Doctor Visit Complete, Opinions? (Can Ear Inflammation Cause Tinnitus?)

Discussion in 'Support' started by Alex Brussel, Jun 26, 2017.

1. Alex Brussel

Alex Brussel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accidental self-afflicted blow
      After a few days of mild ringing in right ear I went to a doc and he told me I have ear inflammation after taking a peek with his ear scope. Gave me ear drops.

Can ear inflammation really do this?

2. Tinker Bell

Tinker Bell Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      Yes. What type of drops did he give you?

3. PaulBe

PaulBe Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably sound, though never proven
      Its one of many things. Are you able to get into an Audiologist to check your hearing properly? If you can it mightn't be a bad idea, even if it all checks out OK. I'm a bit surprised the Doc you saw didn't appear to mention this. many of us with severe, intrusive tinnitus and hyperacusis actually test very well on Audiograms, but there's usually some little corner of frequency loss that gives it away.

4. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Many things can cause tinnitus and your ENT doctor might be correct. However, I agree with @PaulBe that you should of had a hearing test - but the inflammation in the ear probably meant this wasn't a good idea at this time. As I previously mentioned, doctors don't like to get too involved with tinnitus in the early stages and prefer to leave things alone unless there are additional symptoms: Balance problems, dizziness, deafness or continuous pain in the ears. The best treatment is to leave tinnitus alone in the early stages.

Michael