Do You Have Any Other Diseases / Conditions Besides Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Markku, Apr 13, 2011.

1. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      It's not funny at all, but I also have eye floaters. Some probably know what they are, but if you want a more thorough description, check Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Floater

Floaters I have had since the age of 15, so for about 10 years longer than tinnitus.

Tinnitus is obviously harder to habituate to. Floaters you can escape from by going to darker environments and at night they don't bother you. Floaters are also theoretically treatable by surgery (the operation is called FOV, Floaters Only Vitrectomy), but it's risky and there are reasons not to have it done. There is also laser treatment (YAG) but the results aren't really promising.

But those are the only conditions I'm suffering from currently. Well, I'm 26 soon so here's hoping my health doesn't deteriorate much more in the near future...

PS. I was diagnosed with rolandic epilepsy in my childhood, I took medication for it between the years of 8 and 15. When I was 15 the doctors came to the conclusion that I no longer had the affliction, so the treatment was stopped. And I only suffered a couple of mildish seizures when I was about 6-7 (before the medication), so I consider myself lucky in that aspect. Epilepsy can be a really tough disease depending on the severity...

How about you?

• Hug Hug x 2
    2. rogerg

rogerg Member

Crohn's and nummular eczema. Crohn's symptoms are under control... the eczema is acting crazy (I-T-C-H-E-S). :mad:

3. Amelia
      Daring

Amelia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2013
      @Markku - this may have been asked before but did you have the floaters before the tinnitus?

When my sinus issues started I noticed more and more floaters myself and when I finally saw the ENT one of the first questions she asked me was whether is had an increase in floaters...

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      Yes I did. The amount of them has significantly increased within the past few years though; after getting tinnitus.

I wonder why your ENT asked that though. Do they think there is a connection?

5. Amelia
      Daring

Amelia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2013
      That's what I'm wondering too! I might ask her when I see her at the end of January.

• Like Like x 1
    6. Lulubug69
      Artistic

Lulubug69 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/2013
      I have had floaters also for some time now. I'm 50 so I don't think it's all that uncommon really. I'm a migraine sufferer since childhood. I've had vertigo a few times in the last 6 years or so before tinnitus. I've had hormonal imbalances in last 10 years (Perimenopause). I'm quite healthy overall.

7. awbw8
      Balanced

awbw8 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2013
      I have PCOS - it's quite mild in me, which I'm very, very grateful for, and is pretty well controlled with meds. It can be viscious though. It's a hormonal condition that's occurs in women.

8. Stina
      Psychedelic

Stina Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/13
      I have had juvenile arthritis since I was 9. It hasn't caused any major damage and doesn't affect my life (touch wood). I've been on medication for years but that doesn't bother me.

• Hug Hug x 2
    9. LeQuack
      Gloomy

LeQuack Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad luck and bad genes
      I have floaters as well. I'd much rather have a ton of floaters than tinnitus. There's just no comparison.

10. Cher69
      Fine

Cher69 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      20/5/2013
      I am lucky I guess I have no other conditions - but I understand all about epilepsy @Markku.

My husband has it and was fit fee since approx 16 years of age - then out of the blue a few years ago age 40ish had a fit - turned our lives upside down but we got through it - then boom another one a few years later - touch wood he has been ok for 5 years now.

11. Penelope33
      Torn

Penelope33 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 2013
      Floaters too, but only since pregnancy. At least you can close your eyes and they are not there anymore.

12. Liesel

Liesel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2013
      It's not easy to admit, but I have genital herpes.

As much as tinnitus has affected my life, it'll never compare to how I felt after that diagnosis. :(

13. Hudson
      Cowboy

Hudson Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Just jumping in to remind everyone here that eye floaters are very common. Even in people with good eyesight. Floaters have never bothered me much. I have them as well. I think mine have probably been exacerbated by staring at computer screens for years, but what the hell am I going to do about it. I don't notice them unless I'm staring up at the sky or something.
      I've never understood why people freak out about genital herpes so much. It is just the "cousin" of the very common HSV 1, or cold sore virus. Literally billions of people carry that virus and nobody cares.

Genital herpes really isn't that big of a deal either. Hundreds of millions of people have it. The huge majority of people are asymptomatic, and they don't even know they have it. It usually can only be spread through contact with a lesion. For people who display symptoms, the vast majority of the time they decrease in intensity, duration and frequency over time. Most people who have symptoms may only get 1 or 2 outbreaks, and never have one again after that.

I don't know why people freak out even more about something that occurs on your genitals when they could care less about literally the exact same thing on your mouth. It just is a reflection of peoples' obsession/phobias of sex in our modern world.

As far as I know, I don't have herpes. I studied as a virologist and worked somewhat on retroviruses (HSV 1 and 2 are retroviruses). If you're ever bummed out about it, just think: you could have a much worse retrovirus.... HIV! :)

14. Boxdra

Boxdra Member

Muscle spasms (twitching fingers, arms and legs tingling sensation every day) and irritable bowel syndrome.

My doctor said most likely caused by stress. I'm really a stresser.

15. seal

seal Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2007
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      I have floaters too, but I'm not much disturbed by them. In my case they come from my extreme bad eyesight I guess.

My mom however has a real mouche volant meaning a big black floater which looks like a fly... she says it doesn't bother her most of the time, only when it moves a lot around, although it has got bigger than it used to be. I admire her for being so relaxed about it. That's what I aim for my tinnitus.

16. noisebox
      Loved

noisebox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      West End show. Came back 2015 vitamin D overdose prescribed
      Hughes syndrome, fibromyalgia and Sjogrens syndrome. Now depression thanks to T.

17. Vaba
      Shitfaced

Vaba Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Unknown
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown. Gradual, Progressive
      Giant-ass dark brown severely problematic eye floaters in my left eye only, magnified in size because they're so close to my retina. In reality they're very small, but due to the properties of the human eye they appear far larger than they are objectively.

Also I have severe musculoskeletal/posture issues. A LOT of my muscles are asymmetrical (uneven) and very very tight especially in the neck and lumbar area.

Also I'm hypermobile. My rheumatologist said he's never seen a 21 year old man with the flexibility of a 12 year old girl. Haha! I would classify this as more of an ADVANTAGE than a disease, but it's annoying as shit right now having both tight muscles and loose joints.

18. Tom Cnyc

Tom Cnyc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Warehouse event after years of enjoying music.
      I've had my groin reconstructed after a weight lifting injury. 5 years of physical therapy, 3 surgeries.

Tinnitus started about a month after I was able to start being active again.

19. hartje5
      Wishful

hartje5 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      4 december 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Verapamil, Flecainide, Apixaban, stress
      I have a degenerated disk in my lower back, atrial fibrillation, sick sinus syndrome, a pacemaker, a leaking mitral valve, cardiomyopathy, tinnitus, hyperacusis and my latest asset: depression. The last four years have been really tough. In chronological order (n)

2012 - herniated disk in my lower back that lead to the discovery of a heart condition that's called
      2013 - persistent atrial fibrillation, when they tried to zap my heart back in to sinus rhythm, they discovered I had
      2014 - sick sinus syndrome, to correct my heart rhythm I had an
      2015 - hybrid ablation which did not go to plan, so I got a
      2015 - pacemaker implant, when they gave medicine to get my heart into sync, I got
      2015 - tinnitus and hyperacusis, which led to
      2016 - depression and the discovery of
      2016 - my mitral valve that is leaking, and now
      2016 - they suspect I have cardiomyopathy.

I hope had my share for now :confused:.

• Hug Hug x 2
    20. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Yes, I can think of two other things that impact my quality of life and I deal with on a daily basis, none of them were genetic conditions, nothing that I was born with. One that happened a few years ago was partly my fault, the other that happened when I was a teenager and the tinnitus that happened 6 months ago were entirely caused by others.

Not sure I want to get into the other two right now. I have always been super careful about things, almost to an OCD degree, but other people will just fuck your life up either for money or out of sheer stupidity and go about their merry way. Part of the reason I have become more and more misanthropic.

I'm 30 but I feel like I'm a lot older with all the things I have to deal with.