Does Hyperacusis Sometimes Cause Certain Frequencies to Howl?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Pink Noise, Jan 15, 2020.

1. Pink Noise
      Artistic

Pink Noise Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably headphones (Overear) coupled with age (sigh)
      Hi guys,

Does hyperacusis sometimes cause certain frequencies to howl? It sounds like someone is whistling faintly in my left ear, oscillating between 2 frequencies.

I have had the Xmas cold on my chest for a few weeks. Wondering if it has something to do with that? :sick::inpain:

2. Yuuls
      Dreaming

Yuuls Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I’m not officially diagnosed with hyperacusis but I believe I have it.

I also hear a whistling/howling tune over certain sounds - mostly white noise such as a fan, shower, distant traffic, etc.

The voices on my TV also sound a bit weird. Not distorted, I can hear the words fine, but there’s a weird electronic spark sound at the end of everyone’s words.

With certain frequencies the ending of each sound or note (in music) sounds like someone’s flicking a wine glass, almost like a weird ping.

• Hug Hug x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Pink Noise
      Artistic

Pink Noise Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably headphones (Overear) coupled with age (sigh)
      Thanks for your response on this. I 'm hoping it will all settle down as I'm 4 months into this nightmare. I have had a cold over Xmas. I was wondering if that had/has a part to play in this. Just hope that it's temporary.

4. vermillion
      Whistles

vermillion Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fluconazole
      I have this thing intensily.
      Yea I think it's hyperacusis.

• Hug Hug x 1
    5. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      I think that sounds more like reactive tinnitus...

6. Capstan

Capstan Guest

I'm experiencing the same thing too. Some days worse than others. Not sure about the reason. Hoping it will settle down for longer periods.

7. Azakare

Azakare Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2012 (left ear) 01/2019 (right ear)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      I had this during my first 2 weeks in my right ear. A weird brief whistling noise at the start or shortly after hearing certain speech frequencies.
      After those 2 weeks it subsided. Nowadays it "settled" to mild distortion, with others' voices seem slightly amplified/raspy around 250Hz - 300Hz (along with the occasional random burn/sting pain independent of sound exposure).

• Hug Hug x 1
    8. GoatSheep

GoatSheep Guest

Yes my left ear will whistle if I listen to music sometimes. Usually after about 4-5 songs. When that happens I stop listening.