Does Deanxit (Flupentixol/Melitracen) Help Tinnitus? Share Your Experiences

Discussion in 'Support' started by Tigo, Feb 21, 2017.

1. T Toledo OH

T Toledo OH Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/26/20
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Likely loud noise and earbuds
      I may have asked you before but how much do you take of each of Gabapentin and Klonopin?

2. Damocles
      No Mood

Damocles Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otitis media
      So now Dean wants to leave the EU too, huh?

I can personally say that Britain leaving the EU has not helped my tinnitus, nor has it made it any worse; but what it has done, is change the colour of my passport cover from burgundy to navy.

So something for Dean to think about... ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͠°)

3. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      600 mg of Gabapentin / 2 mg of Klonopin per day.

4. KWC

KWC Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear Infection/TMJ ??
      Around about 4-5% a week. The taper is rough but I am functional.

5. T Toledo OH

T Toledo OH Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/26/20
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Likely loud noise and earbuds
      I am same Gabapentin dosage but 1.5 mg a day Klonopin.

6. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Tomato tomahto. These drugs hit everyone differently. I picked 2 mg because it's what I was on from 1999-2005, no other reason.

7. aura

aura Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @Lurius, have you tried that combination of drugs?

@Chinmoku, when did you start taking Klonopin and why? Was it for your tinnitus? Did it help you at least?

I'm desperate here.

Thinking about scheduling an online consultation with Dr. De Ridder. Things are getting worse for me and very fast.

My doctor (one of my doctors) says that my otologic migraines can affect trigeminal nerve and endolymphatic pressure, killing the hair cells. But this is just a theory.

Now I hear the morse code "eeee" over everything. And it's almost like the external sounds don't sound the same to me, but like a morse code.

Extremely frequent high pitched drill sounds in both of my ears, static sounds... they wake me up every hour.

I can't go on like this.

Thank you!

• Hug Hug x 3
    8. Elroy Fisher

Elroy Fisher Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma & Ototoxic Medication
      @Ben Winders, thanks for sharing your story mate. Prof. Dirk de Ridder is prescribing Deanxit and Rivotril in low doses for me. May I ask if you’re still on these meds, and how you’re doing now?

9. Ben Winders
      Pensive

Ben Winders Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic
      I am not.

My life would probably be easier if I would take Deanxit, but I'm trying to deal with this as sober as I can (the funny part of that statement being that I am drinking about 2 to 3 vodka-cokes per evening. It sort of numbs me a bit).

P.S. The buzzing dropped in half (actual volume, not perception) for about 3 weeks or so, after a flight (I think it was the flight that triggered the drop, still not sure). But after a 3 day car ride to Croatia it came back with a vengeance.

• Informative Informative x 1
    10. Diego LR

Diego LR Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unkown
      Did you visit Dr. Dirk De Ridder?

I visited this week and he prescribed Deanxit, Clonazepam and Clonidine. I will try them. Any feedback about these meds?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    11. Nick47

Nick47 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral/noise
      Not sure what Clonidine is for.

How are you finding Dr. De Ridder's cocktail?

12. Diego LR

Diego LR Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unkown
      It is still early days. This is my 4th day on this combo. I am surprised that there are not many people on this combo.

• Agree Agree x 1
    13. Diego LR

Diego LR Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unkown
      What is your experience with Brai3n? Did you pursue other treatments? How many days did Deanxit take to start working for you?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    14. Nick47

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral/noise
      Hey @Diego LR, thanks for the feedback.

15. Ben Winders
      Pensive

Ben Winders Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic
      Experience with Brai3n: they are a nice, well organized, friendly, professional outfit, but they don't really have any answers either. But at least they are listening and trying to come up with solutions (which again, they don't have for most of our cases).

The doctors there really take a kitchen sink approach. I've been prescribed Deanxit, a few weeks later LDN and some other thing against ear spasms that I forgot the name of. None of them really worked to diminish my tinnitus (the Deanxit worked for the 'not giving as many fcks' part of the equation).

• Like Like x 1
    16. Nick47

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral/noise
      @Elroy Fisher, how have you found Deanxit? Has it helped you?

17. Nick47

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral/noise
      I have been conversing with a gentleman in the UK who takes Flupentixol (Deanxit contains Flupentixol and Melitracen) for another condition.

In his words 0.5 mg reduces his tinnitus by 50-70% 30 minutes after taking it.

I wonder if this is much more successful than we will ever know as it's so hard to obtain as it's rarely prescribed outside of schizophrenia patients.

I've seen about 90% who have taken it get relief, in many cases substantially lower tinnitus volume.

It seems mainly to be Flupentixol that helps here.

There are the side effect issues for some...

• Like Like x 1
    18. Lthms
      Alone

Lthms Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
      I had tinnitus two years ago and the doctor prescribed Deanxit. For me it did wonders. In two weeks time I habituated to the tinnitus and it was like I never had it.

The problem is I was so scared to get it back that I never stopped with the Deanxit. Now two years later I had a new sudden tinnitus spike and now I can't take it again because I am already on it... I feel sad and scared and I have no idea what to do now.

@Ben Winders, it seems you are also from Belgium and the Deanxit helped you. But you were able to stop. How is your situation now a year and a half later?

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    19. ajc

ajc Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2002; spike 2009; worse 2017-18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music - noise damage
      Who prescribed you Deanxit? I know Dr. De Ridder prescribes it often. Do many doctors in Belgium prescribe it for tinnitus? What is the success rate?

20. Lthms
      Alone

Lthms Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
      My local physician described it to me.

I don't know the general success rate, but at the time I was so distressed I was willing to try everything.

21. Nick47

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral/noise
      Hello. If you have had a spike a few weeks ago, chill, it will settle. Avoid loud noise and the wearing of headphones and earbuds.

Can I ask if you had any side effects from Deanxit?

22. Nick47

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral/noise
      I've been prescribed Deanxit. Does anyone know how I can use the prescription to buy it in the UK?

23. ajc

ajc Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2002; spike 2009; worse 2017-18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music - noise damage
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    24. Nick47

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral/noise
      @Ben Winders, it wasn't Cyclobenzaprine, was it?

25. Nick47

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral/noise
      I'm in this situation now. I was prescribed Deanxit, Aripiprazole and Clonazepam +/- LDN. I was told it's ALWAYS a cocktail of low doses.

My GP would not honour the prescription so I need to see psychiatrist.

I was talking to someone from Belgium who has suggested pharmacies there. It's a Belgium prescription, just a case of if they will ship to the UK.

I was suggested this:

https://www.apotheekthiels.be/producten/deanxit-10-mg-filmomh-tabl-30-x-10-mg-0-5-mg

It's dirt cheap.

26. Nick47

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral/noise
      So long story short. I was prescribed some tinnitus medications in February by Dr. De Ridder. Amongst them was Deanxit. My GP refused to honour the prescription, however a friend from Belgium sent me a 10 day supply. I took them for 2 days to monitor for side effects. The only side effect I experienced was mild sedation for an hour. In terms of effect, they reduced my stress quite a bit and seemed to make the tinnitus slightly lower and less intense. When my tinnitus is debilitating, I cannot enjoy a walk or focus on the pleasant sights as I am sucked into the wall of screeching. On the Deanxit I was focusing more on what I could see. I stopped Mirtazapine for a couple of days (due to uncertainty of an interaction) to trial Deanxit out. I can't give a longer term update at the moment until I see my psychiatrist. Upshot is it seemed to do something useful.

Onto the controversy.

Deanxit is Melitracen and Flupentixol. Both are very low doses. Don't be put off by Flupentixol being an antipsychotic. Many medications have different effects depending on dosage. At 0.5 mg it is not an antipsychotic and has antidepressant and anti-anxiety effects. Melitracen is a TCA similar to Doxepin or Amitriptyline at low dose.

You will also read a lot of nonsense on Deanxit being BANNED in several countries. This is not true and the correct terminology is "not licensed due to the unknown exact MoA of Melitracen."

It's also cheap with no patents, so given big pharma's modus operandi, it may have no push and lots of demonisation.

I was told it only works well for people whose tinnitus is dominantly present most of the day. Basically external stimuli activates D2 receptors. When the external stimulus becomes strong, then D1 is activated and they only zoom in on the strongest stimulus, which for severe sufferers is the tinnitus.

• Informative Informative x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    27. Nick47

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral/noise
      @grate_biff, some questions young man on Flupentixol. I have Deanxit on the way. I know you have not taken Deanxit but have taken Flupentixol.

1) Did you experience side effects?
      2) Did you take Clonazepam or another benzo as suggested with it to reduce side effects?
      3) How long after taking it did you notice a reduction in intensity?

Someone not far from me in the UK was prescribed Flupentixol for his tinnitus. He took 1 mg daily before tapering down after several years. He said it reduced the intensity of his tinnitus by about 70% after 30 minutes. Sounds too good to be true.

The twitches, akathesia and tardive dyskinesia worry me, but it seems most people taking Deanxit do not use Clonazepam.

28. Ant_BXL

Ant_BXL Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2023
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Club visit/loud music
      Hi @Ben Winders, do you still take Deanxit from time to time? I was prescribed it by Dr. De Ridder but I am scared of the tardive dyskinesia side effect as it is irreversible.

Were you also taking Clonazepam every day when taking Deanxit?

I also have Flunazirine with Catapressan but am unsure if that is any safer.

29. Nick47

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral/noise
      I will answer your question that you posted on the Metformin thread here.

Yes, I have had some success with Deanxit, Aripiprazole and Clonazepam. I only take a low-maintenance dose for a couple of days when I'm really struggling, though.