Domestic Hi-Fi/Amplifiers/Speakers Making Tinnitus Worse? Recent Spike Has Me Worried

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by BigChair, Mar 7, 2021.

1. BigChair

BigChair Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not wearing my ear defenders at work
      Hi everyone, first post for me. I have had tinnitus since around 2010. It's been relatively loud for a few years now but doesn't generally bother me.

But in the last few weeks it has got louder. I had to replace my hi-fi about 3 weeks ago because it was making a buzzing sound and I suspected it was bad for my tinnitus, it seemed a bit louder. I bought a new amplifier which has great sound. In the past week my tinnitus has seemed to be even louder and I'm pretty worried. I have no idea if it's connected to the new amplifier or not. I don't tend to have it too loud. I mostly watch TV using it but listen to tunes a bit as well.

Anyone found a domestic hi-fi/amp/speakers to have made your tinnitus worse? Would really value any feedback or chat regarding this. Thanks in advance!

2. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      HI BigChair,

I am an Audiophile. Listening to music one evening and thought the music wasn't too loud made my tinnitus worse. Loud noise and tinnitus do not go well together so be careful, especially if you have noise induced tinnitus as the original cause. If you use headphones, earbuds, headsets, AirPods even at low volumes, there's a risk of making the tinnitus worse.

All the best
      Michael

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      BigChair

BigChair Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks for your reply. I don't use any type of headphones, I avoid them. I'm specifically looking for what could be making me spike at the moment, mostly I am watching TV with the amplifier connected. I don't have the volume too loud I don't think, but I can't think what else could be causing this. It's quite a formidable amp.

I suppose I am looking for any advice or insight to hi-fis and domestic amplifiers causing spikes even at relatively low volumes.

4. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      It doesn't matter what amplifier or speakers you use, if the sound is too loud it will spike the tinnitus. You may not think it's loud but the fact your tinnitus has spiked, makes me believe this is the case. There are many factors involved. For instance the sound bounces off the floor, ceiling and reflects off the walls in the listening room you are in. If you are using a sub-woofer, this can be more dangerous. You see, low level bass frequencies can spike the tinnitus if loud enough. If the original cause of your tinnitus was noise induced, this type of tinnitus spikes for one reason and that is the sound is too loud. You need to be careful and give your ears a rest.

Michael

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      BigChair

BigChair Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks again Michael. I am still not familiar with the controls on my amp, I suspect the bass is hefty though. I might stop running my TV through it and just use the TV's own speakers. And research the amp better so I can have it at a safer setting if possible. It has a lot of settings so maybe more can be done to cut out the worse frequencies.

• Friendly Friendly x 1