Do ENTs Actually Attempt to Identify What Is Causing the Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by RonnieCarzatto, Apr 25, 2017.

1. RonnieCarzatto
      Cynical

RonnieCarzatto Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Feb 01 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Mild head injury maybe... but who knows...
      Just wondering what exactly the ENT can do beyond obviously checking what's going on with the ear from a physical standpoint (obvious sign of infection, scars/tears, etc.) and hearing tests, and ear cleanings. I've been reading a lot of demoralizing experiences involving ENTs/tinnitus. I'm anxious because I don't want "eh hearing and ear looks fine, learn to live with it, get the hell out of my office now". Considering the endless possibilities that can cause tinnitus... do they have any method of checking for TMD problems, or are they able to see and properly diagnose ETD as well, etc.?

I know there is no silver bullet for tinnitus, however there appears to be many causes and different types of tinnitus, and I'm curious to know if anyone has any experience with ENTs that actually attempt to identify any root cause... or are they all just dismissive...

My experiences with doctors have not been positive since this started unfortunately. As an example, my first act of action was to attend my family doctor right... I explain the tinnitus and crackling noise in my ears... he checks inside my ears, says "looks fine, must be eustachian tube dysfunction", gave me a nasal spray to take for two weeks and sent me on my merry way. All of this in less than 4 minutes, and I politely suggested, couldn't be something else? And of course, nothing has changed to this point. I went back, explained still have tinnitus, and he expresses surprise and puzzlement.

I am seeking to prepare myself for my visit, and any suggestions that anyone has regarding ENT/tinnitus related visits I'm very open to hearing them.

I appreciate any and all insight as always!

2. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Hi @RonnieCarzatto
      Please click on the link below and read my article: Tinnitus, A Personal View. It covers information on visiting an ENT doctor and tests carried out. Referral to a Hearing Therapist and treatments that help tinnitus. There is also other information that you might find helpful. If you have a printer, I suggest you print it as it's quite long.
      All the best
      Michael

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/tinnitus-a-personal-view.18668/

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      RonnieCarzatto
      Cynical

RonnieCarzatto Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Feb 01 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      • Like Like x 1
    4. Kibakiru
      Creative

Kibakiru Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 28 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown | PT: Unknown
      My ENT really just checked for any physical reason behind my tinnitus, saw nothing, and then referred me to the next step in the journey. Though I wouldn't say it wasn't helpful. At least they eliminated any chances of anything that could be harmful to me (Hell, I found out I had mild high-frequency hearing loss in my right ear, which has convinced me that at least part of my tinnitus is due to long periods of exposure to noise), which is always nice for somebody like me, who only needs to have a sore throat before I'm making funeral plans and writing my will.

I think for most of us, the ENT is just a stepping stone to get where we need to go. Though some only need to go to the ENT and that's their journey over.

I wouldn't go to the ENT with the idea that you're going to walk home with a cure. I think it's more healthy to go to the appointment with the idea that you're going to be a step closer to getting some answers and finding a possible solution behind your tinnitus.

Just my experience though. I'm not exactly sure how it is for others or how it'll be for yours. Good luck!

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      RonnieCarzatto
      Cynical

RonnieCarzatto Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Feb 01 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Kibakiru

Sounds about right. I know it's a "necessary" part of this journey. I just wish there were more comprehensive ways of looking for different clues... Oh well, life is a b**** sometimes.

• Hug Hug x 1
    6. PaulBe

PaulBe Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably sound, though never proven
      Picking an ENT is a crapshoot because so much depends on the interest the ENT has in the subject, which oftentimes is not much. Looking for obvious fluid behind the eardrum with an otoscope (as the GP has probably already done), noting that the non-contrast MRI your GP ordered and a radiologist interpreted shows whatever (usually nothing), and reading the audiologist's interpretation of your basic hearing test before sending you out to pay his bill, is about as far as a lot of us get. It's easy to accept a referral for something he knows he won't do anything with and it gives him a nice paid break in his day of consultations.