Does Neosporin (Neomycin) Ointment Over Blister and Cuts — Does It Make Tinnitus Worse?

Does Neosporin (Neomycin) ointment over blister and cuts make tinnitus worse?

• Yes

Votes: 4 40.0%
  • No

Votes: 6 60.0%

• Total voters

Rafroki

Author
Apr 10, 2018
Tinnitus Since
Cause of Tinnitus
Loud Music
Hello Everyone,

I had a small regular spider bite and I was wondering if I use Neosporin (Neomycin) over the opening which is small would cause permanent hearing loss and worsening of tinnitus? Should I avoid it? Or using it on the wounds would be ok?

I also had the same question for Hydrocortisone 1%, if it has the same effect and is bad for you.

Please let me know.

Thank you in advance!

Unless you are applying it directly to the inside of your cochlea the answer is absolutely not.

Nope. There are at least a few cases of people getting hearing loss and tinnitus from topical neomycin. Generally, that is ftom using a lot of it. But for example, a man got tinnitus from using neosporin on his bleeding knuckles.

Like I said though, it probably won't do anything in a small area applied for less than a week. But why take that risk when you can get risk-free bacitracin for just a few bucks and does the same thing?

Throw out the neosporin. Get bacitracin.

I wouldn't apply it anywhere near the ear. If you use it, make sure to wash your hands afterwards (before touching your ears or earplugs you are about to insert into your ear).

Nope. There are at least a few cases of people getting hearing loss and tinnitus from topical neomycin. Generally, that is ftom using a lot of it. But for example, a man got tinnitus from using neosporin on his bleeding knuckles.

Like I said though, it probably won't do anything in a small area applied for less than a week. But why take that risk when you can get risk-free bacitracin for just a few bucks and does the same thing?

Throw out the neosporin. Get bacitracin.

What about Obstetrical Antiseptic Towelette?

Obstetrical Antiseptic Towelette
I have been using hand sanitizer a lot, and haven't had any problems. Having said this, I also try to keep my hands away from my ears or earplugs after I use that. Don't panic, just consider doing that in the future.

I have been using hand sanitizer a lot, and haven't had any problems. Having said this, I also try to keep my hands away from my ears or earplugs after I use that. Don't panic, just consider doing that in the future.
Hand sanitizer that has dried on the hands does not damage the hearing if you touch your ears.

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now