Effect of Nurofen Plus (ibuprofen + codeine) on Tinnitus Suppression?

Discussion in 'Alternative Treatments and Research' started by MissionForTheCure, Jul 17, 2013.

1. MissionForTheCure
      Woot

MissionForTheCure Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2009
      Hi All,

Wondering if anyone knows any of the possible compound effects from Nurofen Plus tablets (available in the UK and presumably abroad) that could have an effect on suppressing tinnitus symptoms?

I know it is essentially a pain killer for headaches and back pain but I had a really bad day with my T yesterday, woke up with a headache around 3am this morning, took a Nurofen Plus, felt fine when I woke up in the morning and have barely noticed the T whilst at work today.

Couple of other points:
      - I had 7 hours sleep last night (normally aim for 9 hours!) - I'm wondering if LESS sleep may help with the tinnitus and I am normally oversleeping or;
      - the Nurofen is having some form of positive effect
      - I 've also been quite busy at work today which I know helps take my mind off it

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nurofen

I'm trying to detect ANYTHING that helps take the edge off so wondering if anyone else has come across this!

Thanks,
      Mission

2. carlover
      English

carlover Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Hiya Mission I can't say about the T but not being funny, my mum got addicted to those, as you are probably aware Codeine turns into Morphine when it's in the body. I think they are fantastic for headaches but be careful!!!

3. Deep
      Balanced

Deep Member

I find when I sleep 9+ hours my T is louder than when I sleep 8.

As for Nurofen I am not sure, maybe I'll pop one soon as tell you if I notice anything different.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      MissionForTheCure
      Woot

MissionForTheCure Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2009
      Hi Carlover, Deep,

Very aware of addiction properties of codeine and certainly wouldn't want to become dependent, not the goal here! Just found it coincidental that after having it in the early hours, the T has been much more manageable today.

Equally the sleep aspect is interesting and hadn't thought of this, I wonder if oversleeping is having an impact causing an increased perception of T. I may try aiming for shorter amount of sleep for a month and see how I get on, or run a trial 2 weeks at a time aiming for different intervals, like 7 hours, 7.5 hours, 8 hours etc.. In fact will give this a go starting this Saturday and will keep a log, but certainly try not to focus on the tinnitus, just keep a note of its been difficult or easier to manage!

5. yonkapin

yonkapin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2012
      Just be aware that ibuprophen will sometimes increase T (temporarily) in some people and chronic use at high doses can possibly be ototoxic (chronic/high dose use is bad for the whole body actually!), you'd be better off using something with paracetamol and codeine instead (just get a generic).

I've actually found that doxylamine succinate will suppress my tinnitus: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doxylamine - will probably make a thread about it soon, they put it in somenthing called mersyndol here and stuff like nyquil overseas.

6. Deep
      Balanced

Deep Member

how does Doxylamine suppress T for you, give you relief / quite ringing / no ringing?

7. yonkapin

yonkapin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2012
      I don't want to get anyone too excited because I haven't properly evaluated it but after having used doxylamine on and off for a while now I'm pretty sure I experience a reduction in my T when I do take it. I notice that when I wake up after having had maybe 12.5-25mg, my tinnitus is usually more calm than it is when I don't. It wouldn't be too surprising since it's messing with/surpressing the central nervous system. The drawbacks are that I'll be drowsy for like 12 hours after taking it (I think they say the half life is like 8 hours) and I think it messes with my stomach a bit, they also don't recommend it's use for more than 10 consecutive days.

I'll keep an eye on it and let you guys know.

8. Per

Per Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      ibuprofen + codeine is on the T cause list, so I wouldn't bet on it to improve T if it in fact can create T. I did quite some amounts of ibuprofen + codeine in the months prior to my T. I can only speculate to what extent it contributed, but it's always on the list of potential T creators.

9. Jill Edmonds
      Artistic

Jill Edmonds Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/12/2003
      Regarding the sleep issue - does any one have a big spike with T after a nap?
      I avoid naps now as the T is unbearable!