Disappeared for Two Days

Discussion in 'Support' started by click, Sep 1, 2012.

1. click
      Blah

click Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/04/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      Thursday and Friday - for all but 10 minutes of really light noise (I had to listen for it) first thing in the morning - my T was gone. It was wonderful. It's back buzzing today and even though it's not loud it feels worse than ever because 'it wasn't there' and now it is.

• Like Like x 2
    2. Fish
      Balanced

Fish Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2012
      I would say it is great for you :)

At least you know it CAN go away, even if temporarily. You have something to look forward to. Perhaps there is something that triggers your T?

• Like Like x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      click
      Blah

click Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/04/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      I really don't know Fish. I'm so utterly confused. It's screaming right now and I can't even think straight. Yet I've had two wonderful days. When it wasn't there I was convinced that eventually it will disappear... now it's back it seems as though it will never go. Have you had any more periods without it? I remember you saying ages ago that you thought it may be going away for you?

I've just ordered some B vitamins because the only thing I did differently on Wednesday (before it went away) was eat quite a lot of peanut butter. Can't do that every day because I'll be sick :eek:) So I thought I'd get some B vits and see whether it helps.

Saw this tonight as well - http://www.mdjunction.com/forums/ti...862938-is-this-my-tinnitus-treatment-solution - someone had it for three years and then it went after taking NEUROBEX (think that's B vits), Trimetazidine (sounds pretty lethal - for angina?) & Betaserc (betahistine). Apparently in France they give people with tinnitus Trimetazidine.

I've now sold my house and am moving on Friday so that I can get to London clinics. I know they say don't let T control your life but I am SO sick of it.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      click
      Blah

click Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/04/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      It's gone again. It screamed all day today and at 10 to midnight it went. It's now an hour later and it hasn't come back. I walked out into the street (you can hear a pin drop out there it's so quiet) and listened hard for it and it's really GONE again. I can't hear it at all. I've done nothing constructive all day because of the da**ed noise in my head and now I want to stay up all night and enjoy the silence.

5. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      awesome. but weird. if it truly is gone, then there is absolutely a great chance it will permanently go away at some point.

maybe that now happened.

i read some of your past posts and looks like you first noticed the t in your head, which i think is rarer than first noticing it in the ear(s).

I wonder what could have caused it. Could an MRI show something wrong? Or could it be just plain old stress and/or psychologically originating?

Enjoy the silence, I know I would.

• Like Like x 1
    6. Fish
      Balanced

Fish Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2012
      Well there are both good things and bad things about fluctuating T. Just like Markku told me before - on one hand, we get some relief. On the other, it's definitely more difficult to habituate. I had short moments of silence twice but now it's whistling 24/7. It still changes it's intensity from time to time. There's got to be something that triggers it.

In my case I had a theory but it was VERY far-fetched:

- two months ago I started taking a PPI medicine, a drug that lowers the amount of stomach acid.
      - after I stopped taking it, I suffered from rebound (more stomach acid than before) and tinnitus started shortly after.
      - T caused great stress and anxiety; I stopped eating almost completely, after a week tinnitus was gone.
      - No more anxiety, I was back to normal eating again, tinnitus re-appeared.

There is a condition known as laryngopharyngeal reflux that gives symptoms such as cough, hoarseness of voice, sinus and even ear problems (tinnitus?).

But this was just a theory. I still have no idea what caused or what triggers it.

7. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      Fish, I don't think it is far fetched, there are many causes that contribute to T other than hearing loss. On the other hand the question is will the T go away when you get those other causes in check and corrected whether it is reflux, TMJ or cervical damage etc?

• Like Like x 1
    8. gary
      Transparent

gary Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Who Knows
      Click, I am so happy for you that you had a break from T. I woke up this morning with T at a 10, when I wake up with it at a 10, it's a 10 the whole day, well I did nothing different today, for the first time as the day wore on, it got lower and lower. It is at about a 3 now, that I can handle, it's those 9-10 day that are rough. At least now we know/think something has to be triggering it.

I have been taking LIPO-FLAVONOID for about three weeks, I am not saying this has helped. Ikeep a log of my T levels to see if there is any correlation between the T levels and what I am doing/taking. Time will tell.....

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      click
      Blah

click Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/04/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      I don't think it's far fetched either Fish. As we don't know what causes it... it could be anything. How long were your 'short moments of silence'? Do you mean minutes/days or hours?

Thursday and Friday were amazing. I really did try hard to 'find' the T and it had gone. Saturday it was back.. I call it 'screaming' but in actual fact it's usually a 'buzzing'. The sound varies all the time. Then on Saturday night it went again - completely - just before midnight. It was still gone when I fell asleep at 2am (was exhausted - T exhausts me!) and today (Sunday) it's back again and far more annoying because I had time without it.

Markku - it's alway been in my head. It's like listening to my brain. Sometimes the noise emanates from behind my ears or down the back of my neck instead but mostly it's from the head way above the ears. I don't listen to loud music, go to concerts or use headphones - have never been exposed to loud noises so am just hoping I haven't damaged anything and that these episodes of it disappearing mean that it will eventually go away.

When I say it's gone - I mean it's gone. I know that some people 'habituate' and some have trouble hearing it at times. I do too - sometimes it's just a tiny tinkle instead of really loud. I recognise when it's there but hardly there. But during the episodes I've mentioned it just wasn't there - in the quietest environment possible I listened really hard.. for ages... and it had gone.

Maybe it gives us all hope - if it can go temporarily then surely it can go permanently.

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      click
      Blah

click Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/04/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      Ok - this is probably getting boring but I can't help but post it. It's gone again. It went down in volume at about 8pm and then disappeared completely at 5 to 9pm (i'm in the UK). I've been outside - I've walked down the road - I've sat in my car. I've listened and listened and it's not there. For anyone who hasn't read my earliest posts this thing drove me insane at the beginning. From April 6th this year I have been a complete wreck. I spent 2 months in France (which I hate) just so that I could be with my best mate who calmed me down. The stress levels were immense and they were solely caused by the tinnitus - not anything else. When it screams I'm stressed - when it's quieter and just 'tinkles' I'm fine. It's now 9.35 pm. Perhaps I've got a few hours without it now like last night. The trouble is that I'm completely confused by it - how can something so loud and so absolutely horrid go away completely and then come back? Is anyone else experiencing the same thing? Does it go away completely for any of you?

11. Karl

Karl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2011
      click -
      There seem to be a few people on this site who have had this experience. I'm not one of them.

...But on Friday, I was moving my daughter into her college dorm. I was lifting a bunk bed over my head, and, "eeeeeee" - that's when my left ear raised to it's new record volume. Later that night it went away. Whew!

12. erik
      Cool

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      It goes away completely for me if I don't pay attention to it. There are times when I realize I haven't been paying attention to it and haven't heard it at all and then I start to listen for it... and it magically appears. If I could figure out how to make my brain switch it off "on command", I wouldn't care if it went away or not because I wouldn't hear it any longer.

13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      click
      Blah

click Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/04/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      Thanks for replying Karl and Erik. Karl.. if your T does that it sounds as though it could be blood pressure related?

Erik... I wish I could do the same - have times when I don't pay attention to it. When mine softens I listen to see if it's still there (& when it's loud I don't need to listen hard!).

Now that I have had pretty long periods without it I'm just waiting all the time - waiting for it to go away again. The fact that mine went completely has given me hope that it will go permanently or that I can discover what causes it to go. I found it really hard to believe that it had gone but it had and after I've moved house (complete change in air pressure and climate) I'm going to eliminate methodically everything I eat and then reintroduce it all slowly. Something has to be causing it or causing it to go. Habituation is also pretty hard when it goes away and then comes back.

I read this forum and there's obviously tons of information but has it been collated anywhere? For example - does anyone know how many people have joined and then their T has gone completely... how many find anti depressants help and how many don't.? There's certainly enough information to gather together some kind of statistics here but I just jump from topic to topic and don't really learn anything.

Having said that I really am so grateful that the forum exists - it's been a real help!

14. erik
      Cool

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      Hey Click

That is a good question. Success stories seem far and few in between, yet people come and go on this and other forums every day. I was looking through the forum member list and never seem 95% post in my time here.

I think many probably fall into 2 categories--those who have short term or temporary T which goes away so they never come back to the forum and those who have it long term, have habituated to it and got on with their lives so they don't come back to the forum either.

There are good people here. This is the best T forum around. Positive and helpful.

15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      click
      Blah

click Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/04/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      Fish - your posting about the PPI drug... I wondered if you'd seen erik's post? see below.​
      erik

some drugs are ototoxic, permanently destroying hearing cells...an others like aspirin irritate the outer hair cells, but when one stops taking aspirin the tinnitus decreases

i used to take a very common "proton pump inhibitor" for acid reflux..something easy to buy at the corner store...it caused hearing damage and is reported to do so in 2% of the population..very small percent but unfortunately im part of that small small group

so i dont encourage you or anyone to take clonazepam, cause, who knows for sure??....i sure dont

best wishes
      mock turtle​

16. Fish
      Balanced

Fish Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2012
      mock turtle? Are you click or mock turtle? :eek:

I know that PPI drugs can be ototoxic, but could it be possible to develop tinnitus so fast? I know one person got T after few years of taking PPIs, I used them for a little over a month... Who knows, who knows.

17. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      click
      Blah

click Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/04/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      sorry fish - i meant 'mock turtle's post' - i'm click

18. erik
      Cool

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      I believe the damage from ototoxicity is cumulative so it can happen months or years later. You may have taken PPI's for a while and seem fine but the damage is still occurring slowing. It is then possible that some other drug you took may just have been the final trigger that puts it over the top and causes the T to appear. The problem with T is that origins are many and even harder to determine. There are so many factors, it is near impossible to know with any certainty unless you can eliminate all other factors. Unfortunately, 84 of the top 100 prescribed drugs in the USA are ototoxic so caution needs to be taken.