Does Anyone Feel Like Tinnitus Make You Almost Bipolar?

Discussion in 'Support' started by SeekIngAlpha, Sep 4, 2016.

1. SeekIngAlpha

SeekIngAlpha Member

Tinnitus Since:
      With tinnitus it's such a rollercoaster of emotions and reactions... it seems almost like a bipolar nightmare.

• Agree Agree x 2
    2. volsung37

volsung37 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      I used to be a pretty serene type of chap until I got T. Now my mood swings can be pretty dramatic dependent upon sleep and loudness.

3. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Actually yes, kind of. I was just thinking yesterday that it's literally driving me crazy. I get these points of being very angry to the point where I don't think I'm thinking rationally. It seems to be directly tied to how bad my tinnitus is at that moment.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    4. JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      I had the same problem...and it got worse when I developed a tolerance/withdrawal for klonopin. Lamictal has helped some, probably better than anything I have ever taken before. I hope my problems are due to benzo withdrawal and not just mood swings.

5. PaulBe

PaulBe Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably sound, though never proven
      It definitely carries my mood and concentration along with its cycles.

6. Owen
      Disappointed

Owen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unclear. Inflammatory allergic reaction/AIED
      I'm exactly the same. Saturday was a really quiet day and I was positive and upbeat, yesterday was not so good and I felt really low and depressed all day. It makes sense to me though. People often feel low, depressed and sorry for themselves when they have a cold, so why wouldn't it be the same when some other medical issue flares up?

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. Lgunal

Lgunal Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/14
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss and Wellbutrin (I believe)
      Yes! I was just thinking this yesterday. I feel like I'm on a constant roller coaster of emotions; mostly the depressive end of the spectrum.

8. Vaba
      Shitfaced

Vaba Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Unknown
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown. Gradual, Progressive
      I was always a laid-back, jaded kind of guy.

I still am. In real life (not on forums) my emotions never come into play when it comes to dealing with almost anything. So, while I'm in pain constantly, and I kind of just want to die, I know that talking about it won't make it hurt less, so I just don't say anything.

Now that I'm writing about it, it's a special kind of hell.

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      You know....I could be somewhat stable with moods as long as I had a way to lower my T. Once that stopped, I had much stronger mood swings.

10. JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      Okay guys I found this chart comparing mood stabilizers. Some work more to prevent mania and some work more to prevent depression according to this chart. I would assume the ones that help prevent mania can be more calming? Anyways, has anyone been on one of these before and would you say it is accurate? (By the way, I am posting the link not the image because there may be copyright issues. If the pic posts, it is not my doing.

http://undepress.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/mood-stabilizers.jpg

11. ridgew

ridgew Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2004->2012->2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      I've got prescribed with a med for bipolar in a ward where my T problems led me to. It helps a lot. I managed to get back to work, and I was able to think straight for first time since I got T. If I don't take my daily dose, my thinking goes back to mess within days.

12. JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      That is great you have something that helps you. What medication do you take? Right now I am on Lamictal, a little klonopin, but am thinking about trying lithium orotate (supplement) to see how that goes.

13. Foncky
      Tired

Foncky Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music. Balloon. Genes.
      No.

Yes.

• Funny Funny x 5
      • Like Like x 1
    14. ridgew

ridgew Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2004->2012->2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      I take Depakine extended release. I take 1000mg in the morning, it's usually enough for a day. I can take another 500mg during evening if I feel too agitated.

15. JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      I thought about taking that too. I feel like I need something anti-manic. I tried Lithium orotate yesterday it seemed to help a lot. I guess I will see what happens. Thanks for letting me know. Are there any side effects?

16. Karl K

Karl K Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/1990
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Fight or flight is constant at the moment and its a battle to keep it under control. Manic over thinking and racing, irrational thoughts. Apart from that it's all gravy.

• Like Like x 1
    17. Scottrock
      Fine

Scottrock Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2 weeks
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Possibly ear infection or loud music
      Yep! For the first time in my life I'm unpredictable with regard to mood swings. My family are fantastic and supportive to date - not 4 weeks yet so it may wear thin on them as well. But doesn't help when everyone else around keeps asking 'what's wrong?' Don't really want to have to explain it to everyone when I'm trying to ignore it! Tough ask!!

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    18. Karl K

Karl K Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/1990
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi Scottrock, I'm exactly the same and its affecting my relationship greatly. I've been told by my wife she simply can't handle my moods. I'm manic then I'm morose, I know I am but it makes one feel lonely doesn't it? I need plenty of loving support from my nearest and dearest but when I feel as though I'm burdening my wife with my problems I try to act "normal" but it just make it worse. I'm not 'me' at the moment,, I don't know where the old Karl's gone, the happy go lucky, laid back kid and when a truck went past me in the street the other day I thought how easy it could be to just step out into its path. It was a very sobering experience. I'm getting there gradually with CBT techniques but its easy to slide back into despair with negative, irrational thoughts. Good luck anyone afflicted with anxiety related to T or hyperacusis.

19. JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      You can sometimes habituate faster if your brain is healthier. Perhaps some fish oil might help.

20. JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      Have you looked into lithium orotate? I wonder if that could help you somewhat.

21. slipware
      Bookworm

slipware Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Not bipolar but certainly the tinnitus and accompanying feeling of hollowness and other hearing related problems certainly determine my day. Some days much better than others. I just think to myself..... tomorrow should be better when it's a very loud, bad day.

22. SilverSpiral
      Sad

SilverSpiral Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ACOUSTIC TRAUMA
      No. Bipolar indicates being happy/manic at times. Not constantly sad for months on end.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1