Does Cocaine Make Tinnitus Worse?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Mathew Gould, Jun 16, 2019.

1. Mathew Gould

Mathew Gould Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck/Jaw misalignment
      I've never done cocaine nor will I try it, but I was wondering if cocaine makes your tinnitus worse like weed does.

If there are things like cocaine and weed that make your tinnitus worse, then there must be things that make it better pretty quick.

2. annV
      Fine

annV Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown - possibly hereditary
      I think @linearb is an expert on recreational drug use, maybe he knows a thing or two about cocaine and tinnitus?

I'm sorry if I'm mistaken. :LOL:

• Funny Funny x 1
    3. BobDigi
      Kick ass

BobDigi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      I've probably taken cocaine around 5 times since having noise induced tinnitus and it had no effect whatsoever. The following day it was louder, but that's always the case when I'm tired. As far as the cocaine went, no difference.

I don't really go out or drink anymore. But some of my friends do. So on the odd occasion I go out I'm easily influenced to do what I used to do when I was younger. However the last few occasions I've gone out I've not even drunk! Not because of my tinnitus, because I'm older and not into it anymore.

• Like Like x 1
    4. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I think the potential for actual long-term increases, is much higher with cocaine than with cannabis. Smoking anything isn't great for you and THC definitely seems to cause spikes in some people, which in more rare cases can take days to weeks to settle, but it doesn't actually seem toxic in that sense, as far as I can tell from limited clinical data and a lot of anecdotes of questionable value.

Sure, seizure drugs and sedatives are well-known to do this, but they are mostly very habit forming and have significant side effects associated with use and withdrawal.
      I wouldn't say you're mistaken, but even 20 years ago in the heydey of my indulgences, it was more of an academic interest than a desire for much primary research, especially with stuff as notoriously impure and dangerous as coke.

Coke would be pretty high on the list of recreational drugs that I wouldn't touch because of tinnitus (even if it wasn't already there for all these other reasons).

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mathew Gould

Mathew Gould Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck/Jaw misalignment
      Why does it take weeks or days to settle and get out of your system?? I had a can of Coca-Cola on June 8th and June 13th for the first time in probably 2 years and my tinnitus has been annoying me more lately. You're telling me Coca-Cola can affect your tinnitus for weeks or days??

6. linearb
      Psychedelic

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      No, I'm saying that cocaine is neurotoxic, and that strong psychoactive drugs like THC which are fat-soluble can cause neurological changes that persist from hours to days after the body has cleared the drugs.

What does that have to do with Coca Cola? It's probably worse for you physically than THC by some significant margin, but it's not a drug in the same way...

7. Tex

Tex Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure
      I don't know about cocaine, but acid, heroin, and some old Pink Floyd music really distracted me enough to not worry about Tinnitus. (obvious sarcasm) o_O:LOL:

8. linearb
      Psychedelic

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:

• Funny Funny x 4
    9. RaZaH
      Cheeky

RaZaH Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2012/04
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo + loud noise
      Cocaine will dampen your high frequency response while using it at least, that is why 90´s music is so toppy ;)