Dr. Jastreboff on the Reasons for Failure in TRT ...

Discussion in 'Support' started by Dr. Nagler, Oct 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    1. beemovie

beemovie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov 2013
      From the year 1905: "Dr. Guy Clifford Powell has perfected a system of treatment that actually cures, as we know from its results. It is known us the Electro-Vibratory apparatus for the cure of deafness and head noises,"

http://www.nolindan.com/lindancollection/ql208.html

2. Sen
      Caffeine

Sen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      dunno
      The manner in which Dr. Jastreboff chose to express it.

I also see that you are now choosing to ignore Jastreboff's apparent dishonesty about Jason Diemilio.

3. Michael2013
      Happy

Michael2013 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      September 2013
      I'll be the first to say that we can't know what Jastreboff actually said based on that chat transcript, but I have to also say I am somewhat surprised to see his response was to flat out deny it altogether. I was expecting he would clarify what he actually said, rather than deny it completely or put it off on another Dr.

There was a mention in this thread of Jason Diemilio, so I did a quick search and found this post by Rob which also talks about his experience with Jastreboff: "TRT did not change the fact that he was still extremely sound-sensitive. Dr. Jastreboff felt that this was due to Jason's other health challenges -- which may have been neurologically based."

That seems to be two people saying the same thing, is it not?

-Mike

4. Michael2013
      Happy

Michael2013 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      September 2013
      I don't. Otherwise they wouldn't be funding things like this:

http://news.yahoo.com/experimental-cochlear-implant-treatment-could-improve-hearing-182249164.html

"In experiments on deaf guinea pigs, researchers found that the new technique, which uses cochlear implants to deliver DNA directly to the nerves, restored the animals' hearing to a near-normal level, according to the report, published today (April 23) in the journal Science Translational Medicine. Cochlear implants are electronic devices that can be surgically implanted to restore hearing in people whose deafness is caused by certain conditions.

If proven effective in humans, this experimental use of a cochlear implant to fix the nerves could offer significant improvement over current implants, the researchers said. For one, it could allow patients to hear and music."

-Mike

5. jss
      No Mood

jss Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise anxiety and antidepressants
      Amen valeri..

In my opinion TRT stands in the way of "real" progress... it has for years. This is 2014 We are looking for some significant noise reduction not learning to accept tinnitus as your friend. I truly hope Autifony, Otonomy and Auris Medical bury TRT someday or at least give us some options.

• Agree Agree x 3
    6. valeri

valeri Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      @jss
      Agree, but not only TRT!
      Neuromonics, CBT, mindfulnes....
      None of these therapies is a solution, it's a bandaid!
      I'm not saying that cbt or meditation is not beneficial in some areas of health, but when it comes to tinnitus we need a relief not somebody telling us to change the way we think.
      And at the end of the day it all comes down to money, audiology is a biiiiiiig business, lot of money to lose, but with all my heart I hope they all go bankrupt:)

• Agree Agree x 1