Early Meniere's, or Autoimmune?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Coyotesheaven, Sep 29, 2016.

tinnitus forum
    1. Coyotesheaven
      Depressed

Coyotesheaven Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/18/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma, Dysautonomia/Vascular
      I am really concerned that I am coming down with Meniere's disease.

I have been losing my low frequency hearing by a few decibels every day, having lost 10 something decibels over the course of one week in one ear (Sept.23) (it feels much worse now in both ears). The losses started in mid August from a migraine attack and an MRI, but since about Sept.10 it has been dropping noticeably and progressively every single day. At this rate, deafness in at least the low tones has become a realistic possibility in the next few months for me :/
      I also have a sporadic gushing water/very low frequency roaring tinnitus in both of my ears, which is aggravated by: sitting down, lots of activity, doing certain movements with my arms. It is scaring the hell out of me because I feel that I provoke this odd tinnitus no matter what I do. I almost wonder if it is a vascular phenomenon, because it is always provoked by me doing anything that changes the blood pressure in my head.

I do not have episodes of rotary vertigo or dizziness at the present, however, which makes me wonder if it is something else and not classical Meniere's disease.

My other theory is that I am having an autoimmune phenomenon. I got my blood tests back today. Negative for lyme and any of the co-infections, so I was wrong with that theory. On the other hand, I had something wrong with my one type of my leukocyte levels (way too low), and by what my doc's told me my immune system appears to be stressed and over-reacting to certain stimuli, suggesting that there could be some autoimmune processes occurring in my ears. In addition, I do posses a (CLA?) marker for autoimmune inner ear disease, which is just supposed to lead to a predisposition for autoimmune attacks.

Anyway, any insight is greatly valued right now.
      My depression levels have skyrocketed because of this progressive hearing loss, and I just feel completely hopeless about my future or having any enjoyment out of the world without sound. Ever time I lose another sound, I feel as if someone just came by our house and shot the family dog. I just can't deal with this anymore...

2. Fairy
      Cool

Fairy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Talk to glynsis on here. She can help somewhat. and she is really nice.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    3. Jkph75

Jkph75 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/27/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      So, how do you know that you are losing your low frequency hearing?

4. Coyotesheaven
      Depressed

Coyotesheaven Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/18/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Jkph75

I can tell you that the volume of motorcycles, airplanes, my mom's excessive volume on the TV, etc has been halved or significantly reduced in loudness. I also have a hard time picking up on the very low frequencies in my music, which is the hardest part for me.
      I also can't hear my parents talking in the room right next to me, whereas 1 month ago it was no problem! One just knows perceptually that something is wrong.
      In terms of audiometric testing, most of my loss is below 250 hz it seems; so far, they have detected a 10 db loss at 250 hz in one of my ears, which happened over a single week! Below that range it must be at least 15-20 decibels within just a month.

5. glynis-harbron
      Feminine

glynis-harbron Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Ambassador Team Awareness Team Research

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      @Coyotesheaven ,
      I would get seen at ENT for hearing tests and a routine MRI and they will test you for Menieres Disease also rule out other inner ear problems .
      If your vertigo etc gets to troublesome and bouncy vission or motion sickness ask your doctor about Betahistine or Proclorperazine medication to help you as they are the first line of defence for Menieres along with a low salt diet and diuretics...lots of love glynis

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    6. Jkph75

Jkph75 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/27/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Looking at the audiograms you posted it looks like your hearing in that frequency has gone back and forth between 5 and 10 db. That is only a 5 db change, so that is just test retest variation not a real change. What you have described doesn't seem to fit with Meniere's. I'm not a doctor, so would obviously want to get a dr's opinion. What I do know is that anxiety can greatly alter your perceptions. You can't rely on these things as being indicative of anything. The best thing you can do is to get some objective data. You can test your hearing on your phone. I do and it has helped my anxiety immensely when I think that I am not hearing well. You can't compare it to your other tests but you can compare it to itself. There are also online tests of hearing below 250 Hz. You could use those to get an idea of what is going on below 250 Hz.

7. Coyotesheaven
      Depressed

Coyotesheaven Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/18/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @glynis-harbron

Thank you for your advice. I have done all the ear tests out there aside from an Ecog because of the noise. MRI was clean of the head and neck and so were the MRA's of both regions. Last audiogram was 2 weeks ago and it was not ideal in high and low frequencies in the right ear...may need to get another one soon. I might also consider a new CT scan of my ears...haven't had one in a year, and it was performed before the majority of my problems surfaced.

Right now I am suspecting abnormally high muscle tension in my neck and TMJ, which many be responsible for causing secondary Meniere's symptoms. Have you interacted with people on this site or in person who have Meniere's symptoms as a result of abnormal muscle tension in the head and neck?

Regarding the betahistine and the other prescription med, can it help with tinnitus and hearing loss? I am getting rotary vertigo in my sleep now, but it's not enough to need a prescription med. correction. I am not getting on diuretics, but I am watching for solute content in my food now. I did eat a bit too much sugar yesterday...could have easily contributed to everything.

8. glynis-harbron
      Feminine

glynis-harbron Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Ambassador Team Awareness Team Research

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      The meds help sickness and vertigo but not tinnitus...lots of love glynis