Don’t Expect Pro Musicians to “Raise Awareness” of Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Awareness & Fundraising' started by Bill Arsenault, Oct 29, 2019.

1. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      This is incorrect. If they have sensorineural hearing loss (the most likely problem for musicians), bone conduction isn't going to help: it will bring the vibration to the cochlea where it is not going to be picked up. Bone conduction only helps with conductive losses (such as when you suffer from "pure" otosclerosis).

• Informative Informative x 1
    2. HeavyMantra
      Bugridden

HeavyMantra Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Steadily worsening since 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Spoke to my musician friend he's over 50 now. Has enjoyed a life as a touring singer, not one show with earplugs. Says he thinks music sounds best when it's loud enough to hurt. Uses headphones all day every day.

Does he have tinnitus? No.

• Informative Informative x 2
    3. MRItechssuck
      Disappointed

MRItechssuck Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Severe 10/17/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise, MRI
      My personal thought is some musicians have different brains and they may be more prone to tinnitus. Has anyone ever found someone with perfect pitch have tinnitus?

I NEVER wore headphones, NEVER was in loud environments without earplugs. Yet I sat in with a friends band once next to a loud drummer without earplugs to play by ear and follow along... ONE TIME and got tinnitus 20 years ago.

My tinnitus then basically disappeared for over a decade, and I still always used earplugs... then had an MRI without earplugs in October... and yep... terrible tinnitus.

Everyone is different.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
    4. MRItechssuck
      Disappointed

MRItechssuck Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Severe 10/17/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise, MRI
      A musician can still play while deaf was the main point. I was thinking about my own playing on electric bass with earplugs in and unplugged and being able to hear through conduction... but true, I had ear that worked, they were just plugged.

5. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      It was? In that same post, you said:

That made sense to me, but now you're stating the opposite, so I admit you've confused me a bit.

Not that it matters too much - I only reacted to your statement about hearing via bone conduction, because I like people to have a good understanding of the difference between conductive and sensorineural losses, as it is key to understanding T. I meant no offense.

6. MRItechssuck
      Disappointed

MRItechssuck Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Severe 10/17/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise, MRI
      This goes back to Juan’s post which I was replying to.

“Could a musician continue working just playing the score even if he or she does not hear at all, or hears very little?”

Context... in the one case I was speaking to a musician playing in an orchestra to remain in tune with everyone else, but could follow along with “visual cues.”

A deaf musician can play, press the keys, etc. and play with an orchestra if intonation was not a concern... like a beginner band.

7. TheDanishGirl
      Sad

TheDanishGirl Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017 (H since 06/2017)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      long term noise exposure (headphones), maybe some stress.
      Well some just win the genetic jackpot. Lucky bastards.

• Agree Agree x 7
    8. Ed209

Ed209 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      Ain’t that the truth. A close friend of mine who has been a bass player in many bands I’ve been in has been exposed to possibly more noise than anyone on the planet and he has no tinnitus at all! He’s in his 40’s now. Maybe it’ll catch up with him later down the line. Who knows?

• Like Like x 1
    9. Shaz1
      Gloomy

Shaz1 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Wellbutrin / Noise Exposure
      Gotta assume body chemistry has something to do with it too, because... I prob had mild noise exposure related hearing loss and likely tinnitus I didn’t notice (but when younger definitely had day after concert ringing)..
      But then what set it off was medication, but there are lots of people who take the same medications without having tinnitus (though lots do get it, it’s still a small minority - wish I knew about the risk before)

So you gotta imagine there’s something about how your body chemistry and genetics reacts to the compounds that makes you more susceptible

(Just like how I have always had low alcohol tolerance / easy hangovers and my body can’t do spicy food anymore - largely genetic)

10. Dirtworks

Dirtworks Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Possibly loud power tools
      I have absolutely nothing but admiration for musicians, especially those whose music I enjoy. But, when I think of the hours spent practicing and performing it would seem likely that they should all suffer from tinnitus and deafness into middle age. I’m surprised the old ones aren’t writing songs about it.