Do You Still Listen to Music?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by uae96, Jul 22, 2015.

1. uae96
      Thinking

uae96 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/14/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Since everyone here has tinnitus and some with h as well , do you still listen regulary listen to music at low volumes at least ? I still do but I'm scared that might make things worse , I just want some opinions from people who has more expeirience with t

2. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Danny Boy Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      I do sometimes...But I have cutback out of fear...Hopefully when Autifony comes out I can listen to music more.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      uae96
      Thinking

uae96 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/14/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Man , I can't wait all the way for aut what If it doesn't work , I'm positive about it , but u always have to expect the worst and add any success as a bonus ,

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. JC Denton

JC Denton Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      I listen to music everyday, at pretty much the same volume i used to. Granted, the tinnitus flares up for a little while afterwards but it rarely bothers me now. On the other hand i haven't dared played guitar/bass at anything approaching the trouser flapping volumes i used to... it's too much of a risk.

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. Mike82
      Wishful

Mike82 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014
      I don't listen to music through headphones like I used to. My record collection is worth thousands of dollars though, so...

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      uae96
      Thinking

uae96 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/14/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Watch out for high volumes ... Irs tinnitus enemy

7. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      It'll work. For some reason some people want to think of the worst. It's odd.

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      uae96
      Thinking

uae96 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/14/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      We'll see... Do u have any idea on when the release of results will be around when ?

9. Ye, unless I am in dire pain.....I also have to be a little "choosier" with what I listen too..like no more Hendrix..that sort thing..

Volume of course is lowered....

• Hug Hug x 1
    10. Xorthian
      Balanced

Xorthian Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Initial 2012. Massive spike 4/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noisey Lifestyle. Increase from infection.
      At normal volume yes. 70db max.

11. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      End of year. Maybe sooner.

• Agree Agree x 1
    12. jimH
      Caffeine

jimH Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      30 years+
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Yes, music is one of life's great pleasures for the mind and spirit.. However, with both T & H, only moderate volume and no headphones.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    13. Richard zurowski

Richard zurowski Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      27/12/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection.
      I lisen to music it's the only way I can get to sleep. I just put my headphones on at bedtime. On low volume of course, until I eventually fall asleep, that's my way of getting to sleep, and it works for me.

14. ruben ruiz

ruben ruiz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I believe it was meds and stress
      Only mellow music with long drawn out notes. Fast music seems to draw out the worst in my brain.
      Im a musician no less. There nice slow music on youtube. Its calming. But if your jonesing good luck and god bless.

15. Cheza
      Wishful

Cheza Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barking dogs/stress
      Only when driving, and only if my T isn't screaming. If the T is loud, then music just aggravates it. Like the other day, I had the CD playing and I could hear the hissing ramping up. So I turned the music off.

I always kept the music at low or moderate volume, and rarely used headphones. In the last 10 years I've listened to music at home less and less. I think it's because wherever you go now, there's music playing. Every store, every restaurant, while on hold on the phone, even walking down the street in my town they're playing music from speakers (Christmas season is the worst). So I'm oversaturated with music coming at me from every direction.

• Agree Agree x 1
    16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      uae96
      Thinking

uae96 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/14/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Yea same only when I'm driving ,low volume tho , and yes now everywhere there's music ! It's ridiculous

17. I'd die without music. It's that simple. .In the beginning I would sing songs in my head to keep going.

For me it is therapy.

• Agree Agree x 3
    18. jimH
      Caffeine

jimH Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      30 years+
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Music is able to reach and touch parts of the mind, emotions and spirit that words by themselves simply cannot...

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 1
    19. UserID
      Lucky

UserID Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/01/1972
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Artillery
      I'm still a firm believer in sound being the key to habituation. Sensitivity to sound is cured by sound. I've experienced it. T, however, remains with me, and for it I have a transmitter that sends MP3 recordings into my bluetooth hearing aids. On "bad" days, I listen to crickets most of the day.

20. BryceJ

BryceJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      clonanzepan
      Moderate music is my only relief. I don't have a cellphone. But at my house, I listen to sirius-xm radio. I don't pay much attention to the music although I have it on stations that I like. It somewhat relieves the attention on T.
      Sometimes I use a portable music player on which I put music. Sansa Clip (a cheaper alternative to Ipod).
      Moderate volume with ear clips. I find that larger headphones reflect the T.

21. AndyBluestar

AndyBluestar Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/1985
      Music alleviates my tinnitus, as well as offering a distraction from it, helping my concentration and of course giving me lots of pleasure. I have decent headphones (Sennheiser HD25) and I listen to music at a nice loud volume, so that I can't hear the T. After a good hour or more of music, when I remove the 'phones I don't notice the T as much. Same if I go to a nightclub. I should add that I only go to places I know have professional sound systems, with quality speakers. I have mild hearing loss at some frequencies caused by awful speakers in nightclubs, but it's not the cause of my tinnitus. When I leave the club, my T is noticeably quieter. I guess it works like masking therapy. I feel the same as StreetSpirit. A world without music would be a very miserable place, for me.

22. LeQuack
      Gloomy

LeQuack Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad luck and bad genes
      I listen to music almost all the time, it's the only thing that keeps me sane.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    23. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      uae96
      Thinking

uae96 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/14/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I stopped listening to music on ear phones , they are the most dangerous for hearing , now only speakers

24. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I've been listening to a lot of music while working this week because I'm working remotely from a beautiful quiet place with no coworkers to bitch about my raucous industrial music.

Something that I've noticed lately is that often when an album ends, I'm still not really aware of my tinnitus until I consciously remember that it's there and focus on it. So, that's progress... that would have been unthinkable a couple years ago.

I also like to spend some amount of time with earplugs in and no background noise, just to try to really be at peace with the tinnitus... after all, if I ever go completely deaf, then that's the world I'll be in, and it seems useful to be somewhat prepared for that.

25. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      I listen to Pandora or iHeart Radio almost daily in my office, breaks up the silence and relaxes me. I listen to music in my car. I just don't blast it.

26. Nucleo

Nucleo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2011
      Music isn't really enjoyable anymore for me. My hearing is distorted and everything sounds like a garbled mess. As an added bonus it also brings me pain. No thx.

27. Eltel

Eltel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/14
      I listen on headphones most days but only around half volume

28. Richard zurowski

Richard zurowski Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      27/12/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection.
      Same here to. Headphones at low volume you can still enjoy your music no need to have it blasting away .

29. The_T
      Question it

The_T Member

I listen to music, but on lower volume than before. Maybe somewhere between low and moderate. I love music and need it sometimes to feel good. Sadly, I have noticed that I listen to music more and more rarely, some periods only when I need to concentrate, but not so much out of joy and so anymore. I do not listen to music "just because you can" like many others seems to do. I do I only when I'm dying without it or when I need to concentrate in an quiet place. I do not use headphones.

Someone mentioned that there are more and more music in our society nowadays - which I agree to - and also think is kind of sad. Everyone should be able to choose if they want music or not, not be forced to listen, and those who want may use headphones with music on not harmful volume.

I live in a busy city and when I have time to listen to music I kind of feel that its better to let my ears rest, you never know what noises tomorrow may bring and you want rested ears by then.

30. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      uae96
      Thinking

uae96 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/14/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Some new phones nowadays have a warning when the volume goes beyond safe levels the volume bars start going red , first white colored bars in safe levels till 60% then starts to become red so they are doing "something" about it