Do I Actually Have Hearing Loss — Or Is It Just My Imagination?

Discussion in 'Support' started by JamFam, May 7, 2021.

1. JamFam

JamFam Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Last week
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Blowing nose
      Two weeks ago I noticed that when watching TV or using headphones, my right ear sounds louder than my left ear.

What's weird about this is that during regular everyday conversations with people in types of different environments, whether loud or quiet, my ears function just fine.

My doctor diagnosed me with ETD and apparently on of the symptoms is hearing loss.

I went to an audiologist yesterday and he said that my ears seem perfectly healthy based on my results.

So am I going crazy and the hearing loss I have been experiencing is all just in my head?

Screenshot_20210507-022427.png

Screenshot_20210507-022329.png

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    2. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      Did you have a tympanogram? It could be due to altered pressure within the eardrum.

3. Forever hopeful
      Disappointed

Forever hopeful Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2015 resolved, 4/20 L ear, increase 2/21
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2015,noise,2020-21 SNHL
      Your hearing looks great. Perhaps something else is going on.

4. Tinker Bell

Tinker Bell Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      It’s likely because your right ear is your dominant ear. Similar to having a dominant hand, everyone has a dominant ear. Typically it’s the right ear, which is better at hearing speech, while the left ear is more sensitive to music. A dominant ear can have the perception of better hearing, but instead it’s linked to how the brain processes speech and music. There is some research that suggests ear dominance corresponds with whether someone is left or right brained.

• Informative Informative x 1