Disulfiram (Antabuse) — Anyone Experienced a Reduction of Their Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Engineer, Sep 16, 2017.

1. Engineer
      Creative

Engineer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/20/15
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely acoustic hearing loss
      Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone has experienced reduction of their Tinnitus (perceived volume or awareness) while taking Disulfiram (Antabuse). Anecdotally, it seems to reduce my perceived Tinnitus volume/awareness. Reduction of alcohol consumption could be the driver here as well, I'd like to hear what others have experienced.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disulfiram

Please only respond if you have chronic tinnitus (1 to 2 years or more) and have taken Disulfiram while suffering from Tinnitus, or if you have significant technical experience with this drug and its effects.

Thank you,

Trebor Naganalf

2. dfl

dfl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      exposure to explosions/stress/who knows?
      I don't mean to break the rules (i.e. I've never tried the drug), but a friend of mine told me she had friends on Antabuse for Lyme's disease and it helped their tinnitus symptoms.

3. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      The drug has potent anti Lyme activity and is being used increasingly for that purpose. This is relatively new but there should be increasing results on whether this helps tinnitus or not in that patient population at least.

4. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      I am connected to the Lyme community through my own experience with this illness.

I will ask around and see what they say about Antabuse.