Ear Clicks When I Swallow

Discussion in 'Support' started by Merlin3201, Mar 15, 2019.

1. Merlin3201

Merlin3201 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Unknown
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Not sure how it happened but I woke up one day, a little less than a month ago but I got a bit of an earache.

Ever since then when I swallow, not all the time though, my ears click. There are a few times when it doesn't but that's not often enough.

Went to a walk-in clinic and was given Amoxicillin. That did nothing for me, I even finished all of it.

However, when I am lying down, it's not as bad.

Also, I get a bit of an earache on occasion when it happens.

It's certainly not a fun experience and I would love to get back to normal.

2. Ecip

Ecip Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Still unknown... possibly noise exposure?
      So they put you on antibiotics on a whim? No diagnosis of otitis media? Bacterial infection? Blood test???

Why do you not have a family doctor?

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Merlin3201

Merlin3201 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Unknown
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Um, not she looked in my ear and noticed some redness. So, she prescribed that. As for why I don't have a family doctor, that's simple, I don't go to the doctor that often. I believe it was otitis media actually. The only time I ever go is if I feel sick. Though, there are times when I get a cold that I get an ear infection, not all the time though. Been prescribed Amoxicillin before and it cleared up my ear infection. Either way, I may go to a different place next time and see what they say. Also, I didn't have insurance until a few years ago. So, I couldn't have a family doctor even if I wanted to.

4. Elinor
      No Mood

Elinor Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure and barotrauma
      It definitely sounds like you had a middle ear infection, one that was either viral or resistant to amoxicillin. The clicking is probably due to inflamed/clogged eustachian tubes. It's not uncommon that the tubes remain clogged for several weeks after an infection.

Hang in there! The clicking is likely to subside.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Merlin3201

Merlin3201 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Unknown
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I hope that you are right. Either way, I will try a different doctor. So far though, nothing is working. Sure I could try sudafed or flonase or something like that but I also heard that you can get addicted to it. Another thing is, is that whenever I eat, or hiccup (not always), it goes away at least temporarily.

6. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      My eustachian tubes have always clicked and get gummed up at times, I think it's normal. I wouldn’t go popping pills and sniffing steroids over it, seems a little extreme, Jesus. Maybe try some steam?

7. Ecip

Ecip Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Regardless how often you get sick, get a family doctor.

Otitis media, especially non severe otitis media, is never treated with antibiotics immediately. A doctor will inspect your ears. If otitis media is suspected, a 2 to 3 day waiting period follows where pain is managed with NSAIDs... if after 2 to 3 days there is improvement, no further action is needed. If after 2 to 3 days there is no improvement, or the infection worsens, then antibiotics are prescribed. Usually a doctor would also run a blood analysis to see if there is a bacterial infection or not.

Other than the clicking when you swallow, do you have pressure in your ear(s), muffled hearing, pain?
      Can you easily equalize pressure with the valsalva maneuver?

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Merlin3201

Merlin3201 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Unknown
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I have tried the valsava maneuver but could never do it. There's another one that I've used and it's called the toynbee maneuver and that's the easiest one for me and it seems to work. @Telis, I haven't ever had it before so it's kind of a scary thing. How long does it typically last for you? @Ecip, I can't always have a family doctor, since I am not sure how long I will be able to be insured. So, even if I did it's not like I will be able to see him/her all the time. Though, I do get a slight earache on occasion from it. It doesn't last long though but it's certainly not comfortable. I waited about a week before I went and got it looked at anyway. Just to see if it would clear up on its own, it didn't, which was why I went in the first place. It was also one of those in-store clinics if that makes sense. So, not sure if they do blood tests anyway. I have however been to an actual clinic, but it's one of those sliding scale ones. But there's no ENT there, assuming I needed one. I could give the steam a try though, but I doubt it will do much. Doesn't a hot shower have the same effect anyway?

9. Ecip

Ecip Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      The Toynbee maneuver works properly if you have something like the Otovent. You could also make one yourself, but for 20 bucks I'd just get the Otovent.

What do you mean, not sure how long you can stay insured? What 3rd world country are you in? lol

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Merlin3201

Merlin3201 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Unknown
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @Ecip, simple, my hours aren't consistent so if I don't get approximately 30 hours a week it will be discontinued. I was thinking about getting a eustachi though, but that was if I ever planned on flying. Last time I did it was extremely painful to land. So, I believe I also have/had barotrauma. What fun!

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Merlin3201

Merlin3201 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Unknown
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Well, I went to the ENT today. It was a waste of time actually. :( He basically told me to do a sinus rinse for a month and flonase. Though, I was hoping for something more. Oh well, what can I do? Anyway, that's all. Maybe that will fix the problem but I have my doubts. We shall see though. If no results in a month he wants me to schedule an appointment and he will look in my Eustachian tube.