Does Masking Make the Tinnitus Worse?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Vikram, Apr 3, 2015.

1. Vikram
      Curious

Vikram Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      I have had T for about 5 weeks now and used a masking device just a couple of times. I also presently dont have symptoms of H. Does masking the T make it worse? I am afraid to use it more if that is the case. Can someone please throw some light?

2. Kaelon
      Wishful

Kaelon Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Muscle Spasms
      Hi @Vikram,

First, I'm so sorry you're starting to go through this awful journey that so many of us here have been through. If it's any consolation, the first 8-10 weeks are generally the worst among the vast majority of Tinnitus suffers, and most cases of Tinnitus tend to resolve themselves over time.

Secondly, a few questions:
      1. Do you know what caused your Tinnitus? Has this been confirmed by diagnosis?
      2. Have you ever had hyperacusis in the past 5 weeks since you acquired Tinnitus?
      3. Is this the first time in your life that you can recall that you've had constant tinnitus lasting more than 3 days?
      4. How are you using the masking right now?
      Generally speaking, provided that the volume of your masking sounds does not exceed tolerable levels to prevent damage to your hearing, using masking sounds should not worsen Tinnitus nor should they "cause" or worsen hyperacusis by virtue of the fact that you are using masking sounds. If anything, the same neurological process that enables people to use acoustic coordinated reset neuromodulation ("ACRN") therapies to overcome their tinnitus is also the same neurological process that works on us during masking: the sound of tinnitus is being overridden (and in many cases, actually stopped) by the neural pathways that are working to process real sounds that exceed the neural signals that are misfiring when Tinnitus is active.

So generally, masking should help - not hinder - your tinnitus.

3. LifesABeach
      Depressed

LifesABeach Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2006
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Wish I knew
      As Kaelon notes, it depends on how you are using the maskers. If used appropriately, they should help.

Take a peek at this article from the ATA (written by Dr. Nagler, one of the leading lights on our little site here): http://www.ata.org/sites/ata.org/files/pdf/masking_new_millenium_nagler_sept_00.pdf. And if you haven't already done so, take some time to check out the ATA website in some detail. There's lots of good info there for those who are new to the perils so tinnitus.

Here's to hoping you can get a handle on your tinnitus soon. It's hard, but it's not impossible.

4. ruben ruiz

ruben ruiz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I believe it was meds and stress
      Im not sure, but I read some where about the onset of Tinnitus. That during the early stage of T you can possibly use steroids with better results. If you wait to long the youll lose the window! I would check this out!
      My best.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Vikram
      Curious

Vikram Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      Thanks for the support @Kaelon and @LifesABeach ! To answer the question:
      1. Do you know what caused your Tinnitus? Has this been confirmed by diagnosis?
        • No freakin idea! I dont listen to music at high volume. I hate using headphones! I had an appointment with an ENT a week ago. My hearing test came normal. He just prescribed me some sleep aid. I have not taken any as I have not has difficulty falling asleep.
      2. Have you ever had hyperacusis in the past 5 weeks since you acquired Tinnitus?
        • No
      3. Is this the first time in your life that you can recall that you've had constant tinnitus lasting more than 3 days?
        • I just recall having had trouble falling asleep due to a sound in the ear about 7 years back. But it was only for a day or two.
      4. How are you using the masking right now?
        • Listening to the sound of rain drops at a low volume.(Ironically using ear phone after a long time)

6. Matt01

Matt01 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      28/11/14
      I don't mask at all at night, and I feel I am getting better. Four months in.