Earplug Got Stuck in Ear — Huge Tinnitus Spike After Removing It (Vibrational Noise)

Discussion in 'Support' started by TheHonoredOne, Sep 28, 2021.

1. TheHonoredOne

TheHonoredOne Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Vaccine
      Hello,

I'm not sure what to do now after an earplug got stuck in my left ear. My left ear canal is very small so, after taking a shower, when I tried to remove the earplug in my ear, it took me five minutes of fighting with it and continuously mushing it just to pry it out. I saw some dried blood on it maybe from trying to force it out. I tried to be as gentle as possible but still ended up making a huge amount of vibrational noise since I had to force it out.

This all happened 24 hours ago last night. Since then my left ear is screaming loud and hurting a lot. It's a huge spike. I took NAC, Magnesium and a multivitamin. I also took 15 mg Methylprednisolone last night.

Currently I have 28 mg of Methylprednisolone left. Should I take it? I'm not sure if I should because this is the last Prednisone I have and I don't think I will be able to convince a doctor to prescribe any more for me (the doctors I see don't like to give it at all). I'm just not sure if using it right now is the smart thing or to save it for a future potential worse event. This spike is really terrible.

Thanks.

2. Wrfortiscue
      Cowabunga

Wrfortiscue Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Trauma
      Do you think the noise caused by the vibration is loud enough to warrant steroids? I thought steroids are mainly only good for sudden hearing loss?

I think it should go away imo.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    3. Damocles
      No Mood

Damocles Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otitis media
      You're in your early days of tinnitus, thus super heightened reactivity and susceptibility to spikes.

This was my life for the first three years.

@Wrfortiscue is right, try not to panic, it will go down. (All my spikes used to feel like the end of the world also..)

My opinion: I don't think the Prednisone is necessary. But do take your NAC, Turmeric/Curcumin, Zinc, Magnesium and B Vitamins etc.

For future reference: I too have had (foam) ear plugs get stuck in my ear canals (after going to the gym). When this happens, get a pair of tweezers (best if you can get another person to do it, but if not don't worry; I've had to do it myself every time), tweeze the centre of the ear plug, then twist and pull very gently.

I too have had spikes from the same thing, and none of them were permanent.

Also: try not to touch your ear canal now unless you've disinfected your hands. The fact that you've found blood means you could infect the outer ear; so just leave it alone for a while. No more earplugs (for about 2 or 3 days), and use ear defenders/muffs when you need protection.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Winner Winner x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      TheHonoredOne

TheHonoredOne Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Vaccine
      Thanks @Damocles for the tip when it gets stuck. I ended up not taking the Prednisone. I am using ear defenders now so I don't hurt anything further.

• Like Like x 1