DIY Brain Hacking & Tinnitus (tDCS)

Discussion in 'Alternative Treatments and Research' started by Sound Wave, Mar 18, 2014.

1. Sound Wave
      Curious

Sound Wave Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably headphones
    2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sound Wave
      Curious

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably headphones
      • Like Like x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sound Wave
      Curious

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably headphones
      • Like Like x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sound Wave
      Curious

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably headphones
      "Neil Harbisson was born with achromatopsia, a rare condition that causes complete color blindness. He’s also the first person in the world to have a cyborg antenna implanted in his skull, which allows him to translate colors into sounds. Then, one day, he started to dream in colors…"

http://www.mobiledia.com/news/191246.html

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sound Wave
      Curious

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably headphones
      • Like Like x 1
    6. jazz
      No Mood

jazz Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      eardrum rupture from virus; barotrauma from ETD
      I like the idea of self hacking. But the equipment must be safe and the protocols established. For tinnitus, the best self treatment is neurofeedback. The technique is safe and more efficacious than tDCS. (But right now, there is no medical grade neurofeedback equipment available to the public.) Unfortunately, tDCS has not been successful for tinnitus. Few people benefit, and the relief is short term. In addition, I don't believe a do-it-yourself kit is safe. Or, if safe, then it's probably not strong enough to be therapeutic.

But if you do try it, please let us know everything.

And did you try to contact bluethundr from the reddit post?

Please read the following article. Below is an excerpt:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/29/science/jump-starter-kits-for-the-mind.html?_r=0

Dr. Kadosh also warned that electrically juicing one area of the brain might degrade function in another part. “What we’ve found is brain power is like a blanket,” he said. “You pull it over to one side and something else is not covered.”

Because studies have shown that tDCS may be useful in treating people debilitated bystroke, Parkinson’s disease, depression and obsessive-compulsive disorder, clinicians fear that in addition to competitive healthy people, severely compromised people may be tempted to experiment with brain stimulation at home.

“There’s a growing body of literature about tDCS, but there’s still so much to learn,” saidDr. Sarah Lisanby, a psychiatrist and director of the brain stimulation and neurophysiology division at Duke University School of Medicine in Durham, N.C.

“People should not be tempted by devices they can order online,” she said, nor buy do-it-yourself tDCS devices — no matter how often they’ve lost at Halo.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sound Wave
      Curious

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably headphones
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sound Wave
      Curious

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably headphones
      Muse - the brain sensing headband. This might very well be helpful for T sufferers who want to learn mindfulness and/or medidation to calm their mind and body.

http://www.choosemuse.com/

9. hfleming
      Amused

hfleming Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Hi all, just registered to tell my story and experience with tDCS.

I have recently been diagnosed with a tumor in my neck on my vagus nerve. The doctors think the risk is too great at the moment to operate, so I sit with a lot of symptoms, from my face being paralyzed on the left side, to my eyes just falling closed by themselves, and impossible to open them again, to severe tinnitus in my one ear.

Out of desperation, I started experimenting on myself. I first discovered if I pinched really hard on a couple of places on my face, I could open my eyes normal, but I had to keep the pressure up. So, I pinched a clothespin below my left eye, and as long as that pin was hanging there, I could use my eyes normally., but of course, it is quite painful, so I started thinking about stimulating the nerves electrically... I was desperate, anything to keep my eyes open I would have been happy with. First I started by hooking a signal generator up to 2 electrodes, stuck them above my eyes, and see if it has any effect. Signal was a 1Hz square wave with a 10% duty cycle, 3Vpp... great was my surprise when I immediately regained use of the left side of my face and my eyes.

Then I started thinking about the possibility of making a portable device, that I could wear permanently exciting those nerves. with further experimentation, I built a small, programmable system that worked. Then I discovered if I applied a very small DC current, after applying it for around 3 minutes, the effects would last longer. googled a bit, and then I discovered what I was doing, was tDCS.

I hook myself up for 1 hour in the morning, and for 10 hours I have almost full relief. After the second day, and a couple of burn marks later because I was still trying to come up with better electrodes, I discovered that my tinnitus also disappeared.

So, for me, tDCS is working. I cannot say it will/will not work for you, but for me it took me from being unable to open my eyes, paralysis on the left side of my face, severe tinnitus to a (almost) normal state.

P.S. I am an electronic engineer and have also studied human physiology, so I have a fair idea what I am doing, lol....

• Like Like x 4
      • Winner Winner x 2
      • Genius Genius x 1
    10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sound Wave
      Curious

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably headphones
      Brilliant stuff @hfleming!! How did your tinnitus start? I assume it was related to the tumor?

11. hfleming
      Amused

hfleming Member

Tinnitus Since:
      yes, all my symptoms are due to the tumor that compress not only the vagus nerve, but all other nerves in the area of the jugular foramen.

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sound Wave
      Curious

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably headphones
    13. hfleming
      Amused

hfleming Member

Tinnitus Since:
      found this abstract about tDCs and tinnitus , but I see I cannot post the link yet.

for me tinnitus was the least of my symptoms, bothersome yes, but not nearly as big a problem as me not being able to open my eyes, lol

• Funny Funny x 1
    14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sound Wave
      Curious

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably headphones
      ^ yeah, I can imagine that. :) Wow, what a story and personal effort you have showed!

15. hfleming
      Amused

hfleming Member

Tinnitus Since:
      early days yet, been using it now for exactly a week...

16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sound Wave
      Curious

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably headphones
      Reddit also has subredits on these topics. I assume you have found them already?

17. hfleming
      Amused

hfleming Member

Tinnitus Since:
      yes, I am still scouring the web, trying to find all I can about tDCs. I see many people are quite sceptical, but all I can say is that it improved my condition a lot..... from not being able to open my eyes to being able to use my eyes for 10 hours after an hour session, lol ..... and I did blind tests too, it is not a placebo effect or the effect from the headband holding the electrodes in place.

18. hfleming
      Amused

hfleming Member

Tinnitus Since:
      • Like Like x 2
    19. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sound Wave
      Curious

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably headphones
      • Like Like x 1
    20. RichL
      Inspired

RichL Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
    21. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sound Wave
      Curious

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably headphones
    22. sdtimpson

sdtimpson Member

Tinnitus Since:
      I have had tinnitus now for 3 years, I recently built a tDCS device that I pulled off of www.reddit.com/r/tDCS/

I have just started the experiment to relive my tinnitus so I will post results as they happen

• Like Like x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    23. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sound Wave
      Curious

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably headphones
    24. rtwombly
      Bookworm

rtwombly Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hmm. I have an opportunity to try tDCS with a Yale Associate Researcher who happens to live and work nearby part of the year. I'll have to discuss costs. He says he's never had a tinnitus patient but has discussed protocols with colleagues in Europe.

• Like Like x 1
    25. jazz
      No Mood

jazz Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      eardrum rupture from virus; barotrauma from ETD
      Some people do get relief with tDCS, but, so far, the effects are temporary. In addition, you must be very careful about electrode placement. You can damage yourself with this technology.

Besides carefully reading the literature, I'd probably find a doctor to help you with it. At least, they could help for a few sessions.

In the US, there is an anesthesiologist who dose this procedure:

Here is a more recent tDCS study for tinnitus and the abstract links to the full free text:

Neural Plast. 2014;2014:930860. doi: 10.1155/2014/930860. Epub 2014 Apr 10.

Polarity specific suppression effects of transcranial direct current stimulation for tinnitus

Joos K1, De Ridder D2, Van de Heyning P3, Vanneste S4.

Abstract
      Tinnitus is the perception of a sound in the absence of an external auditory stimulus and affects 10-15% of the Western population. Previous studies have demonstrated the therapeutic effect of anodal transcranial direct current stimulation (tDCS) over the left auditory cortex on tinnitus loudness, but the effect of this presumed excitatory stimulation contradicts with the underlying pathophysiological model of tinnitus. Therefore, we included 175 patients with chronic tinnitus to study polarity specific effects of a single tDCS session over the auditory cortex (39 anodal, 136 cathodal). To assess the effect of treatment, we used the numeric rating scale for tinnitus loudness and annoyance. Statistical analysis demonstrated a significant main effect for tinnitus loudness and annoyance, but for tinnitus annoyance anodal stimulation has a significantly more pronounced effect than cathodal stimulation. We hypothesize that the suppressive effect of tDCS on tinnitus loudness may be attributed to a disrupting effect of ongoing neural hyperactivity, independent of the inhibitory or excitatory effects and that the reduction of annoyance may be induced by influencing adjacent or functionally connected brain areas involved in the tinnitus related distress network. Further research is required to explain why only anodal stimulation has a suppressive effect on tinnitus annoyance.​

Reference:
      See also this article:

26. rtwombly
      Bookworm

rtwombly Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      It is a doctor I'd be going to. Thanks for the article. If I do go, I mean to walk in the room talking about neural plasticity and whether it's better to aim at inhibition or disruption of hyperactive processing - jump in an be part of the process.

27. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sound Wave
      Curious

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably headphones
      • Like Like x 1
    28. VaR
      Question it

VaR Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sinus Infection/ETD (don't know exact cause)
    29. xanaxvictim

xanaxvictim Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Xanax
      I am considering ascending to the top of a mountain during a fierce thunderstorm and getting my brain hacked by a lightning bolt to see whether it can help my T

• Funny Funny x 1
    30. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sound Wave
      Curious

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably headphones