DMSO, Niacin and Turmeric Ear Drops

Discussion in 'Alternative Treatments and Research' started by Bndsmheowqhe, Apr 27, 2019.

1. Bndsmheowqhe

Bndsmheowqhe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise exposure
      I've been experimenting with a variety of different products and supplements recently. This seems to be having some effect but it's only been a few days.

This is a crude attempt to replicate this study:
      Dimethyl sulfoxide therapy in subjective tinnitus of unknown origin

The DMSO seems to be the important component with regard to absorption. I used the Turmeric for it's anti-inflammatory properties and the Niacin as a vasodilatory. I'm thinking of trying a DMSO + BPC 157 combination next.

2. G H
      Curious

G H Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      So have they helped? Which products are you using?

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Bndsmheowqhe

Bndsmheowqhe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise exposure
      • Like Like x 1
    4. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Single 25 mg dose of (anticholinergic) drug Promethazine
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Bndsmheowqhe

Bndsmheowqhe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise exposure
      It can be used as a spray but I've been experimenting with drops. I would try diluting the DMSO with water first. It still fluctuates but overall my tinnitus has dropped significantly over the past few days.

• Like Like x 2
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Bndsmheowqhe

Bndsmheowqhe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise exposure
      I should also mention that it seems to have reduced the severe reactivity of my tinnitus.

• Like Like x 2
      • Informative Informative x 1
    7. Chinmoku

Chinmoku Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Started with a cold, possibly worsened by medication/noise
      Interesting, how is it going? Anyone else tried this?

8. Ringeee

Ringeee Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not Sure
      Any updates on your DSMO usage?

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Bndsmheowqhe

Bndsmheowqhe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise exposure
      I have been using it mostly on my arms at this point. It's still quickly absorbed into my system though.

• Agree Agree x 1
    10. Ringeee

Ringeee Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not Sure
      Thanks. Did you say it helped with your tinnitus?

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Bndsmheowqhe

Bndsmheowqhe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise exposure
      It seems to be helpful.

• Like Like x 1
    12. GBB

GBB Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2016-2019 (Mild, Cured) 8/2020 (Severe)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus / Microsuction / Acoustic Trauma
    13. Lukee

Lukee Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Wim Hof Breathing Exercises
      So DMSO was recommended to me by a friend. @Lane has had some great results from what I’ve read. My friend actually told me to seek out IV DMSO and I have found that they use it in cancer therapies.

I saw the same study you posted and decided to put it on the backburner for the time being. There is one caveat with the study though; the cochleas were directly immersed in DMSO and the rats were deceased (this was my understanding anyway). I would think that in vivo and under different conditions, DMSO might not be cyto or ototoxic.

14. GBB

GBB Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2016-2019 (Mild, Cured) 8/2020 (Severe)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus / Microsuction / Acoustic Trauma
      Thanks. Did your friend have direct experience with it in relation to the ears though?

15. Lukee

Lukee Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Wim Hof Breathing Exercises
      No experience at all. He had heard about it for some other conditions he was researching and thought it might be a Hail Mary that could help for tinnitus. I was explaining a lot of the ear issue I have been having that feel like they are inflammation related and he said the IV DMSO could really knock down the inflammation.

16. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Single 25 mg dose of (anticholinergic) drug Promethazine
      @Lukee, @GBB -- I was putting a combination of DMSO and Magnesium Oil on my neck and ears for quite some time (2-3 years), and felt it relieved a lot of discomfort in my neck, and likely was helping marginally with my tinnitus. I also did a regular routine of stretching my ears by pulling them in different directions--on a daily basis. There are some YouTube videos on doing ear stretching exercises, and I feel that has also probably marginally helped my tinnitus. My philosophy is that whatever increases blood circulation, nerve energy circulation, and energetic circulation is likely to help keep the ears and auditory system calmed down. I feel DMSO has almost certainly helped in this regard.

I had a recent experience that reinforced that belief. Our house burned down (in Oregon) last fall, and I didn't apply DMSO and Magnesium on my neck and ears for several months until just recently. What I discovered is that even though I had been doing those ear stretching exercises regularly in the interim, I noticed quite a significant difference in how much more flexible my ears became after starting to apply the DMSO again. I've also had a run recently where my tinnitus seems to have softened. I can't say for sure whether it's causal, but I think it could very well be. -- BTW, I never put DMSO directly into my inner ear. I just put some on my hands, and get the inside of the outer ear moist. In other words, it never touches my hair cells, or cochlea, or other parts of my inner ear. -- I also put some directly on my eyelids, and it's done wonders for the resilience of my eyes.

Regarding doing everything we can to keep various kinds of circulation as optimal as possible, I'm a big believer in doing various kinds of stretching and other body work to help in that regard. I made a post here on Tinnitus Talk in which I mention the experience of a man who had chronic sleep problems and anxiety, and was able to trace it to a tight Psoas Muscle. It would not surprise me in the least if a degree of some people's tinnitus could be traced to a tight psoas muscle, or even some other kind of constriction elsewhere, perhaps very far from our head. If you're interested in any of this, you may want to check out the work of Pete Egoscue, the man Jack Nicklaus credited with saving his golf career by being able to get effective treatment for his chronically bad back. He wrote a best selling book called Pain Free: A Revolutionary Method for Stopping Chronic Pain. I would consider it a must book to read for anybody who does a lot of sitting.

• Like Like x 1
    17. ChristianEsco

ChristianEsco Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music production & Nightlife job
      I'm going to be trying this whole routine. Just as an FYI, the eardrum is air tight. Putting liquid into your ear doesn't not mean it will make it to your inner ear or hair cells or cochlea. This would only happen if you had a hole in your eardrum.

• Like Like x 1
    18. Clerkp

Clerkp Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music
      Have you tried this? Any feedback?

• Good Question Good Question x 1