Disney on Ice Show (Sound) Feedback

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by GregCA, Feb 25, 2018.

1. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      I went to Disney On Ice yesterday. I was amazed at the sound levels, especially because half the arena was full of kids.

I was in the middle of the seating area, about halfway between the lowest row and the highest row. It's hard to tell where the speakers were located but it seemed like the speakers were hanging over the ice rink. At any rate, the sound level would oscillate between 90 dB and 95 dB throughout the 1.5 hour show (measured on my iPhone w/ Decibel X), with peaks close to 100 dB. I'm not sure why they set it that high, but people seemed happy and cheerful.

2. Tinker Bell

Tinker Bell Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      It’s interesting that you posted this! I spend quite a bit of time at an ice rink each week. I always wonder if the cold environment of a rink impacts how the sound travels. There are probably a lot of factors at play such as the ceiling height, open walls between multiple rinks, seating and speaker placement, etc.

I have also noticed that music will seem very loud in the seating area, but a more comfortable level on the ice. From visiting different rinks, I have noticed that speakers are not always located above the ice. It must need to be fairly loud then for performers to be able to hear it. You mentioned that the speakers were above the ice, maybe they thought it needed to be louder for the audience to hear it. Does the venue frequently host ice skating shows?

Do you like Decibel X? I have an iPhone too, and Decibel X consistently gives readings higher than other apps. Ironically, I first realized this at an ice skating show last year. Just checked again in my very quiet house and it’s still 8dB higher.

If it really was 90dB that seems so strange for a Disney event geared towards children. Maybe it was the facility’s decision. Disney actually varies sound volumes in their parks, making music quieter in areas geared towards small children. I mean, it’s an ice show not a monster truck rally. Kids should not need to wear earmuffs to see Elsa skate across the ice.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      GregCA
      Jaded

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      I think part of it is the orientation of the speakers towards the seating area indeed.

I'm a bit indifferent with it. It nags me constantly to upgrade to the "Pro" version, but I don't really need the pro features so I just live with the nag. I don't really use it that often to be honest: I trust my gut more than a reading. I just pulled it out yesterday because my gut told me that the environment seemed quite loud.

Yes that's what surprised me. It was really loud - and I know it's not just me (I understand I may have a biased judgement due to my hearing issues): my wife looked at me when it started with her "big eyes" (which meant "holy cow the sound") and my father in law told me after the show "man that was loud!".

Agreed. It's probably not a big deal to be exposed like that sporadically, but maybe it conditions the kids to think that "loud is OK" or "loud is cool", and that may have consequences in the way they perceive fun as they grow older. Oh well, maybe I'm overreacting and should simply... let it go.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    4. Tinker Bell

Tinker Bell Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      Agree with you and now that stupid song is stuck in my head. Let it go, let it gooooooo! :ROFL:

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      GregCA
      Jaded

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Well, clearly, you can't hold it back anymooooore!
      (and you're welcome for me putting that in your head - let me know if I can be of assistance for anything else :D)

• Funny Funny x 1