Does Anyone Have Any Experience with New Members to This "Awful Band"?

Discussion in 'Support' started by glennr, Feb 29, 2016.

1. glennr
      Wishful

glennr Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hello all.

I have had T for about 3 years now and its a very strange ride! For the first couple of years it was mostly in my right ear, but have now centered itself in the head, though i mostly "experiance" it in my right ear. The tone is high pitched and some lower(theres alot of them).

My T has changed atleast once a year for me and usually in my right ear. Though this time after a cold and sinus infection i got some weird lower tone spiking in my left ear, and now a week after my sinuses and cold cleared up i am now stuck with this new tone to the "band" in my left ear..

I do read alot of the success stories which i found alot of comfort in, but seeing that most/ many of the persons who habituate have gotten it stable in a year or so, this actually scares me abit.

Is there anyone here with similar experiance? That have had T for several years? I got used to my high pitched tone, even the spikes. But with different tones in my ears i find it to get difficult again.

I know that noone can predict the future, but i would really appreciate some input from people who have or know somone who have had anything similar? Is there somone who have gotten their T settled after years, or will it most likely keep getting worse since it havent "settled" yet?

Any input would be nice :)

2. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Hi, @glennr,

I've had tinnitus for many years, in my right ear only. When it first began, it took me awhile to acclimate to it, but I finally did, and it didn't bother me. Mine didn't really get any worse, but stayed pretty much the same. Then, five and a half years ago, I took a blood pressure drug which made my T a lot worse. Now, however, I have mostly habituated to the higher level tinnitus, and I'm living my life normally again.

Tinnitus is such a strange condition, and it can change from time to time. There can be a lot of unusual sounds, etc., but in time, most of us do get accustomed to it. I have both T and PT, and I am doing so much better now. And I believe that you will, too! I don't believe that tinnitus keeps getting worse for most people; I think it levels off.

However, if you are really concerned, you could go to a doctor and have a hearing test, to make sure there haven't been any changes in your hearing.

Best wishes,
      Karen

• Like Like x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      glennr
      Wishful

glennr Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      That is very good to hear Karen :) The high pitched sound doesn't bother me much either, as I got used to it..

But this new lower pitched tone in my before quite left ear is really hard to get used to.. And I have also read that the lower pitch tones are the worst:( and it really feels like it:(

In my right ear it started as a low pitched tone and escalated to a high pitched one, is there a possibility that this new low pitched tone in my left ear can do the same?

Anyone out there with high pitched in one ear and low in the other that actually manages to habituate that can share some experience? I don't know.. I'm just realy scared now, and it just don't seem like it ever will be "stable" T :(

• Hug Hug x 1
    4. Fangen
      Moonlighting

Fangen Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2nd, 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma (loud concert for 1h)
      Hello there fellow Scandinavian neighbor :)

My T is worst in my right ear, while my left is more quiet. I still have a high frequent pitch there, but the right one takes over pretty much it all so it almost feel like I don't have T in my left. Sometimes when T gets bad, I can "hear" how the "iiiiii" is just coming from my right side. Rather annoying. I have "only" (feels like a lifetime) had T for 4 months now, it has changed somewhat during these months. Some say it is normal for the T to change at the beginning of onset until it stabilize itself later on. I know it is hard when you get a new pitch, I have noticed that I can get random (sometimes pulsating) T tones when I go to sleep. I was really scared of that in the beginning to be honest. But I think a lot of my issues and new tones are from having a tense neck and shoulders, also I tend to clench my jaw in my sleep. I know I would do it in my sleep every now and then (did it before T), but it usually starts when I am under emotional or external stress. I tried to sleep with my mouth slightly open, this has helped me lower my overall T loudness within these last days (you can find my desperate post from just this weekend). Maybe you are affected my similar causes? Sometimes I think we forget that muscles and jaw are all related to the ear, and especially T suffers might tense up due to the stress over it. I think it is worth to investigate further.

I usually put some pressure on my cheek, you can feel the muscle in the middle. If you feel that it hurts a little or that is is really tense, you probably have a tense jaw, try to massage it and like I mentioned, sleep with your mouth a little opened so that the teeth aren't aligned completely. It's hard to control what you do in your sleep but yeah :) Another tip is (if you cant tell if you have grinded your teeth during night) is to clench your jaw in the morning. If you feel that it feels sore or tense (try to move your teeth while clenched) and you feel that you can feel it in your gum, that is also a sign that you have been putting pressure on your jaw. This is only my advice, it can differ from your T of course. But I didn't really make that connection until I got a really bad spike the other weekend and realized that my jaw was hurting all day and when T calmed down the day after, that it must have been the jaw that was the perpetrator for my bad T on the day before :)

Wishing you the best,
      F.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      glennr
      Wishful

glennr Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hello there neighbor! :)

As you say it is correct that there is quite alot of changes in the beginning. For me the high pitch started very low and got to be much higher the first year, but as time went i got used to it and actually quite comfortable with it since it was only in my right ear.
      There was offcourse other sounds as you mentioned, pulsating and humming etc. But they went all away fairly quick ( like 1.5 year after start), and i ended up with my long time friend mr. High pitched T in my right ear, though it got abit more centered in my head / brain this time.

I do grind my teeth alot i think, but i have never experienced tension, hurt or anything like that. But it could maby be something for me to take a closer look on since im doing it so thank you for mentioning it :)

I do not pay much attention to my "iiiiiiiiii" sound in my head and right ear, but what made me realy unhappy this time was the much "lower" tone in my before "healthy" left ear. This is much deeper and goes abit "eeeeee" ( like way back when the thick tv's had theire test picture with all the colours, that kind of sound). The sound feel much more rounded and is much, much more annoying since its not "up there" above the other sounds, but right in the "center".. im not the best to describe, but maby you get it :)

I do realy realy hope its a sound that came with my sinus infection, and hopefully will be gone as soon as my system heals again.. even though as the weeks go its not always easy to keep my sanity up..

Thank you so much for youre respons Fangen!

6. Fangen
      Moonlighting

Fangen Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2nd, 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma (loud concert for 1h)
      If you recently got the infection it might very well be due to that. Sometimes the infection takes longer to heal in your ears, even if the rest of you feel good again. So don't feel too scared if you feel good and the ears are still "eee"-ing.
      I didn't really feel I had any issues with my jaw either, until I started to massage it and think about a little more. Suddenly I understood why I sometimes could get really annoying headaches (like the one that feels like it's behind your eyes) and any painkillers wouldn't help. It was because of my jaw. So, it is always worth trying to look into. Maybe you'll find pattern that you haven't thought about before. :)

Let me know how you're doing!

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      glennr
      Wishful

glennr Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hello again... Well the new tone in my left ear dident go away sadly :( though it has gone up and down in volume abit and it is now starting to spike again and getting realy loud, just as i thought it would dimminish back to "normal" again. This is realy scary even after 3 years:(