Ear Pain and Pressure

Discussion in 'Dr. Stephen Nagler (MD)' started by MJC, Jun 14, 2015.

1. Dr. Nagler is not answering questions.
    Dismiss Notice
    1. MJC
      Depressed

MJC Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April
      Hello,

I unfortunately damaged my ears thru a work event at a Club 8 weeks ago. As a result I now have tinnitus- the high pitched sound goes up and down during the day and I can handle that part Upto a point. It's the pain, pressure and fullness that is distressing me and making me panic.

The pain alternates between the left and right ears - like needle pricks. The fullness and pressure is constant and is worse during the evening and morning.

My GP gave me beconase nose spray and said wait to see the ENT hospital doctor. It has not helped.

I am waiting for an appt with the ENT NHS UK Doctor .

My questions are-

1. Will the pain, pressure and blocked ear feeling go away?

2. Normally what can a Doctor do to help a patient in this situation?

I am at my wits end now- this is so distressing I don't know if I can deal with this anymore.

Any advice or help would be appreciated.

Thanks

2. Dr. Nagler

Dr. Nagler Member Clinician Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      I really don't know. It depends on what is causing the pain, pressure, and blocked ear feeling. The most common etiology for that triad of symptoms would be fluid in the middle ear (resulting in the pressure and blocked ear feeling) causing tension on your tympanic membrane (resulting in pain). But that's just a hunch. I suspect it is what your GP was thinking as well, which is likely why he or she prescribed Beconase.

Again, it depends on the etiology of your symptoms. At this point in time, I suggest you do whatever it takes to see that ENT consultant as soon as possible - even if it means going outside the NHS. That's the very best advice I can offer, especially since I'm not an ENT!

Dr. Stephen Nagler