Does Your Tinnitus Make It Hard for You to Hear Things?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Cassidy, Mar 26, 2014.

1. Cassidy
      Wishful

Cassidy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress Overdrive
      Hi all,

I'm new to the forums so apologies that I am starting off with a question (hopefully I will write an Introduction post soon) but there is something about my tinnitus that is really bothering me lately. I have had a high pitched screeching sound in my right ear only which started 3 years ago, but then I managed to habituate to it for 2 years. Unfortunately probably due to the stress at work it has come back and is quite loud and I am kind of back in the same position I was 3 years ago (on top of that my left ear starting ringing as well in a different tone). Trying to manage but it is quite hard at the moment, having to go into work every single day and pretend everything is fine.

My question is, for people with normal audiograms/hearing, can your tinnitus get so loud that it interferes with your ability to hear others? I don't quite understand how this is possible... I'm starting to panic by looking at the volume levels of my TV, from day to day, looking to see whether I need to hear what is on my TV louder than in the day before. Ugh.... this thing is so tiring... Would greatly appreciate anyone who is dealing with this type of tinnitus, how they are handling it / whether it is just a temporary thing etc....

-Cass

2. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      I have also wondered about this question! Can tinnitus get so loud that it interferes with hearing, while having no hearing loss on an audiogram...

3. attheedgeofscience
      No Mood

attheedgeofscience Member Podcast Patron Mighty Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Resolved since 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown (medication, head injury)
      Using only a few words: yes, it can.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Cassidy
      Wishful

Cassidy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress Overdrive
      Hey attheedge,

How about using more than a few words :D ?

Is this something that you personally experience as well? Do you have such loud tinnitus all the time or does it fluctuate?

And maybe, when it does get so loud, is there anything you have found that helps to deal with such intrusive tinnitus?

Thanks a lot for any input :)

5. attheedgeofscience
      No Mood

attheedgeofscience Member Podcast Patron Mighty Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Resolved since 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown (medication, head injury)
      There are at least two dimensions to the sound of tinnitus: loudness and maskability. It is possible to have tinnitus which is not particularly loud, but which can nonetheless always be heard (or "felt") in the background - regardless of background noise levels. My tinnitus situation is different from that of most people. I have had tinnitus since birth/childhood, and when that happens, "noise in the ear" is recognized as normal. Even though the tinnitus in my right ear is quite noticeable/loud - especially at night time, I don't really hear it. I believe this is the kind of habituation which is only possible when "something" is experienced since birth. So while 100% habituation is possible, it most often does not happen - I believe. Which is why I am not a huge fan of TRT...

EDIT:

I should add that, I think (natural) habituation is definitely possible with mild tinnitus.

• Informative Informative x 1
    6. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      Very interesting answer, but is there evidence that strictly tinnitus volume can make hearing difficult. This terrifies me.
      In any case I have not heard anybody testify from their own experience, unless they have some significant hearing loss in addition to tinnitus...

7. Valentin

Valentin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      17/08/2013
      if your tinnitus is made of multiple tones in speech range, it might have a small effect on your ability to understand others but nothing serious.

8. Linds
      Balanced

Linds Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2013
      I have intrusive and constant t and I believe I have habituated. I don't feel it has inhibited the way I hear, I do however have some hearing lose in my left ear, I do believe that has made hearing some sounds harder to hear. Just my personal experience.