Ear Protection for Kids

Discussion in 'Support' started by Golly, Jun 8, 2014.

1. Golly
      Bookworm

Golly Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2011
      Hi All:

My young kids (ages 6 and 8) are going to see a show (STOMP) that is supposedly quite loud. I would like to give them adequate hearing protection, but the usual foam earplugs I use are too large. Can anyone recommend a brand of headphone-style ear protection suitable for children?

-Golly

2. Peltor makes sizes for kids... check out Amazon. :) I want some for my daughter too.

3. Ken219
      Frustrated

Ken219 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Summer of 1990
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure?
      I say 6 and 8 do not need to be exposed to loud noise. I would suggest it is not worth the risk. Not that important that they see 'Stomp'. Appears kids today are getting tinnitus younger from noise exposure.

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Golly
      Bookworm

Golly Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2011
      Thanks for your responses; I appreciate your input!

Whether or not the kids end up going to STOMP, I will go ahead and order the Peltor Junior ear-muffs. I agree that loud venues are no place for kids. But it seems that these environments are sometimes unavoidable. We live in New York City where noise is pervasive. (I have measured the passing subway trains to be as loud as 95db!) So, going forward, I will at least be able to offer the kids some protection/relief when we are in a noisy situation.

-Golly

• Agree Agree x 2
    5. all to gain
      No Mood

all to gain Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      -
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
      I've started getting really worried about my kids and the thought of them ever getting tinnitus.
      Any tips on what to do and what not to do? I don't want to go too far and overprotect, but I want to do the best I can to help them not get tinnitus. They are very young at the moment. Should they be wearing ear defenders etc on planes?

When they are older I will advise them about going to nightclubs, rock concerts, loud pubs, professions that cause hearing loss and tinnitus, medication risks, family history etc, but I just wondered about the time from now until that age.

6. Digital Doc

Digital Doc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      Good idea to get the children some hearing protection, and teach them appropriate use. At the younger ages, the ear muffs are more appropriate. They do make some child size earplugs, and there are slim fit ones marketed to women, but your children at those ages may be a little young for them still, depending on the size of their ear canals.

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. Michael B
      No Mood

Michael B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      '11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      I agree with @Digital Doc that it is important to teach kids to protect their hearing at an early age. And good for you for looking into protection.

8. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      My wife has some genetic hearing loss on her side in addition to my issues; we've had kid-fitting ear defenders around the house since she was 18 months old.

Sometimes when she was around that age, I'd put her in a carrier and we'd both put on muffs and go out and weed-whack / etc. I have pictures of myself at the same age in a carrier as my mother runs a gas mower -- with no ear protection on either of us ;)

People are more aware to some extent now; I took kiddo to a small local rock festival recently and our kiddo was not the only one running around in ear defenders. (It was only 80-90db where we were anyways, outdoors, so only borderline warranted given ~60 mins exposure).

9. all to gain
      No Mood

all to gain Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      -
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
      Should I have them wear ear muffs/defenders when flying? On taking off, inflight and on landing? What about ear pressure and all that?

10. Digital Doc

Digital Doc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced