Distorted Sound with Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by Geoff Scotton, Jan 16, 2016.

1. Geoff Scotton
      Depressed

Geoff Scotton Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1997
      I'm a long-term sufferer of left ear tinnitus which doesn't bother me particularly, but in recent years I've also suffered from distorted hearing in the same ear which is apparent when listening to music with a strong treble content - particularly piano. As a keen music lover I find this very annoying. I suspect there's nothing I can do to improve this problem, but would obviously be very interested to hear from any fellow sufferer who's had any joy with a similar problem. Thanks in anticipation.

2. I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      I've got that in my left ear. Half the time when I sing, it happens. High notes on a harmonica and 2 high notes together on a fiddle will trigger it too. I try not to let it happen for too long. A few years ago I had a very bad spike and EVERYTHING was distorted. It was awful.

3. PaulBe

PaulBe Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably sound, though never proven
      Me too. On piano once I hit certain high notes. The sound seems to rush harshly and directly into my left ear.

4. Reinier
      Not amused

Reinier Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Explosion starting engine
      Same experience. I do notice that level is important. At low sound levels little or no distortion. On average sound levels distortion can start. Sound level where it starts varies from day to day. I did not find anything to alleviate effect. Except lowering sound level. "Tired" ears also seem to aggravate effect. In the morning it is usually better.

5. IreneO
      Procrastinating

IreneO Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014 (mild), 03/15 (severe)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Head trauma, then acoustic trauma, then more acoustic trauma
      I started getting this for the first time two weeks ago while singing in my choir. I think it's other people's voices rather than my own that causes it, but I'm not 100% sure. I hope it goes away - singing is very important to me. :(

6. PaulBe

PaulBe Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Do you notice it more at certain pitches?

7. IreneO
      Procrastinating

IreneO Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014 (mild), 03/15 (severe)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Head trauma, then acoustic trauma, then more acoustic trauma
      @PaulBe Not sure if it's pitch or loudness ... Actually it might be pitch as I was singing on Saturday with a smaller group where volume was lower but I still got the distortion thing (although it seemed a bit less full-on, maybe I was just less scared by it). Hmm.

8. PaulBe

PaulBe Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I am not a believer in the psychological theories of tinnitus/hyperacusis. I am certain of a physiological event as the cause(s) of both, and I think each originates from differing sources within similar pathways.