Do Noise Cancelling Headphones Produce Static Noise Itself?

Discussion in 'Support' started by pytajnick, Nov 26, 2017.

1. pytajnick

pytajnick Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      2/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I am about to have a flight in few days so I bought online a pair of used noise canceling headphones (sony mdr 100abn) and noticed that they produce low-level static noise regardless whether noise canceling is switched on or off. Is it normal or did I just get a faulty unit?

They work quite well in terms of reducing low-frequency ambient noise but create this static sound which irritates my reactive tinnitus after a while of using them...

Have anyone used this model or other ones and noticed same thing?

2. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      My Bose NC headphones don't seem to do that.

3. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      My Bose 35 headphones don't do that. I am pretty sure that you have a faulty unit.

You might consider buying 3M Peltor X5A muffs. They provide as much noise reduction as Bose 35 noise cancelling headphones, while being a lot cheaper (under $50). The two problems are - they are not as comfortable, and they don't look like something one would be comfortable wearing in public. I used to be hesitant about putting them on. However, I have been wearing them in public places lately and nobody (except small children, whose mind seems to be blown) seems to care.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      pytajnick

Tinnitus Since:
      2/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @Bill Bauer @GregCA
      So I've tried a new pair of the same model and there's still this low level static/humming sound (a bit like white noise). I ordered another, higher model (1000X) from Amazon to see if this is something common for Bluetooth headphones or just for the sony 100abn. I guess all Bluetooth headphones are supposed to generate very low-level self-noise barely noticeable for "normal" person but for someone with as reactive T as mine it's more than enough to aggravate it for... hmm actually I can't say for how long because it still didn' get back to the baseline (wherever my baseline is now).

I guess I should expect that. A few weeks ago I had a WNG's fitting at NHS hearing therapist and even at the lowest volume, they were too loud for my ears. I even tried to wear them slightly incorrectly to decrease the level of sound reaching the ear canal, switching them on just for an hour or two and wearing switched off for the rest of the day to build tolerance. Everything to no avail:/ After a week I only got another spike or permanent worsening (can't tell yet). I guess there's no plan B for me...

As for Peltors - I considered using them but they seemed a bit of an overkill to me and the social aspect was also an issue for me but it seems now I will have to reconsider eventually. Or maybe I should just make a leap of faith and ditch all the protection altogether and hope that H and reactive T will get better? :)

• Hug Hug x 1
    5. GregCA
      Jaded

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      I don't think that's true. A headphone (BT or otherwise) that doesn't get any sound signal coming in (ie flat 0V signal) is not supposed to generate any sound: the speaker membranes are not supposed to be moving at all. Bluetooth is just the protocol to get the sound data over to the headphone: it makes no difference vs hardwired when it comes to "zero signal", AFAIK.

Now if you turn on the Noise Cancelling feature, then some interesting circuitry kicks in, and depending on the implementation, you may feel some kind of hum indeed, but I have to tell you I don't notice it with my Bose. I've read that Bose has the best implementation of NC, so perhaps it would be worth it for you to go and try one pair somewhere just to check if it makes a difference to you.

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      pytajnick

Tinnitus Since:
      2/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I guess I'll have to check them out. I haven't tried any other Bluetooth headphones, I had this impression of mandatory bluetooth noise after noticing it in two different units. Maybe it's characteristic to this specific model, I don't know. I've also read the comparison table on rtings.com where there is this parameter - "self noise". Maybe it's related to sound generated by NC? Btw are you using QC25 or QC35?

7. Zug
      Woot

Zug Member Benefactor

Yes, noise canceling headphones emit a very low white noise. It's not the bluetooth, it's just the noise canceling feature. If that's what you're talking about, then yes, it's ok. It's not a problem of the equipment nor of your hearing, on the contrary, you hear quite well what most people don't even notice.

8. GregCA
      Jaded

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      I'm using the QC15 actually (bought them in 2011!)

9. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      QC35

10. GMD

GMD Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I bought a pair of Boise 35 II noise cancelling headphones thinking that they would be good on the plane. They produced an unnatural dead air space, which made my T more noticeable. It made me anxious. I remember now when I was first diagnosed with T and H that my audiologist told me ambient sound (not loud) was my friend. I need ambient sounds around to mix with my T, otherwise it stands out too much. I do better with regular headphones or ear buds. So, I took the Boise headphones back to the store. Every day I learn something new about T.

11. GregCA
      Jaded

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Indeed. I wouldn't use the NC headphones without any sound being played into them. Their attractiveness for T folks is that you can play your sounds at low volume, since you don't have to compete with external sounds (which are "cancelled out").

12. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I would. On an airplane there is enough noise to keep the noise reaching your ears well above the noise level of your home, even when NC headphones are on, and are not playing anything.

• Like Like x 1
    13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      pytajnick

Tinnitus Since:
      2/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      According to several websites and my experience (I tried two different models so far) noise-canceling module in these headphones are producing some soft noise by themselves and on top of that this noise cancellation is not perfect (there is some sound reaching ears) so at least for me, the lack of ambient sound is not an issue. I agree that using them in silent environment doesn't make sense but as for plane or train travels, busy street etc closed headphones might be insufficient especially when dealing with low frequencies.

My sony's 1000x arrived and indeed with NC module turned off I can't tell the difference between headphones switched on or off so the white noise I mentioned before is non-existent or quiet enough to be not-noticeable for me. I guess then that the sound I mentioned in previous posts is something characteristic for the model I tried before - mdr- 100abn. I'm sure about that because I tried two units of the same model. It surprises me that no-one mentioned that in any review I've read or seen. These are headphones in 200 Pounds price range!
      The sound created by NC is still apparent to me but easily drowned by music. Still, after spending some time with them my ears feel somewhat tired and my T is increased. I am not sure whether it's the problem with the infamous pressure issue some people mentioned in this forum or simply the fact that these days everything makes my T louder...

14. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Why didn't you buy Bose 35 NC headphones. They don't create Any sound...

• Agree Agree x 1
    15. Fangen
      Moonlighting

Fangen Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2nd, 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma (loud concert for 1h)
      I have MX100X and I notice a slight white noise but mostly never notice unless it's quiet and I use for traveling to work and on planes. I don't know if the white noise is from myself that I notice more because T is locked in or not. But I don't get a spike, if I do it's mostly when I get home and is tired mentally and physically.

16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      pytajnick

Tinnitus Since:
      2/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I didn't have a chance to try them yet. But I will. You're sure there is no sound whatsoever even when NC is on? There are several threads on the internet where people are claiming that there is indeed slight sound (like distant wind) generated by NC. And there's also a test when they even measured db level of the NC. Probably I will have to find out myself:)

http://www.rtings.com/headphones/reviews/bose/quietcomfort-35-qc35#comparison_1242
      There is the review of QC35. When you look at "isolation" you'll notice value called "self-noise"

I think it's my hearing which got super-sensitive since I acquired hyperacusis. I am very easily picking up every white noise, static or very high pitched noises generated by electronic devices. Usually people complain about that issue at the beginning. In my case I get to this state gradually (6 months):/ Let's hope It will also gradually diminish. Of course this "super power" comes in pair with getting spikes very easily...

17. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I can't hear anything, and I believe I have very sensitive hearing. (Having said this, I am in my forties so there might be frequencies that I can no longer hear.)

Oh, looks like I have QC25 (mine are not wireless).

Thank you for the link that that amazing website. It was interesting to learn that my headphones provide 25 dB noise reduction... It is also good to know that battery life is over 30 hours.