Do you hear unequally in both ears despite normal audiometry?

Discussion in 'Support' started by hps, Aug 29, 2013.

1. hps

hps Member

Tinnitus Since:
      14 oct 2012
      Hi all
      I am curious to know if you hear equally in both ears ;
      My conventional hearing tests are normal but if I listen to a speach or singer in the song with one ear closing the other for few seconds and repeat the procedure alternately I find I hear more crisp in my left ear.Hearing in my right ear appear to be slightly muffled and sound seem to come from a distance and more to the left of source/tv etc.

On cocenterating on music, left ear hears sound of singer more clearly but treble parts like cymbals etc blunted, reverse is true for right ear ;cymbals more clear.

On extended high frequency testing left ear [better listening] has slight dip at 12 khz and 16 khz as compared to right ear. This may explain decreased hearing of cymbals on left side but why I hear better overall from left ear although it shows dip at 12 and 16 khz.?

My T is also more on left side.

I read somewhere that majority of population hear speech better in left ear and individual components of music in right ear as in my case .What is your experience?

Hps

2. James White
      Anime

James White Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Maybe loud music. Not sure.
      i think it's the same for everyone, including me of course

3. JTP
      No Mood

JTP Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      5/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Shit happens
      I think that the frequency response of ear at normal music listening levels might be different from the
      threshold-of-hearing response that is measured in hearing test.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      hps

hps Member

Tinnitus Since:
      14 oct 2012
      One of my employee is having similar condition with similar high freuency loss in one ear ,but he is not having tinnitus, so asymmetrical hearing loss in very high frequencies may not definitely cause tinnitus.