Ear pain and tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by Mr. Cartman, Apr 17, 2014.

1. Mr. Cartman
      Artistic

Mr. Cartman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Im seriously struggeling with ear pain, fullness in both ears, a feeling of vacuum in my entire head and a weird feeling that my upper jaw is tight and this seriously hurts. My ENT says it's nothing wrong with my ears and MRI and CT is fine.

Anyone else that has experienced this along with their T?

2. cullenbohannon
      Thinking

cullenbohannon Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      I had this when mine started still gets aggravated from time to time but is almost non existent now. My ear pain I was told was from tensor Tympani syndrome. Don't know if that's what it is for you but there are threads about it.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mr. Cartman
      Artistic

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Thanks for your reply.

I suspect its the tensor tympani syndrome for me as well, but I never knew about this until recently.

Neither my ENT nor my GP told me anything about it.

It can be pretty severe from time to time.

Do you remember how long you had this pain before it started to go away?

4. cullenbohannon
      Thinking

cullenbohannon Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      Prob about two months in I started to get better. It has a lot to do with stress is what my doc told me. Unfortunately many docs don't know much about it. It still acts up from time to time but I'm way better you will get better as well

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mr. Cartman
      Artistic

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Thank you so much for your kind words. This pain is really getting to me. Painkillers wont work either nor does muscle relaxants.

Guess i just have to hang in there and give it some more time and keep the stress levels down :)

6. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      When i first got T the pain in my ears were horrible! I remember sitting in my
      Kitchen with the worse like sharp pain in my right ear, but happened to my left also at times and i started crying it hurt so bad.. And my T is like really quiet so i remember saying like omg ill take a louder T rather then this pain cause this is just ridiculous!!! Ofcorse i dont want either of them but after like 3 months the pain lessoned and now 6 months later its like a once in the blue moon kind of thing but not nearly as bad as it was in the beginning. And yea i remember poppin pills for it too and nothin helped. I went to an ent 3 weeks after i got T and he asked me do you have any pain or discomfort in your ears and i was like no. But ofcorse a week afterwards is when it kick in along with the fullnesss

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mr. Cartman
      Artistic

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      It's so great to hear that the pain is almost gone for you. Im seriously struggeling with this pain now.. Almost unbearable from time to time.. It has gotten slightly better though.. But still..

8. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      Im sorry :-/ it will get much better dont worry.

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mr. Cartman
      Artistic

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Thanks for your reply btw, very much appreciated :)

Yeah, I really hope so :)

I agree, I was also telling myself that i rather take a louder T than this pain.

I'd say my T is a walk in the park compared to this intense pain, like someone is poking needles inside my ears :p

10. Littlebailey

Littlebailey Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2014
      How did you guys get your T if you don't mind my asking?

11. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      Awww yeah ugh its a pain in the ASSSS. I hate when im tryin to hang with friends and have a good time and the pains there. And your welcome btw ;) makes me feel so much better knowing im not the only one that experiences these problems.

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mr. Cartman
      Artistic

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      I got it from a bomb blast.

You bailey? :)

13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mr. Cartman
      Artistic

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Indeed.. I hate that you have had it and still have it from time to time, but at least its nice to know that i am not alone as well. And yours seems to have gotten a lot better which is great :)

Yeah, I cant say I love hanging around too many people when it kicks in either :p

Guess time is our friend right now :)

14. Penelope33
      Torn

Penelope33 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 2013
      I had stuffed up ear/a and ear pain too at the onset of t. If I yawned hard it would really hurt like something was going to snap. No pain now but defo feels different to prior. I never used to notice anything going on with or inside my ears ....

15. Littlebailey

Littlebailey Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2014
      I'm not even sure. It could be my sinuses/tubes, and lousy ears, which probably is unlikely, although I do have maybe some of the symptoms. But mainly I figured it was noise. Not a bomb blast, but just a lot of headphone music over a lot of years. Or maybe it's stress. I've definitely been pretty stressed the last couple years. But my main very stressful episode was two years ago, and there was no T then.

But you got it from a bomb blast. Wow.

16. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      Im a drummer so the funny thing is i ways used ear protection not to protect my ears but cause i just love how the drums sound muffled.. Weird i know. But one day i was jammin away with my dad who plays guitar and i was in his music studio and we were recording stuff and he got a new tube amp and wanted to crank it to see how loud it got so im gonna say it was like 120 to 130 db in there and we played for like 40 minutes and like 20 mins in my ears felt like they broke and the pain was horrific ( now knowing that at 115 db its enough to cause pain threfshold) and it did so i stopped for bout 2 minutes. Then said fuck it i was havin alot of fun and did not know what T was at the time so continued to play and afterwards both ears were ringing soooo loud it was frighting (my dads were too but ofcorse his went away after a half hour) and my left one went away after an hour.. And the right one continued for 48 hours then woke up with it gone. But then 2 days later i realized that it wasnt gone just went down to an almost unnoticeable ring that i can only hear in a dead silent room but still freaks me out cause im just an anxiety prone person and fear it will get worse. Right ones lil louder then the left but both seem to have gotten better.. If it gets any more better it will basically be gone but im more protecting of my ears now.. Wear plugs when i go out and stuff. And btw i wasnt wearing ear defenders that day i got it.. If i did i probably would of never got T cause everytime i do wear them and drum my ears never ever rang afterwards.. So my stupidity but just grateful.. My ent said im real lucky i didnt do more damage.

17. Littlebailey

Littlebailey Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2014
      @Grace

Well that's awesome. It sounds like it's going to go away altogether. I mean it sucks to have any ringing at all, but your situation sounds like one where it could/will eventually go away altogether. And very smart to be real protective about them in the future.

I've definitely read a bunch of little anecdotes on the web about people who had some serious noise exposure like you did, and then it went away entirely after several months. Here's hoping for that! :)

18. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      Thankyou!! But idkk i have a feeling my
      Mild t is gonna stick around for a long time... Theres plenty of people that have mild T for years and years and then dont realize it until it spikes up where its actually audible to the ear without pluggin.. Its almost been 6 months and really no change.. Sometimes i think so but it can be reactive so i know its still there. But yeah id be happy to live my whole life like this but unfortunetly the world is a noisy place and you can only protect to a certain point :-/ i just fear for my dad and other family members that wear no protection what so ever. No matter how low my T is im still prayin and prayin that a good treatment comes out to reduce others.. So far looks like research is headin in a good direction i dont think were all gonna have to live with it forever just a matter of when now.

19. Littlebailey

Littlebailey Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2014

I'm in the same boat as you, mine is pretty mild, except for sleeping, when it seems like it's fairly loud. And I find myself saying if it stayed at this level forever, I could live with that. It's weird, I feel like I'm habituating well enough, even if gets a little louder from time to time. But it's still stressful.

It does seem like there's a lot of irons on the fire, and a decent number of things in the works as far as future treatments. And with so many Iraq/Afghanistan vets suffering from it, there's bound to be more research and for T to take on a bigger profile. So that's hopeful. Anyway, stay strong and be smart and all that. Seems like you've got a good attitude about the whole thing and are staying upbeat. I've come on the board a lot to keep my own spirits in a good place and I appreciate your posts.

20. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      Yeah definally... 1 billion a year in disability is just way ridiculous. Spend that money on research for a cure and then you can get it back years later when no ones disabled no more. I dont know where you live, but the U.S just makes me mad at times. But then again if they dont come up with something effective volume wise in treating T in next decade, the numbers will just rise
      And rise and the governments gonna crash eventually. Habuitations great and all but its not an effective treatment meaning all those vets will still be disabled and not be able to return to the battlefield. Sorry im rambling but you stay strong tooo and i enjoy your posts also :)

21. Liesel

Liesel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2013
      TMJ syndrome or bruxism, or both. Classic signs. Speaking as someone suffering from both and tinnitus as a result. Think about it, you jaw rests right up against the inner ear. Please see an orthodontist.

22. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mr. Cartman
      Artistic

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Maybe it could have been both for you (noise exposure + stress).. Im trying to figure out a little more about that muscle inside the ear.

Seems like so many people have the exact same symptoms, after noise exposure, stress, ear drum perforation, barometric pressure change.. the list goes on.