Ear Protection for Kids

Discussion in 'Support' started by Golly, Jun 8, 2014.

tinnitus forum
    1. Golly
      Bookworm

Golly Member Benefactor Team Awareness Team Research

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2011
      Hi All:

My young kids (ages 6 and 8) are going to see a show (STOMP) that is supposedly quite loud. I would like to give them adequate hearing protection, but the usual foam earplugs I use are too large. Can anyone recommend a brand of headphone-style ear protection suitable for children?

-Golly

2. Peltor makes sizes for kids...check out amazon. :) I want some for my daughter too.

3. Ken219
      No Mood

Ken219 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Summer of 1990
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure?
      I say 6 and 8 do not need to be exposed to loud noise. I would suggest it is not worth the risk. Not that important that they see 'Stomp'. Appears kids today are getting tinnitus younger from noise exposure.

4. Marlene
      English

Marlene Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bacterial virus
      I'm in agreement with you Ken,if my 2 kids were young,no way on this planet I would take them to a loud film,if you got something on TV,you at least can monitor the noise level.With my own long term tinnitus ,I keep the volume at a level my ears can endure,never been to a cinema since having tinnitus.Each to there own,down to choices we make,and mine wasn't noise induced,but I've learnt plenty over time,as to the dos and donts.
      My advice Golly,wait till it comes out on DVD,you'll have the volume control then.

5. Golly
      Bookworm

Golly Member Benefactor Team Awareness Team Research

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2011
      Thanks for your responses; I appreciate your input!

Whether or not the kids end up going to STOMP, I will go ahead and order the Peltor Junior ear-muffs. I agree that loud venues are no place for kids. But it seems that these environments are sometimes unavoidable. We live in New York City where noise is pervasive. (I have measured the passing subway trains to be as loud as 95db!) So, going forward, I will at least be able to offer the kids some protection/relief when we are in a noisy situation.

-Golly

• Agree Agree x 2