Dogs and Their Barking

Discussion in 'Support' started by iAzra, May 29, 2014.

1. squeek

squeek Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise impact/maybe seaborn
      You can buy dog silencing devices that emit ultrasonic sounds to neighbouring dogs. If I had dogs neighbouring me I certainly would give it a try.

• Agree Agree x 1
    2. LeQuack
      Gloomy

LeQuack Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad luck and bad genes
      This week the bosses are on vacation so it's been quiet in the office again after a while. I fear what the next week will bring though, nothing good I assume.

But today was still a bad dog day for me, I had two loud dog encounters unfortunately. First one there was a woman walking three small dogs and and I was nearby on a bike, but not moving as I was enjoying the view. And then another dog came by and those three little dogs started barking all at once in a very high pitch, similar to our office dog, but three times more annoying and all of them barking at once it seemed so loud. I quickly cycled away but some damage might have already been done.

And after that while having some coffee trying to get the first dogs out of my mind there was this guy walking two dogs and they started play fighting and of course barking as well. And they went on and on until I told my friend we should go.

I just had to vent, man I'm so angry. I am having a bad T week anyway and these dogs have now made it even worse. Those are some 100+ dB exposures that I don't need in my life.

3. LeQuack
      Gloomy

LeQuack Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad luck and bad genes
      I am now convinced that small dogs are probably more dangerous for hearing damage than larger dogs. They all seem to bark much louder and with a high pitch, that is more damaging to the ear.

This morning unfortunately I still have a spike in my left ear that I know wasn't there before the dog bark assault of yesterday. Fuck this shit.

4. shasta0863

shasta0863 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2007
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      Wouldn't that be dangerous? It's why I haven't done it. Ultrasonic means sounds at a level you can't hear, but you're getting hit by it. These products emit, 110 and even 120db. The thought of being hit by that and not knowing, scary thought.

5. Tweaker
      Transparent

Tweaker Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      I was round at a friends house today and their dog barked loudly in the room every time the door bell rang. It drove me mad and made my tinnitus and anxiety bad. I hope things settle down but people either don't understand or care that these things can set a T sufferer back. I felt annoyed now that I have to suffer even worse T and nerves unsettled. It had been ages since I had had a better day and today I was doing better until this incident. Arrrrgh!

6. MrBonk

MrBonk Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ETD/Insane sinus congestion/TMJ/mold allergy/dog bark??????
      About 2-3 foot away. This was my 11lb Shih tzu tonight,
      https://goo.gl/photos/E9RsXzDGZrAqMGqK8

I found a way to trigger her barking on command, she has these sort of woven bone hide chews. If I take one and rub it with my hands as if I am chewing on it, she instantly goes on the offensive because i'm chewing what's hers or something it's funny.

But not all that comfortable for my ears.

7. Venusa
      Pensive

Venusa Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Our neighbors have the YAPPIEST dog. It will bark for 30+ minutes at a time, often seemingly for no reason. The neighbors seem to be gone a lot, so it's possible the dog is just lonely or hungry. I feel bad for the little guy, but the shrill sounds REALLY bug me.

Fed up of being woken up at 2AM by the dog, my fiance brought out the ultrasonic anti-dog bark device he ordered from Amazon the other week. It seemed to work, but the very next day, my T (which had been stable for over 6 years) got MUCH worse. We've since turned the device off, but my T hasn't gotten better. It's almost been 2 weeks.

I'm not sure if the device caused my T increase, or if the dog barking itself did. The ironic thing is that the same night my fiance set up the device, I was sitting near the window and remember the yapping dog actually hurting my ears. (That's what got me to agree to turn on the stupid device.)

8. shasta0863

shasta0863 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2007
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      I contribute my ear issues being furthered from a loud, high pitch screaming dog next door. Did you ever attempt to record the db level with a meter? How close was the dog to where your window is? I know in a joint townhouse, our entry ways are shared and when dog comes out here he's no more than 10ft. from my window and easily hitting 95db at my window.

9. Venusa
      Pensive

Venusa Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I really should. Luckily (knock on the wood), the dog has stopped barking. I wonder if something happened to it or if someone else complained... Unfortunately, my T remains though...

10. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      I feel for you, @Venusa -- although, sadly, probably not the dog's fault. Dogs bark constantly if they are bored or frightened.

We have a miniature dachshund now and for such a little guy (9 lbs), he really does have a pretty big bark. He isn't yappy but like most doxies, he barks if someone is at the door or even walking outside on the sidewalk. They're pretty territorial. Fortunately, we have impact glass so you can't hear him from outside and he doesn't bother the neighbors. Inside, it bothers my tinnitus sometimes -- but he doesn't bark that much and I love him too much to give him up.

I would never allow my dog to bark constantly and disturb others, though. We take him to outdoor restaurants and sometimes, he'll start up if there is another dog around. If he doesn't calm down, we leave. People don't pay money to eat out and listen to our dog.

11. shasta0863

shasta0863 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2007
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      Wish I had you for a neighbor! lol. This women next door is so vile that after a year of her dog barking loudly in our joint entry way basically daily, she told us to "move" if we didn't like it. I never bought a dog, so people are insane to think we should be forced to undergo the noise abuse from it as if it's our own.

Sadly city laws aren't updated to handle these types of issues and best I can do is sue her, which doesn't shut the dog up. Sad all the way around.