Do You Think It Will Go Away For Me?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Jordan4, Jul 10, 2014.

1. Jordan4

Jordan4 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2014
      I got my tinnitus three and a half weeks ago at a shooting range, and I'm very young (14), I haven't really been around loid noises like that before. Im hoping this goes away, even if it takes a year.

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. Quentino
      Tired

Quentino Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Decrease of Hearing i presume.
      On the internet you mostly found depressive posts on tinnitus ( it's for life, ect) and there is almost nothing positive, because when people get better, they don't return on the forum to say it.

In facts, even noise induced tinnitus can go ( i will not lie, it's quite unusual. Most of the time it decrease. But it can happen!)

You are young and you have no hearing loss it seems. You have all the reasons to be optimistic! But protect your ears!

With ipods, limit the maximum volume! And make some pauses to rest your ears!

Never go to concerts/nightclubs without good earplugs! And keep yourself away from huge speakers!

I think your tinnitus can go away!

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    3. pef

pef Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/16/2013
      Be sure to wear hearing protection whenever shooting. In fact, double up - soft foam plugs + ear muffs, just to be safe! Even .22's. And if anyone tries to give you crap about wearing ear plugs, to heck with them. If they want to screw up their hearing, let them. Do not let anyone pressure you into shooting without hearing protection.

I have read studies where military service members had their tinnitus decrease after some time, and for some it did go away.

Give it six months or so. If it's not gone by then, there's a good chance it may not go away. Not trying to scare you. But look, I got my T from ONE gunshot in an enclosed space, and it's been over a year. It was heck at first, but now it's now a non-factor in my life.

So even if it is permanent, it is not the end of the world. And you are young, and believe it or not, younger people can sometimes roll with things better than older people. I got my T when I was in my mid-40's, and this old fart had trouble adjusting to it. But it's not an issue now.

Also, keep the music down on the ipods, etc. Good luck. No matter what happens, you will be ok.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    4. citigirl13
      Happy

citigirl13 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      17/1/14

You're very young, and your ability to heal will be much better because of that. Hopefully your T will disappear soon. I agree with the suggestions above: be careful with loud noises for now, and to be honest even if your T goes, always wear earplugs to things like this, as well as concerts, clubs etc. Better safe than sorry.

I know people in real life who have had their T disappear, and both were after 6 months - it went for one after two years. Both we due to viruses/colds though, but I have still heard about people's T going from noise-induced T. You're young so all being well you will be fine. Just try to distract yourself and ignore it :)

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    5. MarkD
      Fine

MarkD Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      High cholestoral, stress, inflammation, diabetes
      Focus on good nutrition so that your body gets the right nutrients to heal itself.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    6. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      @Jordan4 posed this same question on a different thread and I said the same thing there I am saying now:

I disagree that Jordan4 should not waste his time with steroid treatments now. They can be effective. But they need to be done immediately. I suggest he explore this option ASAP with his parents and his doctor, and discuss the risks vs. the benefits. If my damn ENT would have told me this was a possibility when he first diagnosed me with tinnitus, vs saying "sorry, there is nothing we can do," I would have taken it. By the time I knew more, it was too late.

HBOT, I am not so crazy about and I don't think the science is there. But that is just my opinion. I did consider it but decided, since it was really pretty late in the game at four months from onset, the thin possibility of benefit was not worth the risk, given my tinnitus was from barotrauma.

If Jordan and his family are interested in HBOT, here is a long thread on it:
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/hyperbaric-oxygen-therapy.211/page-9#post-16413

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jordan4

Jordan4 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2014
      So you guys dont think its too late? I will talk to my mom but i heard a lot about having to take it sooner.

8. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      That's a question you need to ask your doctor. It would have been better immediately following the incident, but I don't think one month is necessarily too late for steroid shots. And they say you can do HBOT for up to three months. There is no guarantee either will work, but you need to go with it now if you want to try it.

And also remember that at one month, you still are new to tinnitus. There is a possibility (again, no guarantees but a possibility) it may go away on its own.

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jordan4

Jordan4 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2014
      I'm not gonna try steroids. My mom talked to some people and they didn't think it would benefit me.

10. Martin69
      Artistic

Martin69 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      (Health) Anxiety
      Did not help in my case either.
      T is a brain issue, as far as I see it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    11. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      Hey Jordan, thanks for updating us. The important thing is your mom checked. If you all decided steroid treatments were not for you, that is fine. They certainly are not a guaranteed fix. Tinnitus is a brain issue... But in the beginning, it's an ear issue too. The longer it goes on, the more it is centered in the brain. Or so says my doc who is the tinnitus researcher.

So now you can concentrate on healing. Protect your ears from loud noises ( but not everyday noise.) Get plenty of sleep, exercise, and eat healthy. Try to ignore your tinnitus as much as possible...keep doing the things you love to do. And come to TT if you have any questions.

• Like Like x 2
    12. I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      I was 14 when I got T, from loud music. Since then I avoided loud sounds and kept cotton handy for noisy situations. Your healthy youth is on your side. When I was your age, I kept on playing the loud music in a band, every day, week after week, for a few years. Yours was just one loud incident, right?

13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jordan4

Jordan4 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2014
      Yes. Two days ago it dropped in volume quite a bit and was even gonr for about a minute. I was so happy to have silence. I hope its on its way out.

• Like Like x 3
      • Hug Hug x 2
      • Winner Winner x 1