Does Tinnitus Usually Go Away?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Potter, Oct 10, 2017.

1. Holly1987

Holly1987 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      After 2 months I've accepted mine is likely here to stay and have began therapy. If it goes away of course that will be amazing however sitting around waiting is torture, I figure I might as well begin the journey of acceptance.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    2. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Yes. That is my understanding as well. Nerve damage. I had a neurotologist explain it to me in much more detail a while back.

3. Paul13
      Nerdy

Paul13 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I believe more that is a failure of our brain/ear to close the path of certain frequency that creates the tinnitus, I will not bet on nerve damage. In other words our natural noise gates doesn't function properly and you can hear it what normally you won't.

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. Mathew Gould

Mathew Gould Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck/Jaw misalignment
      Can T from a misaligned jaw just go away on its own?? I've had T now for 4 months, its reactive T in both ears... I went and seen the dentist and they gave me a splint to wear mostly at night. My question is I still have T and I've been wearing the splint for 2 months. Even if my jaw isn't perfectly realigned can the T still go away??

5. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      @Mathew Gould It could, but if not - your T could be greatly reduced. What that will depend on is not having other problems such as with your neck.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    6. threefirefour
      Peeping tom

threefirefour Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      Has it improved at all? If so maybe. I have tinnitus at least heavily influenced by my misaligned jaw and it's never improved as time progressed and my jaw became worse.

7. threefirefour
      Peeping tom

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      I agree here too. I can heavily reduce my tinnitus by pressing on the sides of my neck, but it becomes pulsatile. I don't know if it's really significant though.

• Informative Informative x 1
    8. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      where on the neck?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    9. threefirefour
      Peeping tom

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      The sides, right below my ears. All up that side, mostly directly at latitude with my adam's apple.

• Informative Informative x 1
    10. XiviaN

XiviaN Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unsure, possibly headphone use.
      Just to add to this, my father has fairly severe hearing loss in both ears and when I asked whether he hears any noise like hissing or ringing sounds in his ear he says he doesn't hear anything and that's it's just muffled and quiet when he doesn't have his hearing aids in.

• Like Like x 2
    11. Mathew Gould

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck/Jaw misalignment
      My neck has definetly gotten better. I can still tell my jaw isn't 100% right, more like 85% and there is a weekness it my jaw.

• Agree Agree x 1
    12. Mathew Gould

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck/Jaw misalignment

Yeah my jaw has improved greatly from the worst it was when I first got my splint. I never had full fledged TMJ, it was more of the TMD or discomfort one... I have the buzzing probably 90-95% of the time, alcohol and caffeine makes it worse. I can tell everything is still not aligned like it was before all of this happened... How long does it take wearing the splint to correct everything if correctable??

13. Mathew Gould

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck/Jaw misalignment
      But my splint has been tightened like 3 times and it is pretty tight already... At this point the splint can only be tightened very little on the left side. I have had the splint now for over 2 months, prob gonna give it a few more months then if the buzzing hasn't went away I will get the left side of the splint tightened a little.

14. threefirefour
      Peeping tom

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      Perhaps you should consider a chiropractor. It may have gotten out of line because of a neck problem in the first place. My neck is pretty misaligned with my jaw too. Neck definitely plays a big role in TMJ and Tinnitus.

15. Greg Sacramento

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Mathew Gould Was there neck soreness before the jaw problem or the opposite? Jaw problems can cause neck problems, but way more often the neck causes jaw problems. If the neck soreness started first, was it caused by muscle trauma, lifting, bending head forward within some activity - head forward posture? The C1 vertebrate connects to the occlusal plane.

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/thread...ease-after-my-jaw-is-fixed.24036/#post-285637

I don't think that you should be alarmed, because it seems that your physical problems are in correction. Your T should fade away completely.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    16. Mathew Gould

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck/Jaw misalignment
      I did before I got my splint and my neck wouldn't even crack. Now its moving a little better and I can crack it myself from time to time.

17. Mathew Gould

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck/Jaw misalignment
      I'm not sure what came first if I had to guess I would say the jaw issues came first... My neck is much better now, at first was like almost popping out of place, now it feels much stronger... My neck has been pretty weak now for years, the jaw issues started about 5 months ago and at that time the neck got way worse. I know they are both the problem and are corrulated.

18. dpdx
      Disappointed

dpdx Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Onset:09/23/2017 Worsened: 1/17/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma, worsened by caloric test/VEMP test 90db nhL
      It dosent go away, if you maybe lucky it will go away! Damage has been done and Tinnitus is now a part of you.

19. Mathew Gould

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck/Jaw misalignment
      What therapy have u begun?

20. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Most likely - TRT

21. Mathew Gould

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck/Jaw misalignment
      Did u ever get a splint??? I'm wondering if my jaw/neck never gets back to perfect if my T will go away??? How long doesn it take for a splint to usually correct the T?

22. threefirefour
      Peeping tom

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      No but I'm going to very soon. Will update.

23. Greg Sacramento

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Mathew Gould A misaligned jaw most always includes distortion of the C1 / C2. This is where the head joins the neck. This is why your neck was cracking. Besides using a mouth piece, correct posture is important. Not to bend forward improperly is important, as that can also weaken your chin. A mouth piece should make a very big difference, but correct body posture and neck posture is also important.

• Informative Informative x 2
    24. Mathew Gould

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck/Jaw misalignment

I don't think my splint is gonna be adjusted anymore, it could be a little on the left side. I've had the splint for 10 weeks now, how long does it usually take to correct the issue where the T goes away if it does?? The first time I got the splint the ear buzzing went away totally for a few days, then the splint became loose again and the buzzing came back.

25. Greg Sacramento

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Mathew Gould Gould It will probably take several more months and your T should fade away. Just be kind to your neck and don't bend it over a keyboard for hours at a time, day in and out. Relax and do some fun stuff.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    26. Niel S.
      Badass

Niel S. Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Do your jaws or ears sometimes hurt after wearing the headphones? Personally i have used headphones for sometimes up to 8 hours a day. I think excessive headphone usage can cause TMJ because it puts pressure on your jaw.