Does a Glass of Wine Improve or Make Tinnitus Worse or Neither?

Discussion in 'Support' started by JasonP, Feb 27, 2016.

1. JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      I haven't drank alcohol since getting tinnitus and before I didn't drink much at all (I thought it wasn't worth the expense). I was wondering if a glass of wine helps or a small amount of alcohol. I do not believe in drinking a lot. However, I wanted to get people's experiences either short or long term effects.

2. NathanielDaniel
      Arsey

NathanielDaniel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Noises
      I forget I even have it, but then again I've only had tinnitus for 20 days

• Like Like x 1
    3. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      A glass or two can be relaxing .........lots of love glynis

4. Boy Helios

Boy Helios Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Went binge drinking yest. tinnitus completely disappeared when I was drinking and appears to be a bit better today.

I also went to the club which didn't make my tinnitus worse.

5. Natalie Roberts
      Haunting

Natalie Roberts Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Pregnancy or mild hearing loss.. Who knows.
      Whenever I drink beer or wine I notice my tinnitus higher for an hour or two after drinking then it goes back to normal after a good nights sleep. However, it doesn't bother me enough to where I wouldn't drink. ;)

• Like Like x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    6. James
      No Mood

James Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Pulsing 03/2013
      Hello @JasonP

My wife sure loves a glass of merlot. I like to drink a good beer.
      I think it helps short term, in moderation. Don't forget to get a good nights sleep to recover.

7. volsung37

volsung37 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      I find wine is about the only way I can get to sleep now! My tinnitus is multi-tonal and changes pitch so I have not been able to sleep naturally for some time.
      If I take 2 large glasses of red wine before bed I will generally be out like a light within the hour. I will usually sleep a good 4 or 5 hrs before waking. The strange thing is the T is usually v low or non-existent for 2 or 3 hrs after this and I can often get back to sleep for another hour or so. I find it is important not to drink enough that I would have a hang-over. This would make T almost unbearable the next day.
      The wine must have some inhibitory effect on how I perceive the tinnitus in the same way some benzos affect others.

8. Pumpkinate
      Alone

Pumpkinate Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      It makes no difference to my tinnitus.

9. Marie79

Marie79 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/1/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      I'm not sure if it makes the actual sound better or worse but it makes me feel a whole lot better and brings down my anxiety a lot but it is not a "healthy" coping mechanism although that is what I am utilizing right now at night.

• Agree Agree x 1
    10. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:

11. Nick Pyzik
      Depressed

Nick Pyzik Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/23/15
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Listening to in-ear headphones & playing in a band
      Studies have shown that a glass of wine every few days is very good for your brain and body. The reason so is not because of the actual wine but a compound included in it called Resveratrol. Resveratrol is known to be beneficial for the flow of blood in your body, for reducing oxidative stress, and also blocks production of inflammatory agents. I would actually recommend supplementing with this compound instead of relying on wine to help reduce your levels of stress and bring up your overall well-being.

12. John G

John G Member

It's weird. When I have beer , it lowers my T, but when I drink wine , T goes up a level or two. Wine..never again

• Like Like x 1
    13. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      I find a glass of wine makes my tinnitus lower -- probably because of its short-term calming effect on the nervous system. People react differently, though, just as they do to drugs, like benzos, that target your brain chemistry and the anxiety response.

However, alcohol in general is a bad -- and ineffective-- sleep aid. While it can help you fall asleep, your sleep patterns become disturbed as your system metabolizes the alcohol. So typically, you are getting poor quality sleep. Plus you usually wake up after three, four hours. I try to not drink alcohol at least three hours prior to my bed time.

http://time.com/3671777/drinking-sleep/

14. Vaba
      Shitfaced

Vaba Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Unknown
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown. Gradual, Progressive
      From experience, I think it helps more than it hurts :beeranimation:

15. DenisFerns

DenisFerns Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Dec, 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxic??Not sure yet
      Strange - my doc always advises against alcohol and I rarely drink. However this XMas I was drinking a glass of wine (Merlot) before each meal and noticed I was sleeping around 5 hours without waking up which hasn't happened since I got T. Something must work - coincidentally I didn't have any last night and went back to waking up every few hours. I don't like taking Lorezapam (which works) but has serious side effects - half a glass of wine never hurt nobody!!

• Agree Agree x 2