DIY Brain Hacking & Tinnitus (tDCS)

Discussion in 'Alternative Treatments and Research' started by Sound Wave, Mar 18, 2014.

1. exodus
      Cold

exodus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2008
      hi guys

does any knows where to place the electrode for having effects on tinnitus?

i m having one built next week or by end of month and wanted to know if anyone knows about it?

• Like Like x 1
    2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sound Wave
      Curious

Sound Wave Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably headphones
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sound Wave
      Curious

Sound Wave Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably headphones
      • Like Like x 1
    4. jazz
      No Mood

jazz Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      eardrum rupture from virus; barotrauma from ETD
    5. MattS
      Balanced

MattS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Power Tools
      So... I happen to be an experimental psychologist/neuroscientist who uses tDCS in the lab. As such, I have a very high quality, research-grade tDCS system (up to 8 electrodes that can be used to triangulate current to deeper parts of the brain) and the knowledge to know how to use it.

For now I'm sitting on the sidelines. My tinnitus is too new to be fucking around with DYI hacks, even if I have the skillset to do it properly. For all I know my tinnitus will still dissipate on its own. And in the early stages it's so variable that I wouldn't even have confidence to know that any post-treatment changes were due to the treatment. Plus, there's always the chance that I make it worse.

But perhaps in the future I'll give it a try.

• Like Like x 2
    6. ChrisBoyMonkey

ChrisBoyMonkey Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Let us know if you do!

7. Mal58

Mal58 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise? Headphones?
      @MattS
      https://www.tinnitus.org.uk/tinnitus-and-transcranial-direct-current-stimulation-tdcs
      "The current literature shows moderate to significant therapeutic efficacy of tDCS on tinnitus symptoms. Further randomised placebo-controlled double-blind trials with large sample sizes are needed to reach a definitive conclusion on the efficacy of tDCS for tinnitus"

Could you not get involved with the research? Nothing like "personal interest" to get you through those boring lab sessions...

8. MattS
      Balanced

MattS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Power Tools
      Yeah, been thinking about it...

(It's not quite that easy - I would need to get funding, and with this not being my historical area of focus that could be challenging (ie. several years in the making). But the field remains in a really nascent stage at this point; so there's certainly room for me to conduct a well-designed study.)

• Like Like x 1
    9. MattS
      Balanced

MattS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Power Tools
      You may shortly (few months) see an announcement that I am indeed beginning a formal study. Probably won't be with tDCS right of the bat, for the reasons I noted above. But I may get into the game.

• Like Like x 2
    10. vttbx

vttbx Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2001
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      I've recently purchased the Halo Sport 2 realizing that it's not intended to help with tinnitus but I was intrigued by tDCS. I haven't used it enough to know if it's helping. Too bad it can't be modified to target tinnitus given that the design is legit.

https://www.haloneuro.com/

11. Daniel Lion
      Ape-like

Daniel Lion Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise trauma, hearing loss
      Have you found the device to be therapeutic in anyway?
      Have you noticed any changes? More alert, cognitive improvements, etc?
      I have never heard of this, makes some pretty big claims.

12. lcj

lcj Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      medication
      If you need any statistical support please don’t hesitate to reach out to me. I work as a biostatistician in the Clinical Trials space. Doctorate plus 4 years of industry experience. Would be happy to help pro bono in any way I could towards advancements for tinnitus.

• Like Like x 5
    13. Mal58

Mal58 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise? Headphones?
      @lcj What a great offer!

@MattS Can you not get free use of the lab and plug yourself in? Big chance here! Look at the famous doctors who experimented on themselves. For instance, the guys who discovered that raised uric acid levels lead to gout actually injected themselves with uric acid, and gave themselves really severe gout, to demonstrate this. Now they are famous, at least amongst gout sufferers. If you can find a way to zap tinnitis in yourself then that should lead to big money to extend the work to others (there must be some 1% billionaires suffering from his thing!)

14. Gabriel
      Depressed

Gabriel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I focused on verifying if I had tinnitus
      For me the answer for tinnitus will come from there.

Not from hair cell regeneration, not from Lenire or other devices, but from brain hacking.
      This is clearly a brain disorder, that can take his roots from hearing loss yes, but it's all in the brain anyway.

Mine didn't appear from noise trauma so it's obvious for me.

• Like Like x 1
    15. MattS
      Balanced

MattS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Power Tools
      It makes some pretty big, likely bogus, claims. But even if it works: it stimulates the motor cortex - so why would one expect it to work on tinnitus (??)

The brain is a pretty big, complex organ. You can't just stimulate somewhere and cross your fingers.

• Informative Informative x 1
    16. MattS
      Balanced

MattS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Power Tools
      Oh yeah, big chance: I could become the next Peter Parker. ;)

Also: as you said, what we need is large, well-designed, double-blinded clinical trials, not poorly-controlled, self-administered case studies. That is exceedingly unlikely to help anyone.

17. MattS
      Balanced

MattS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Power Tools
      Thanks @lcj! That is in fact a pretty great offer. I'm still not sure I'm quite ready to topsy-turvy my lab focus on a moment's notice... but I'll definitely keep this in mind. :)

18. Mentos

Mentos Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced, loud rock concert
      Hello @MattS, any advancements in your studies on tDCS for tinnitus? I am about to start this tDCS therapy in a couple of weeks in Poland (I found a clinic that can do that) based on recommendations from brai3n.com (Gent, Belgium) about which parts of my ringing brain to stimulate. It would be interesting if you had any findings about treatment protocol for tinnitus.