Do You Have Any Other Diseases / Conditions Besides Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Markku, Apr 13, 2011.

tinnitus forum
    1. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Director Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame Team Trobalt Team Tech Team Awareness Team Research

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      It's not funny at all, but I also have eye floaters. Some probably know what they are, but if you want a more thorough description, check Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Floater

Floaters I have had since the age of 15, so for about 10 years longer than tinnitus.

It's hard to say which is harder to habituate to, floaters or tinnitus. Probably tinnitus. Floaters you can escape from by going to darker environments and at night they don't bother you. Floaters are also theoretically treatable by surgery (the operation is called FOV, Floaters Only Vitrectomy), but it's risky and there are reasons not to have it done. There is also laser treatment (YAG) but the results aren't really promising.

But those are the only conditions I'm suffering from currently. Well, I'm 26 soon so here's hoping my health doesn't deteriorate much more in the near future...

PS. I was diagnosed with rolandic epilepsy in my childhood, I took medication for it between the years of 8 and 15. When I was 15 the doctors came to the conclusion that I no longer had the affliction, so the treatment was stopped. And I only suffered a couple of mildish seizures when I was about 6-7 (before the medication), so I consider myself lucky in that aspect. Epilepsy can be a really tough disease depending on the severity...

How about you?

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. Allevous

Allevous Member

Diabetes type I-have had it along time, managing fine! It was hard for my parents at first. Insulin pump.

3. rogerg

rogerg Member

Crohn's and nummular eczema. Crohn's symptoms are under control.. the eczema is acting crazy (I-T-C-H-E-S). :mad:

4. 2014winner
      Inspired

2014winner Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      otitis media with permanent hearing loss
      I have had trigeminal neuralgia since 2003. It is essentially under control because of medication.
      Any suggestions for this one: because my hearing sometimes goes to one side and it is difficult, I am without 3 days supply of alprazolam. I am not addicted to it, but sometimes if I don't take it the sound's effect on my brain function is more than it would be without it. In New York State there are "Rockefeller Laws". Ask my neurologist to help out, or just forget it?
      Any tips on how to upload the avatar? I want to be part of this group.
      Thank you.
      2014 Winner

5. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Director Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame Team Trobalt Team Tech Team Awareness Team Research

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      Find a picture you like (and save it to your computer if it's from some web page), and then go here: https://www.tinnitustalk.com/account/avatar

6. Amelia
      Daring

Amelia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2013
      @Markku - this may have been asked before but did you have the floaters before the T?

When my sinus issues started I noticed more and more floaters myself and when I finally saw the ENT one of the first questions she asked me was whether is had an increase in floaters ...

7. Markku
      Inspired

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      Yes I did. The amount of them has significantly increased within the past few years though; after getting tinnitus.

I wonder why your ENT asked that though. Is there a connection?

8. Amelia
      Daring

Amelia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2013
      That's what I'm wondering too! I might ask her when I see her at the end of January

• Like Like x 1
    9. Lulubug69
      Artistic

Lulubug69 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/2013
      I have floaters also for some time now. I'm 50 so I don't think it's all that uncommon really. I'm a migraine sufferer since childhood. I've had vertigo a few times in the last 6 years or so before T. I've had hormonal imbalances in last 10 years (Peri menopause). I'm quite healthy overall.
      I wonder has anyone used drugs recreationally at any point in there life? I wonder if there is any brain chemical imbalances in people with T? If that can set us up for the perfect storm at some point in our lives?

10. Champ
      Woot

Champ Member Benefactor Team Tech

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma from headphones
      Ototoxic drugs definitely could cause it. I've never heard of other psychoactives causing it but maybe if they were stressful or something that would make sense. But it's all speculation though.

11. awbw8
      Balanced

awbw8 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2013
      I have PCOS - it's quite mild in me, which I'm very, very grateful for, and is pretty well controlled with meds. It can be viscious though. It's a hormonal condition that's occurs in women.

12. Stina
      Psychedelic

Stina Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/13
      I have juvenile arthritis since I was 9. Hasnt caused any major damage and doesnt affect my life (touch wood). Been on medication for years but doesnt bother me. I also have rosacea and occasionaly swollen pingueculas in the wyw but they also dont bother me as much as T:(

• Hug Hug x 2
    13. LeQuack
      Scared

LeQuack Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad luck and bad genes
      I have floaters as well. I'd much rather have a ton of floaters than tinnitus. There's just no comparison.

14. Champ
      Woot

Champ Member Benefactor Team Tech

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma from headphones
      Same. Although I have had a nonstop eye twitching for the past couple of weeks that is actually as distracting and maddening as the tinnitus hahah. I managed to treat it with tonic water... which seems to be doing the trick right now.... if only tonic water also silenced the tinnitus :D

15. Cher69
      Fine

Cher69 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      20/5/2013
      I am lucky I guess I have no other conditions - but I understand all about eplipesy @Markku my husband has it and was fit fee since approx 16 yrs of age - then out of the blue a few years age age 40ish had a fit - turned our lives upside down but we got through it - then boom another one a few years later - touch wood he has been ok for 5 years now.

16. Penelope33
      Torn

Penelope33 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 2013
      Floaters too, but only since pregnancy. At least you can close your eyes and they not there anymore .

17. peter1974
      Balanced

peter1974 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      I also have floaters and just started to wear glasses for reading. Had them (or noticed them) few years ago and eye doctor said its normal to get them as you get older. I forgot about them or do not notice them anymore.

18. Liesel

Liesel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2013
      It's not easy to admit, but I have genital herpes.

As much as tinnitus has affected my life, it'll never compare to how I felt after that diagnosis. :(

19. Hendre Vlad
      Haunting

Hendre Vlad Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2013
      Yeah..i have floaters..there ar like..rak gloves floating in my eye sight..but i got used to them..sometimes i even play with them when i am waiting for the bus lol

20. Johno
      Dreaming

Johno Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      Eye floaters have too. But i am fully habituated on them. And now i have depressions and insomnia (tinnitus is the reason)

21. Hudson
      Cowboy

Hudson Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Just jumping in to remind everyone here that eye floaters are very common. Even in people with good eyesight. Floaters have never bothered me much. I have them as well. I think mine have probably been exacerbated by staring at computer screens for years, but what the hell am I going to do about it. I don't notice them unless I'm staring up at the sky or something.

I've never understood why people freak out about genital herpes so much. It is just the "cousin" of the very common HSV 1, or cold sore virus. Literally billions of people carry that virus and nobody cares.

Genital herpes really isn't that big of a deal either. Hundreds of millions of people have it. The huge majority of people are asymptomatic, and they don't even know they have it. It usually can only be spread through contact with a lesion. For people who display symptoms, the vast majority of the time they decrease in intensity, duration and frequency over time. Most people who have symptoms may only get 1 or 2 outbreaks, and never have one again after that.

I don't know why people freak out even more about something that occurs on your genitals when they could care less about literally the exact same thing on your mouth. It just is a reflection of peoples' obsession/phobias of sex in our modern world.

As far as I know, I don't have herpes. I studied as a virologist and worked somewhat on retroviruses (HSV 1 and 2 are retroviruses). If you're ever bummed out about it, just think: you could have a much worse retrovirus.... HIV! :)

22. Boxdra

Boxdra Member

Muscle spasms (twitching fingers, arms and legs tingling sensation every day) and irritable bowel syndrom.

My docter said most likely caused by stress. I'm really a stresser.

23. seal

seal Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2007
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      I have floaters too, but I'm not much disturbed by them. In my case it comes from my extreme bad eyesight I guess. My mom however has a real mouche volant meaning a big black floater which looks like a fly... she says it doesn't bother her most of the time, only when it moves a lot around although it got bigger than it used to be... I admire her for being so relaxed about it, that's what I aim for my Tinnitus

24. Dan Reagan
      Chicken

Dan Reagan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2013
      I have floaters too for about 3 yrs now and seemed more noticeable after my T started in September last year. Also just was diagnosed with H pylori stomach infection and was prescribed Clarithromycin, Amoxicillin and Omeprazole. I am worried to death that this drug combo is going to spike my T temporarily or permanently.

25. Stina
      Psychedelic

Stina Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/13
      Have you already started taking them and noticed a difference?

26. Dan Reagan
      Chicken

Dan Reagan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2013
      Yes I have and last night and early this morning it definitely seemed louder but I don't know if it was the anxiety causing it or the meds.

27. Stina
      Psychedelic

Stina Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/13
      Well you can read Karenäs reply in chat. Im taking Amoxicillin myself right now, have been taking it for 3 days and havent noticed any changes (touch wood).

28. Ishank
      Wishful

Ishank Member

Tinnitus Since:
      22/12/2013
      I was taking heavy dose of Amoxicillin last week. As per my experience, Amoxicillin would not make tinnitus bad. I think stress make it louder.

29. baz 22
      Alone

baz 22 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Thought i would bring this thread back to life cause it is interesting.

I have asthma quite mild , used to be worse.

30. glynis-harbron
      Feminine

glynis-harbron Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Ambassador Team Awareness Team Research

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      I am under the Hospital sever asthma unit and hate when my breathing is bad and talking is hard to do as sound to gruffy and croaky or carnt talk at all wich is so frustrating and to puffed get about.
      I love it when my lungs are well as can talk for England and love a good chat as I'm a very friendly chatty person.

I love my life and can text for England too ☺......lots of love glynis