Does Everyone Have Somatic Beeping in Extreme Movements of the Head or Jaw?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Tinniger, May 22, 2018.

1. Tinniger

Tinniger Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Uncertain, now very somatic, started with noise?
      In a discussion among tinnitus sufferers, I reported my somatic symptoms and the very loud beeping in my ear (only left!) that I have with movement or pressure from certain parts of my head. And the idea that the fluctuating permanent tinnitus could have something to do with it.

Thereupon some participants reported that they had always had this, and e.g. the bite impression at the dentist produced a loud beep, or the extreme pushing the jaw sideways likewise.

And said it was perfectly normal and had nothing to do with their current tinnitus.

What do you mean?

• Like Like x 1
    2. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      Before I had tinnitus if I yawned as loud as I could I would hear an extremely faint tonal noise.

Now if I do it i'll here a much louder tonal screech

I'm confident before tinnitus I never heard tonal noises while moving my neck or jaw. I think it has something to do with the neurons of the neck jaw and face muscles being shared with the auditory nerve.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. kelpiemsp
      Swamped

kelpiemsp Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      birth/ recent spike 2/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Born with ETD, several acoustic traumas, most recently ETD
      With the yawning example, it's common to block the Eustachian tube and create negative ear pressure which could cause your temporary T. This happens in people without T.

4. john paul
      English

john paul Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/11/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      Id like to know about this as well, i have noise induced T but clenching my jaw, yawning etc does nothing to it. With ear muffs on it just makes me hear like a wind in ears type sound, but nothing to the T. From what i gather most peoples T will increase with jaw movements.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Tinniger

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      This would mean that the noise trauma has led to hypersensitivity of the hearing system, which is so pronounced that mechanical influences also affect the hearing system.
      Have I made myself clear?
      Any other opinions?

6. kelpiemsp
      Swamped

kelpiemsp Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      birth/ recent spike 2/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Born with ETD, several acoustic traumas, most recently ETD
      Noise trauma really has nothing to do with it. T is in the brain. Sure noise trauma causes a lot of it, but for a significant majority of us, it has nothing to do with noise or the hearing system. Instead it is the somatasensory input from other nerves that is being misinterpreted.

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Tinniger

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      What nerves might those be?
      I believe that the triggering stimulus is already processed into a sound in the hearing system - and not only in the brain.
      Example: When I turn my head to the right in a special way, I hear a rather loud beep on the left, which is very similar to my fluctuating permanent tinnitus. Which structures are irritated?