stop taking the magnesium bisglycinate from Solgar to see, there's some magnesium oxide in it and that's maybe not the best solution, will try magnesium spray again to see.

For sure, after all the tests these things influence my T and overal well being :

- high salicylates in plants is just plain wrong for me)
      - sugar
      - stress/anxiety
      - high B6 food
      - vitamine D3 makes everything worse
      - dairy products
      - gluten & grains

My doctor said the other day that stress and anxiety often give you health issues there where you are most fragile, and I think she's right, as I'm otherwise very healthy, sad enough it seems that T may be the result of years and years of stress and that I'll urgently need to find a way to reduce that, and it's not an easy thing for me especially with the T always present ...

• Hug Hug x 2