Does Hyperacusis Cause You to Feel Like You Can’t Hear That Well?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Mila9828, Oct 23, 2019.

1. Mila9828

Mila9828 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accident/Screaming?
      Hey everyone,

I developed hyperacusis 7 days ago from a hearing exam.

Since then I feel like I can’t hear that well although my hearing is “normal”. It’s not that I can’t hear, things are all just slightly quieter. I’m not sure if the tympani muscle is stuck in my ear (I don’t have any spasms), but my ears are constantly in pain.

I’m scared that I’m losing my hearing. The most noticeable thing is when I’m in the car and the music is playing - when I whisper I can barely hear myself. Things in general sound dull across all frequencies.

Has anyone else had this? Is this possibly acoustic shock from hyperacusis and will my hearing return back to its clarity? I’m so tired of everything; I want to protect my ears from noise but if I do I risk developing even more severe hyperacusis. If I expose myself to noise though I feel like I’m going to lose my hearing.

2. arctic loon
      Dreaming

arctic loon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud music
      By protecting your hearing you won't be risking making hyperacusis worse! It's actually the opposite :)

3. MSF

MSF Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music events/drums
      After acoustick shock events, I often have the perception that I don't hear as well (maybe a bit more in the high frequency range) but this is relatively temporary (a few days?) What you're describing sounds more serious--what did they do in the hearing exam that caused it (and isn't it vicious irony that it was an ENT who did this but also probably can't help you/doesn't know what hyperacusis is? :/)

Also, you wouldn't get the shock from hyperacusis, as you put it, but it you could get hyperacusis from acoustic shock.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mila9828

Mila9828 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accident/Screaming?
      Hi! The best way to describe it is I can hear but everything is just dull if that makes sense? And quieter. But it’s been this way for a while now. It’s like things aren’t clear or crisp if that makes sense?

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mila9828

Mila9828 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accident/Screaming?
      My ears constantly feel full btw, kind of like I have cotton in my ears, in the middle of the night I wake up and try to get cotton out only to find out that there’s nothing there

6. MRItechssuck
      Disappointed

MRItechssuck Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Severe 10/17/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise, MRI
      Was the hearing test loud? With loud noises there can be a temporary threshold shift in the normal hearing. I hope that’s what you have, and that is usually temporary...

Stay away from music and noise for a week...

7. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      That's the usual reaction. It's a defensive mechanism of the hearing system. In a week or two you are going to hear crisp and clear again. Your hyperacusis is very recent, just a matter of days. Use proper hearing protection, good foam earplugs (not cotton) and good earmuffs when you are outside home. Try to have background sound at home. Use white noise.

Actually it is better that your hearing does not "open up" again inmediately. It is protecting itself. Once you hear clear again try to be very careful the first few days, because your hearing will be more sensitive and fragile than usual. It takes time to get back to baseline and find a balance.

I read that your problem was triggered by a sound test carried out on an app called Mimi. I dont know that particular test or the app, but in principle if it is an app and sound through earplugs for a brief time I doubt very much that this can make lasting damage.

The kind of sounds that produce lasting damage are very loud sounds, and this you would feel literally vibrating through your body, like an explosion, a fighter jet passing over, a gunshot, stuff like that, or very loud music, concerts, discos etc.. Those are the most quoted causes in medical literature.

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mila9828

Mila9828 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accident/Screaming?
      It’s been pretty consistent for 2 months in total... while it is going away I’m still struggling as things sound slightly muffled. It is improving though so I guess it’s just a matter of time. I read marceline had these problems for over 3 months after acoustic shock from her hyperacusis. Just hoping this goes away.

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mila9828

Mila9828 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accident/Screaming?
      Best way to describe it is it feels like something is “blocking” my ear from hearing loud/clear. The vibrations of sound are something I can’t feel anymore. I can understand everything well I just can’t feel the sounds anymore. So very dull.

10. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      Yeah, those are the usual symptoms of hyperacusis. It may have to do with the middle ear muscles and also with damage to haircells or neural synapsis.

11. Jan124

Jan124 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      Does hyperacusis cause constant pain?
      Because mine is constant.

12. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      It can. Usually pain derives from noise exposure and stays for like 4 - 6 weeks after a bad setback, and then there is like dull pressure or pain than comes on and off, sometimes is sound related, sometimes is there for no reason, or maybe related to brain activity, cramps, neck pain etc