Ear Wax/Ear Irrigation Advice Needed!

Discussion in 'Support' started by SGA, Apr 16, 2017.

1. SGA

SGA Member

Tinnitus Since:
      24/03/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I have an appointment to get wax removed from my left ear via ear irrigation (water pulse machine) in a few days.

Coincidentally, my left ear is the one causing the most trouble since the ringing started three weeks ago. I still don't know for sure what has caused this. At first I thought I had an adverse reaction to an SSRI drug (Citalopram) but I'm not sure, I'm hoping the problem is wax so the ear irrigation puts an end to this.

My right ear is very quiet now, which is a good thing. I can't tell if there's any ringing coming from it, since I'm distracted by the loudness in my left ear. So my right ear may be totally T free now, I hope.

I've been using olive oil drops for the last week and it keeps on causing my ear to feel clogged which spikes the ringing a lot which then causes me to panic. Now I can hear it well over the TV.

There isn't a chance olive oil could damage my ears is there? The noise hasn't gone down since the spike two days ago which happened right after applying the olive oil. Someone said this is the result of the wax interacting with the oil and should only be temporary.

I really need advice. I literally have no idea if I'm doing the right thing and I'm TERRIFIED of doing further damage to my ears. I've always had perfect hearing until this ringing started on March 24th.

2. butterfly75
      No Mood

butterfly75 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      I don't think olive oil can have any negative effect on the ears. I've used it in that way as well and nothing happened, but it may be because of ear wax build up. If the olive oil isn't helping, the irrigation may be necessary like you mentioned, so going to the appointment might help.