Doctors for Hyperacusis/Dysacusis/Noxacusis in the Boston Area?

Discussion in 'Support' started by weab00, Sep 13, 2020.

1. weab00
      Gloomy

weab00 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      some good mf music
      I need to see a doctor for my hyperacusis, sound distortions, and stabs of pain, in the Boston area but am not sure where to go. The last audiologist (for tinnitus) I went to gave me a basic audiogram, checked for wax buildup, and told me to live with my tinnitus (offered some sort of habituation therapy).

I don’t want to take my chances with an audiologist that may or may not even know what hyperacusis is (like so many other peoples’ experiences with PTPs, audiologists, and ENTs), and I am trying to get an advanced audiogram, LDL (Loudness Discomfort Level), and maybe discuss sound therapy.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? Hospitals, doctors, clinics, etc.

2. serendipity1996
      No Mood

serendipity1996 Member Podcast Patron Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2011 - T, 2016- H, relapsed 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise-induced
      I'm not a resident in the US so can't recommend specific audiologists. However, I do know that Professor Charles Liberman of Harvard/Mass Eye and Ear is one of the leading scientists on hyperacusis, hidden hearing loss and tinnitus. His colleague Sharon Kujawa, with whom he has collaborated on research, is also a clinical audiologist. So perhaps someone at Mass Eye and Ear would be your best bet?

I also know that Hyperacusis Research, founded by Bryan Pollard is based near Boston.

• Helpful Helpful x 1