Ear Ringing

Discussion in 'Support' started by Valz1278, Apr 18, 2016.

1. Valz1278

Valz1278 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hello, I'm here to consult about this constant ringing in my right ear. It is also followed by a numb feeling around my right ear. The noise is a high frequency ringing, similar to those from old TV sets.

My ear started ringing last week, when I was bedridden with a fever, sore throat, cough, and probably a cold. As I recall, it was 12 AM by then, and I woke up with my right ear ringing and hurting a lot, to the point that rendered me unable to sleep. It went on for around 4 hours, and I fell back to sleep. I wasn't sure if the pain has subsided by then, or my sleepiness just took over by force.

In the morning, I woke up finding that my ear wasn't hurting anymore, but the ringing still remains with a numb feeling. It does annoy me at first, but then I decided to adapt with it. I have tried closing my ears but it seems like the ringing came from the inside. I tried browsing the internet to find a cause that looks reasonable to me but there isn't any for now.

I'm planning to see a doctor some time soon but I decided to consult here beforehand.

2. seal

seal Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2007
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      First step would be to consult an ENT to see if you have an ear infection or a wax build up clogging your ear. What you experience is indeed tinnitus. Hopefully in your case only temporary tinnitus!

3. Owen
      Disappointed

Owen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unclear. Inflammatory allergic reaction/AIED
      Colds and flu are a relatively common cause of tinnitus. There are several modes for this.
      Inflammation putting pressure on the auditory system,
      Inflammation and/or infection causing blockages in the ET and hence fluid to collect in the ear
      Infection getting into the ear and attacking the ear.

As already suggested, you should seen an ENT, or at the very least your GP to rule out fluid in the ear and infection.