Does Anyone Know the Decibel Levels of Common Everyday Sounds?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Dankmemes, Jun 22, 2018.

1. Dankmemes

Dankmemes Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      To be able to know when to wear ear plugs or not or what to avoid, does anyone know approximately what decibel levels are some everyday sounds? Max volume on a car speaker, lawn mowers, car and motorcycle stock exhausts, wind noise, busy restaurant, iPhone speakers, etc...

2. Seawater7

Seawater7 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5 years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Most daily noises like slamming a car door, someone talking loud, a dog barking close to you, car horns, dishes, lawn mower etc. Don't usually reach above 90db.

Look up niosh noise levels, it will show you the maximum amount of time you can be exposed to these decibles

For me loud noises bug me more , i wouldn't recommend over protecting like i do but diffinetly mowing the lawn, weed waching, loud concerts, or working with machines ear plugs should be worn, otherwise most noise levels are safe for short amounts of time.

Its rare to get hearing damage from a sudden and short loud noise, some of the worst ones include fireworks, balloon's popping, loud car exausts at close range, concerts, and chain saws

On the niosh noise chart here are a few examples .

80db safe for 25 hours

90db 2hr 31min

100db 15 min

110db 1 min 29seconds

And 130-140 1 second or less

These are also charts online that show the noise levels of daily sounds, but you don't have to worry about those sounds.

You might find tinnitus gets louder from noise levels others are fine with
      If not don't over protect, that's how i got hyperacustics .

Sound meters can be bought for your own testing, but it's better to just know when something is loud wear ear plugs, but we can't avoid all loud noises, the world is a loud place.

Best of luck

Don't obsess

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1